Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   NBJ - Everything Else (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What football team do you support? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=53609)

nickolai 10-30-2011 08:37 PM

What football team do you support?

I support the mighty Villa. Except not so mighty anymore. What do you get a kick out of more? A Bon Jovi concert or watching your team pummel your rival - live at the stadium! Seeing us batter Birmingham 5-1 to virtually send them down was probably the best euphoria I've had.

Whats your view?

Jim Bon Jovi 10-30-2011 08:54 PM

Rangers.

Seeing them hammer Celtic is one of life's great pleasures. Even the build up and the aftermath has you buzzing for a week, a Jovi gig doesn't even come close.

samboraisgodUK 10-30-2011 09:24 PM

I'm a huge Burnley fan. Nickolai we can bond over playing in Claret & Blue haha.

I find it really hard to choose, I look forward to Jovi gigs from when they're announced pretty much whereas there's matches every week. I think both are fairly comparable though, I can't get to as many matches as I'd like so there's something to be said about the whole day surrounding each event that adds to the excitement and the buzz.

KeepTheFaith2211 10-30-2011 09:36 PM

Newcastle United.

One year ago tomorrow was the most euphoric I've ever felt. My first local derby - 5-1 at home to sunderland. F*cking hell. I love football at times.

samboraisgodUK 10-30-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepTheFaith2211 (Post 1076242)
Newcastle United.

One year ago tomorrow was the most euphoric I've ever felt. My first local derby - 5-1 at home to sunderland. F*cking hell. I love football at times.

But at times it's so incredibly depressing. Clough (i think, someone correct me if it was someone else) summed it up the best when he was asked "is football a matter of life and death?" and he answered "It's much more important than that"

Obviously that's a little over the top but some people just don't get it, my mum can never understand why after watching Burnley play pathetically and being soundly beaten a team that aren't anything special my Dad and I are in a bad mood for the rest of the day haha

nrm123 10-30-2011 10:31 PM

A few years back i used to support Man Utd but i dont really follow football anymore. I think the players are over paid to fall over and play dead until they get the ball

dcj28 10-30-2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1076244)
But at times it's so incredibly depressing. Clough (i think, someone correct me if it was someone else) summed it up the best when he was asked "is football a matter of life and death?" and he answered "It's much more important than that"

Obviously that's a little over the top but some people just don't get it, my mum can never understand why after watching Burnley play pathetically and being soundly beaten a team that aren't anything special my Dad and I are in a bad mood for the rest of the day haha

Bill Shankly said that.

Man City for me, so last weekend was quite good....:D

Jim Bon Jovi 10-30-2011 11:42 PM

Related question: What is you most cherished footballing memory?

It's a toss up between:

Seeing Rangers beat Fiorentina to qualify for the UEFA cup final a few years back was special.

or

Helicopter Sunday as it's now dubbed. Last game of the season, Celtic only had to win to take the title and were on course to do so at 80 minutes even though Rangers were winning their game comfortably.

A helicopter was planted halfway between both stadiums (Rangers were away to Hibs that day and Celtic were at Motherwell) and it took off in the direction of Parkhead only to have to turn around (caught on camera :D ) and head for Edinburgh when Celtic lost an equaliser. They ended up losing the game in the end but it was all over by then anyway.

I was working in a bar that day, clocked off just after the games finished and got absolutely shitfaced. Myself and my buddy who was out just kept looking at each other and bursting into fits of laughter all night because we couldn't believe it.

Incredible.

bonjovi821 10-31-2011 12:39 AM

The Packers, only because my stepdad agreed that if they win every game and the Superbowl that we get to take a cruise. Otherwise I really have no interest in football at all.

KeepTheFaith2211 10-31-2011 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1076244)

Oh without a doubt. Newcastle's relegation in 2009 and the sale of Andy Carroll to Liverpool are probably my worst memories (and they're very, very recent, too). I remember at both times I felt so disillusioned that nothing mattered. I got a new job on the same day as Carroll's sale and could hardly celebrate. I was so gutted.

TwinFan 10-31-2011 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi821 (Post 1076251)
The Packers, only because my stepdad agreed that if they win every game and the Superbowl that we get to take a cruise. Otherwise I really have no interest in football at all.

Wrong football, cheesehead.

But if that's the case, go Vikings!

Walkerboy 10-31-2011 11:30 AM

I've been a Spurs fan for the last 20+ years, which has always been full of ups and downs.
All looking pretty good at the moment, though we could do with a new centre-back for when Ledley succumbs to more long term injury.

Also go along to watch MK Dons with my 5 year old when it's cheap.....

nickolai 10-31-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1076241)
I'm a huge Burnley fan. Nickolai we can bond over playing in Claret & Blue haha.

I find it really hard to choose, I look forward to Jovi gigs from when they're announced pretty much whereas there's matches every week. I think both are fairly comparable though, I can't get to as many matches as I'd like so there's something to be said about the whole day surrounding each event that adds to the excitement and the buzz.

You must live right near the Lancashire border coming from Yorkshire! But i know what you mean - going to a Jovi concert week in week out may lose its appeal - but the buildup in that year to the tour and then the whole day - you cant get that at a footie game. Plus you come away from a Jovi concert happy/content. There's a danger you can come away from a footie match pissed off (or in your case with Burnley most of the time! haha!)

nickolai 10-31-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepTheFaith2211 (Post 1076242)
Newcastle United.

Yeah mate sorry we sent you down a couple of years ago. But you did murder us last season if i recall

nickolai 10-31-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcj28 (Post 1076247)
Bill Shankly said that.

Man City for me, so last weekend was quite good....:D

Stop nickin our best players goddammit!

RSROCKS 10-31-2011 03:58 PM

The Philadelphia Union :D

samboraisgodUK 10-31-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickolai (Post 1076264)
You must live right near the Lancashire border coming from Yorkshire! But i know what you mean - going to a Jovi concert week in week out may lose its appeal - but the buildup in that year to the tour and then the whole day - you cant get that at a footie game. Plus you come away from a Jovi concert happy/content. There's a danger you can come away from a footie match pissed off (or in your case with Burnley most of the time! haha!)

My step-dad's from Burnley so that's why I support them :)

and not half, we've had a highly disappointing few seasons since Owen Coyle left really. Eddie Howe's been extremely hit and miss. That being said, we absolutely destroyed Blackpool the other day and that's two wins on the bounce now so hopefully we can get some sort of run together, not holding my breath though, inconsistency seems to be the name of the game at Turf Moor.

nickolai 10-31-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1076268)
My step-dad's from Burnley so that's why I support them :)

and not half, we've had a highly disappointing few seasons since Owen Coyle left really. Eddie Howe's been extremely hit and miss. That being said, we absolutely destroyed Blackpool the other day and that's two wins on the bounce now so hopefully we can get some sort of run together, not holding my breath though, inconsistency seems to be the name of the game at Turf Moor.

Yeah i was very disappointed in Coyle going. You lot were a breath of fresh air to the Premier League but him leaving sent you down. Shame. Worst still he did brilliantly with Bolton....till now!

samboraisgodUK 10-31-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickolai (Post 1076272)
Yeah i was very disappointed in Coyle going. You lot were a breath of fresh air to the Premier League but him leaving sent you down. Shame. Worst still he did brilliantly with Bolton....till now!

Yep it really did. It was the systematic rape of a football club, he ripped the heart out of Burnley. The whole way he left was awful as well, clearly about money. And at the minute the Premier League table is hilarious for me, Bolton and Blackburn in the relegation zone - that's just perfect.

Bounce7800 10-31-2011 10:26 PM

Spurs fan since I was a little kid. My old man used to live down Edmonton way so pick up being a Spurs supporter and the curse was passed down to us :p

This season is incredibly exciting for us with a very good squad making a good effort to get 4th again. Our debut in the Champions League last year was incredible, and like everything else Spurs, a rollercoaster. We are normally great, terrible, entertaining and laughable in equal measures, so its a nice change this season to be fairly consistent and not the lolspurs of old- bar the first 2 games!

COYS

nickolai 10-31-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1076285)
Spurs fan since I was a little kid. My old man used to live down Edmonton way so pick up being a Spurs supporter and the curse was passed down to us :p

This season is incredibly exciting for us with a very good squad making a good effort to get 4th again. Our debut in the Champions League last year was incredible, and like everything else Spurs, a rollercoaster. We are normally great, terrible, entertaining and laughable in equal measures, so its a nice change this season to be fairly consistent and not the lolspurs of old- bar the first 2 games!

COYS

Bale's 2nd goal last night was pure class

dcj28 10-31-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickolai (Post 1076266)
Stop nickin our best players goddammit!

I think youll be safe now, dont see City needing Darren Bent and err..............
sorry cant think of any more.:)

KeepTheFaith2211 11-01-2011 12:04 AM

Demba Ba. Dear God... :D

samboraisgodUK 11-01-2011 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepTheFaith2211 (Post 1076289)
Demba Ba. Dear God... :D

Can't believe you lot this season, bet you're pinching yourself.

linnea.cfc32_jovibandana 11-01-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bon Jovi (Post 1076239)
Rangers.

Seeing them hammer Celtic is one of life's great pleasures.

CELTIC.

Seeing them hammer Rangers is one of life's great pleasures. etc.

Have to admit tho it breaks my heart, that lately, the team has been shit.
Still, Celtic til I die and beyond!

Jim Bon Jovi 11-01-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linnea.cfc32_jovibandana (Post 1076303)
CELTIC.

Seeing them hammer Rangers is one of life's great pleasures. etc.

Have to admit tho it breaks my heart, that lately, the team has been shit.
Still, Celtic til I die and beyond!

This season's Celtic implosion has been highly entertaining.

Joe Ledley was in the papers yesterday saying Celtic need to win the last 26 league games on the bounce if they're going to take the league :facepalm:

Let's try winning 2 in a row first Joe :D

faith1985 11-01-2011 05:34 PM

I am not the biggest football fan but since I know somebody who played for Rangers and saw a few games I would say Rangers. That being said I really don't get how crazy some fans can be. When we drove back from a game some Celtic fans had smahed my Friend's window after a game. I'm not saying Rangers fans are better, but that was really sick.

Jim Bon Jovi 11-01-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith1985 (Post 1076315)
I am not the biggest football fan but since I know somebody who played for Rangers and saw a few games I would say Rangers. That being said I really don't get how crazy some fans can be. When we drove back from a game some Celtic fans had smahed my Friend's window after a game. I'm not saying Rangers fans are better, but that was really sick.

Which player?

Yeah the violence surrounding Old Firm games is pathetic. I won't wear blue on an Old Firm game and I won't go anywhere near the city centre on the day or night of a game.

Roxannah 11-01-2011 08:48 PM

the strangest thing happened to me. i don't know if the Universe is trying to tell me something but it's 4 times now i fly with Celtic fans the day before a game. doesn't matter where i'm flying from or to. needless to say, those are always entertaining flights :)

i support Benfica and City by association.

Jim Bon Jovi 11-01-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxannah (Post 1076323)
the strangest thing happened to me. i don't know if the Universe is trying to tell me something but it's 4 times now i fly with Celtic fans the day before a game. doesn't matter where i'm flying from or to. needless to say, those are always entertaining flights :)

i support Benfica and City by association.

Well they're presently embarassing themselves across the continent as well as in Scotland so that would explain why you keep bumping into their muppet fans on their travels.

Roxannah 11-01-2011 09:14 PM

one of the times i was flying from Barcelona to Lisbon, as Celtic was playing Sporting the day after. this Celtic fan sits next to me and tries to make conversation about football. that would be all fine and dandy if he didn't have the worst accent i've ever came across with. he was trying to tell me about Celtic's past glories and that they had won some Cup in the 60's and that the final had been in Lisbon. i couldn't for the life of me understand the name of the team they had played against. i wasn't going to ask for the 3rd time so i gave up and said "never heard of them". you should've seen the look on his face when i said that. it took me some 15 minutes to realise he was saying Inter Milan :D

Jim Bon Jovi 11-01-2011 09:16 PM

Yeah us Glaswegians weren't blessed with the most refined accent.

faith1985 11-01-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bon Jovi (Post 1076328)
Yeah us Glaswegians weren't blessed with the most refined accent.

It's a great accent and you get used to it after a while:D

Roxannah 11-01-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith1985 (Post 1076331)
It's a great accent and you get used to it after a while:D

i really really struggled. i never said so many consecutive "yeahs" having no idea what the other person was on about :)

people from Glasglow and Birmingham, please communicate with me in writing only ;)

samboraisgodUK 11-02-2011 01:57 AM

Just want to say what a fantastic example Billy Sharp set this evening. Two days after his two day old Son's death and not only does he play, but scores a superb goal.
He then lifted his shirt to show a message "that's for you, son", pretty emotional stuff.

Also, I think the ref deserves credit for having a bit of common sense and not booking him, can you imagine the outrage if he had done?

nickolai 11-02-2011 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxannah (Post 1076333)
i really really struggled. i never said so many consecutive "yeahs" having no idea what the other person was on about :)

people from Glasglow and Birmingham, please communicate with me in writing only ;)

And Liverpool!

nickolai 11-02-2011 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1076341)
Just want to say what a fantastic example Billy Sharp set this evening. Two days after his two day old Son's death and not only does he play, but scores a superb goal.
He then lifted his shirt to show a message "that's for you, son", pretty emotional stuff.

Also, I think the ref deserves credit for having a bit of common sense and not booking him, can you imagine the outrage if he had done?

Yeah that booking rule really really grates on me. One of the most pointless and stupid rules ever. But good on the ref for showing some discretion on this one.

life_of_agony 11-02-2011 12:07 PM

I support the greatest football club in the world...the mighty Port Adelaide Football Club.
We are of course talking about real football, as in Australian Rules Football, aren't we?

samboraisgodUK 11-02-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by life_of_agony (Post 1076348)
We are of course talking about real football, as in Australian Rules Football, aren't we?

No, we're talking about football.

nickolai 11-02-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by life_of_agony (Post 1076348)
I support the greatest football club in the world...the mighty Port Adelaide Football Club.

Are we hell! Isn't that a throwback of Gaelic Football? If memory serves me correctly didn't Aussie Rules start from Cricket? I heard that they used to play Gaelic Football when waiting to play cricket and to keep fit - thats why they play on a cricket pitch. Correct me if im wrong