Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   TLFR live- Borgata was great (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=19369)

jedijovi 11-15-2003 09:27 PM

TLFR live- Borgata was great

Two fallacies disproved last night- that this is in any way shape or form elevator music or that Richie is missing in action. Read below and see what it was like to watch TLFR (you know the should have been free CD :wink: ) come alive. I was privileged to be part of such a special night.

The band consisted of the Bon Jovi band of course, Everett Bradley on percussion, Bobby Bandiera (Jersey shore music legend and guitarist for Southside) on guitar, and another Juke (don't know his name) on keyboards with Dave. These musicians were in addition to the five guys in the Bon Jovi band.

They came out after a funny comedian who warmed up the crowd. They started with Wanted just like the CD, then into Prayer but they had to re start because it was too high a key for Jon. Prayer was also reshot at the end and the passion the second time was amazing- the first two takes on Wanted and Prayer I almost had a sense of they were feeling their way- the second time with those songs at the end they nailed it. No Olivia D'Abo- Jon incorporated some of her styling (the inflection on love) into his singing and Richie was backing up again. The night however was not just the 12 songs from the album. There were 20 songs total so 8 were not TLFR. 2 of them were the two new songs left off- you can tell Jon was not a happy camper about that either and I am so happy that it looks like they will be on the DVD. Last Man Standing was introduced with Jon's inspiration for this song which is the sad state of the music industry. I really need lyrics- what I could tell was amazing and should be required listening. The song is great- kind of a Bob Segar feel and it really should be a single in my opinion. It was also re-recorded at the end. Thief of Hearts I also loved- hope it makes it on the CD. Jon was so cute about needing the lyric sheets for those.

Other songs that were played- Saturday Night, Misunderstood, A breathtaking version of Blood on Blood and a real highlight, a seventies oldie called Sylvia's Mother which was amazing- they did a wonderful job on it,it was so awesome. Highlights of the TLFR stuff- IML was beautiful as expected and Richie was incredible playing the whatchamacallit (not the name, Jon said anyone who knew the name of this Greek instrument would get to sleep in his room-LOL), Bad Medicine (ladies loved this one!), Bad Name with the dance moves and bluesy feel was all I hoped it would be and more, Bed of Roses and Always (both just beautiful). And Lay Your Hands on Me was kind of neat with big hands up on the screen- it still was like the Lion King to me but I liked it! Very moving intro to Everyday- he talked about what 911 meant and why that song came into place and Jon felt that the new version brought out the meaning- I had tears in my eyes.

They had some technical difficulties which led the band to jam instrumentally followed by an impromptu Love For Sale which was smokin'. Too bad it wasn't being filmed. Two comments- these songs really come alive in the live performance, there is nothing boring or sleepy about them, the musicians did a wonderful job and considering all of the sounds they needed to incoporate it was not an overly huge group of musicians- just the finest from the Jersey Shore. And that leads me to another point- Richie was just amazing. Put to rest the silly notion that Richie is missing in action for this project- he was so impressive with acoustic, slide (Bad Medicine, BTBMB), the whatchamacallit - just brilliant. At times Mark Knopfler like. The band was cohesive- I really wish Jon had introduced the band, I hope he does tonight.

OK, what you all want to know - Jon had on flared jeans and the yellow/beige button down shirt that I think is the same as the one on my avatar from the Bandiera benefit. It was warm in there and he said he did not expect to sweat so much at this gig Later in the evening some girls asked him to take off his shirt, and he said only if they go first. Jon was playful- lots of banter about Jersey, the Rat pack. Even with some glitches it went smoothly last night.

An amazing night of music and this DVD should more than rival an Evening with Bon Jovi if they catch the highlights of last night. Those who are going tonight be prepared for a great night!

Val

Mike 11-15-2003 09:34 PM

Thanks for posting Val!!

Mousebounce 11-15-2003 09:39 PM

Thank you! Great review. :D

Thomas Anderson 11-15-2003 09:46 PM

You said they played the extra few tracks (Blood on Blood etc)...did they do it in This Left feels Right style, or just Jon and Richie on acoustic guitar?

Kev 11-15-2003 09:50 PM

Re: TLFR live- Borgata was great

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedijovi
Later in the evening some girls asked him to take off his shirt, and he said only if they go first

LMAO!!!
:lol:
Thanks a lot for a brillaint review, it was a great pleasure to read..cant wait for the dvd now :D

Beavoid 11-15-2003 09:51 PM

2 quaestions:

Did they do any kind of Q and A with the audience?
AND...
so what's the name of this 'instrument'? that richie played???? Anyone???!
A baglamas...a bouzouki???

:)
heh heh, I read only the important things

B

Lise 11-15-2003 10:14 PM

Great review! Thanks! I'm looking forward to the webcast! :lol:

Jag 11-15-2003 10:24 PM

wondered if nayone could give a setlist? ive been searching for one but cant find it :(

Supersonic 11-15-2003 10:31 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Thief of Hearts I also loved- hope it makes it on the CD. Jon was so cute about needing the lyric sheets for those.
That is not cute. That's stupid. He's probably singing it only 2 times live in his entire life, and can't sing it without needing a lyrical sheet.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

RyanBounce04 11-15-2003 10:34 PM

Needing a lyrical sheet is pretty bad...

Ryan