Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Buffalo Bills fans protesting vs JBJ (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68544)

bwehehehe 05-22-2014 07:44 PM

Buffalo Bills fans protesting vs JBJ

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...c-ban/9367135/

Quote:

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — As far as some Buffalo Bills fans are concerned, rock musician Jon Bon Jovi can live on a prayer anywhere but western New York.

A Bills fans club recently founded to keep the NFL team in western New York has started an online petition to ban songs by Bon Jovi. The New Jersey rocker has been linked to a Toronto-based developer interested in purchasing a franchise and moving it to Canada's largest city.

The founders of 12th Man Thunder are asking Buffalo-area bars to ban Bon Jovi's music from being played by DJs, live bands or juke boxes. They say so far 28 businesses have established "Bon Jovi Free Zones."

The group says more than 3,500 people have signed its online petition supporting efforts to keep the Bills in western New York.

rocknation 05-22-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwehehehe (Post 1176904)

And what is the nature of this "link" -- is he one of the investors of the Toronto group or is he not? And it seems that problem isn't that he wants to buy the team, but that that it would be moved. If it's true at all.

danfan 05-22-2014 08:14 PM

Maybe if Buffalo could win a few games every year, they would be worth something.

rocknation 05-22-2014 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation (Post 1176905)
And what is the nature of this "link" -- is he one of the investors of the Toronto group or is he not?

Donald Trump and Jon Bon Jovi mentioned as buyers for Buffalo Bills

Quote:

It's not every day — or every year — an NFL franchise goes on the market as the Bills are, following owner Ralph Wilson's death last month...

Wilson's wishes to have the team sold rather than passed on to his family raise the possibility of the Bills relocating from the city that's been home for more than 50 years. Toronto and Los Angeles are potential landing spots because owners would have an opportunity to make more money than in Buffalo, the NFL's second-smallest market...

Without providing names, Erie County deputy executive Richard Tobe said he has been approached by as many as 10 prospective ownership groups, which he has told to contact the team. The Bills were valued by Forbes last year at $870 million, but the sale price could go higher...

...Bon Jovi...is linked to Larry Tanenbaum, a Toronto-based developer and chairman of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which controls the NBA Raptors and NHL Maple Leafs. Though Bon Jovi and Tanenbaum have close ties, no formal relationship has been made between the two involving a potential purchase of the Bills and relocating them to Toronto.

Bon Jovi's representative, Ken Sunshine, said, "Jon is passionate about owning an NFL team," but steered clear of any mention of the Bills.
In other words, it's just a lot of hype at this point. Jon hasn't got enough to buy -- or even more important, to sustain -- a team himself, and even if the Tanenbaum "link" were real, he must realize that he'd be a small fish in a big pond. He doesn't have the money or experience to maintain a controlling interest -- unless he just wants a piece of a team as retirement income.

Spidey5150 05-23-2014 08:11 PM

I live in Buffalo! Go Bills!

Yeah, the perception is JBJ would want to move the Bills & thus fans have decided to protest. I don't think it's really caught fire however. Then again, I avoid local news. Only see an occasional post on twitter on the matter. He is at least banned from 1 local establishment, the Amherst Ale House, per their twitter page.

This is the flyer that's theoretically going around: https://twitter.com/NoToronto/status...212032/photo/1

If I ever find my self at a bar that is actively protesting Bon Jovi, I'll be sure to let you guys know.

Dave88 07-21-2014 04:07 PM

Bon Jovi Group Reportedly Wouldn't Move Bills

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...stern-new-york

rocknation 07-21-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave88 (Post 1180403)

Quote:

The group includes Larry Tanenbaum and the Rogers family. Tanenbaum is chairman of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which controls the NHL's Maple Leafs and NBA's Raptors. The Rogers family includes Edward Rogers, who is deputy chairman of Rogers, the Toronto communications giant.

Bon Jovi, Tanenbaum and the Rogers family each would have a one-third share in the team, but Bon Jovi would be the principle owner if the group's bid is accepted...

The group is on a list of prospective buyers who have submitted a nondisclosure agreement form to Morgan Stanley, the banking firm overseeing the Bills sale...
He'd be a principal owner, huh? Hope he hasn't said anything racist, sexist, or homophobic lately!

trevrox 07-21-2014 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation (Post 1180413)
He'd be a principal owner, huh? Hope he hasn't said anything racist, sexist, or homophobic lately!

That would be very disappointing! Don't think Jon is that kind of guy though

rocknation 07-21-2014 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevrox (Post 1180423)
That would be very disappointing! Don't think Jon is that kind of guy though

Something might be dug up from his past, especially in the sexism department. Just yesterday, the National Football League suspended and fined a coach for suggesting that gays be "rounded up and nuked." Lucky for Jon that some of his best friends are minorities! :D

DevilsSon 07-22-2014 03:54 AM

Yup, the last tour just brought in the spare change he still needed and now he can go for his egomaniac dream of being the owner of an NFL club. While his 80s heavy metal peers own chicken restaurants, the man goes for the big time. Fair play to him, if I was as rich, I'd surely try to buy some sort of mega-toy to keep me entertained. I just wish once in a while, there was a news article saying how he's taking some vocal coaching...but I guess he's well beyond that point.