Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Late Show With Stephen Colbert - Jan 16th & 17th (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70181)

liljovi93 01-10-2018 11:18 PM

The Late Show With Stephen Colbert - Jan 16th & 17th

Bon Jovi will be doing a performance on this show on that date.

New song maybe?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Becky 01-10-2018 11:32 PM

I hope so! It seems timely if they are releasing new music.

steel_horse75 01-10-2018 11:33 PM

My birthday!!

Thomas S 01-10-2018 11:37 PM

When they were on the show, Colbert asked both Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel what they thought their top 5 songs were. I'd be very interested to hear Jon answer the same question to honest.

Rdkopper 01-10-2018 11:48 PM

I'm showing the 16th which is Tuesday (you might want to change your topic to reflect the correct date)!!! New Song indeed... And hopefully a leak prior...

Becky 01-11-2018 12:01 AM

It’s both. Jon is an interview guest on the 16th and music guest on the 17th.

Walleris 01-11-2018 03:58 AM

Is the musical guest Bon Jovi or Jon solo?

24Roses 01-11-2018 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1232422)
Is the musical guest Bon Jovi or Jon solo?

According to a retweet on Bon Jovi Updates twitter, the musical guest is Bon Jovi.

Jack27 01-16-2018 07:22 PM

Any news on this?

TheOriginalJez 01-16-2018 07:25 PM

Reads like it's just Jon but Phil's been on a plane so I'd guess band. Although that said Phil was playing the solo shows a few years ago so who knows.

golittleperson 01-17-2018 07:03 AM

Tonight was just Jon, brief but worth watching. He was ask if he could play but of course the band wasn't there so he will be back with the band tomorrow night. IMO that was planned from the start as the show billing on social media said tomorrow musical guests Bon Jovi early today.

Colbert said that probably was the most he had ever disappointed an audience when they realized Jon was not singing tonight.

There was one beeped out word at the start, I watched when televised but also have it recorded - if someone figures out what he said before I watch again. Something about the building.

The two new songs were mentioned briefly - actually more about them was in a linked article on twitter today. (The Wall - political and When We Were Us - about the band - per the article). No release date on the new songs but I am anxious to see the lyrics.

There was the congrats for the HOF and information about tickets going on sale for the tour. A touch on his meeting one of Colbert's band members and writing music - "Don't bore us get to the chorus." The only mention of Richie was Colbert bringing up how they met, apparently his 14 year old daughter was there and had a bit of a crush. He said to this day she still says that Richie was her first prom date. Apparently the party was thrown by Clive Davis and Jon very tactfully changed the subject to Clive.

Jon looked very good, but very typical Jon interview - mention the restaurants in Jersey, the hair, at Colbert's inquiry how to work your audience he told a brief story from the trip to Russia.

I'm not in order of discussion but you get the point - I'm sure most will soon see the telecast.

Thomas S 01-17-2018 07:15 AM

The video's been sped up, so everyone sounds like chipmunks. Pretty hilarious actually (it's also been cropped terribly).

Quote:

There was one beeped out word at the start, I watched when televised but also have it recorded - if someone figures out what he said before I watch again. Something about the building.
Pretty sure he said the building used to be a shithole.

Also, When We Were Us is gonna be 'the first single'. I'd guess that they'll be playing that one tomorrow. Speaking of which, the part where Colbert asked Jon to play was seriously awkward...

WILDJOVIMAN 01-17-2018 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas S (Post 1232905)
Stephen Colbert Monologue 1/16/18: The Interview with Jon Bon Jovi At the Late Show - YouTube

The video's been sped up, so everyone sounds like chipmunks. Pretty hilarious actually (it's also been cropped terribly).

Pretty sure he said the building used to be a shithole.

Also, When We Were Us is gonna be 'the first single'. I'd guess that they'll be playing that one tomorrow. Speaking of which, the part where Colbert asked Jon to play was seriously awkward...

is there something wrong with the uploadspeed ? Jons Voice Sounds like Mickey Mouse or someone from the Chipmonks. Or does he take Steroids for his Voice to be ready for the Tour ?

BJFan99 01-17-2018 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDJOVIMAN (Post 1232906)
is there something wrong with the uploadspeed ? Jons Voice Sounds like Mickey Mouse or someone from the Chipmonks. Or does he take Steroids for his Voice to be ready for the Tour ?

Yes, there is - it must be running at least 30% too fast. It looks and sounds cringeworthy. Wonder if it's due to copyright reasons...?

kenobi_on_a_prayer 01-17-2018 09:13 AM

Didn't Thomas literally say it's been sped up when he posted the link? :p And yeah, it's probably to try to escape detection for copyright.

rolo_tomachi 01-17-2018 09:46 AM

This sounded a little prepared, I think this Friday could be launched the new song through itunes.

Rdkopper 01-17-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1232918)
This sounded a little prepared, I think this Friday could be launched the new song through itunes.

That's was totally prepared. I have footage of them backstage preparing the 'shit' line...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

bonjovi90 01-17-2018 12:17 PM

Thinny 01-17-2018 12:32 PM

The whole ending was so awkward! Why would you ask him to perform when he'd already agreed to do that tomorrow!?

The picture with Alec is very prominent on the single cover!

CLEYoungGun21 01-17-2018 12:51 PM

Good lord who cares if the last bit was prepared... maybe the fans didn’t know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walleris 01-18-2018 09:50 AM

Bad Name performance is up on the official channel.

Not sure if it has been doctored in any way, but it actually sounds OK by modern standards, and that's coming from me. Chorus is still quite weak, but I was surprised to hear Jon attempt to go high on the "and you PLAY your game" part at 3:10.

Thomas S 01-18-2018 10:27 AM

Yeah the verses actually sound rock solid, but the pre-chorus still leaves a lot to be desired.

Dave88 01-18-2018 10:42 AM

It' been 32 years since Slippery, does he really need to still play Bad Name on a late night show? Meh

Thinny 01-18-2018 10:47 AM

It's a safe choice. It's not that challenging vocally....having said that he sounded decent, but singing one song on a talk show is very different to a whole show...

liljovi93 01-18-2018 11:16 AM

Just listened to full version.

I thought Jon sounded brilliant! Massive improvement!!! Band sound so tight too.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

bonjovi90 01-18-2018 11:17 AM

Halfway decent for nowadays standards, though there were quite some bum notes. But at least he wasn't whispering his way through it anymore.

nikos greece 01-18-2018 12:25 PM

on the contrary i think its harder to sing one song on television with little time to warm up than a whole concert where u really warm up after 20-30 mins if u are as experienced as jon.

if the clip isnt doctored pitch corrected, was it live? then gj to jon he keeeps improving..

ps,phil x posted a clip where jon was a bit out of tune and later commented it was a rehearshal:cool:

Rdkopper 01-18-2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1233119)
It's a safe choice. It's not that challenging vocally....having said that he sounded decent, but singing one song on a talk show is very different to a whole show...

I agree with this and the other three comments to follow, less the brilliant part...

I like how he sounds on the verses... he's actually singing the words instead of his usual mashing three words into one...

I do agree that if he continues to perform like that, they will sound great in an arena setting...

I also thought the band sounded as tight as they ever have... I'm talking about the new band...

Burlhouse 01-18-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos greece (Post 1233136)
on the contrary i think its harder to sing one song on television with little time to warm up than a whole concert where u really warm up after 20-30 mins if u are as experienced as jon.

if the clip isnt doctored pitch corrected, was it live? then gj to jon he keeeps improving..

ps,phil x posted a clip where jon was a bit out of tune and later commented it was a rehearshal:cool:

Well, Everett posted on Instagram a photo with vocal coach Mary Jo, before Bon Jovi appeared on Colbert, so I doubt whether there was little warm up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinny 01-18-2018 12:31 PM

Quote:

Not with a failing voice. Sustaining the power to your vocals for 2+ hours is very difficult, never mind doing it night after night. It can really take it's toll especially is your voice is not 100% anyway...

Rdkopper 01-18-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

I have a section in my collection that includes all the television soundboards and I always thought they never sounded great on TV... Something is never right with the mix...

Walleris 01-18-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1233127)
Halfway decent for nowadays standards, though there were quite some bum notes. But at least he wasn't whispering his way through it anymore.

Yeah, that was my takeaway as well. He actually sang and for a while he sounded like his 2013 self.

DryCounty 01-18-2018 03:17 PM

Interesting that Phil played lead guitar as Shanks has played it ever since he joined. Actually enjoys Shanks take on the solo more than Phils even though its marginally.

cqleonardo 01-18-2018 04:22 PM

best Bad Name since 2013, he sounded awesome

Walkerboy 01-18-2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cqleonardo (Post 1233165)
best Bad Name since 2013, he sounded awesome

Not difficult really.... Even in 2013 it was poor though.

bonjovi90 01-18-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1233143)
I have a section in my collection that includes all the television soundboards and I always thought they never sounded great on TV... Something is never right with the mix...

They used to sound great on TV when the band was still top class.
Especially their awards performances from 1989 to 1995 were nothing but excellent.

DryCounty 01-18-2018 05:22 PM

Speaking of great TV performances - the last truly fantastic one is wtihout a doubt the mini show on Letterman in 2010 promoting the Greatest Hits release.
Just watch this Keep the Faith performance, both Jon and Richie sounds great. Pretty badass performance for a TV studio!

TheOriginalJez 01-18-2018 05:32 PM

It sounds good but it's not because of Jon - if you listen closely he's missing the notes like he always does, but Everett is higher in the mix (it helps being able to see him behind Jon to see how much he's singing too, you can see him singing in quite a few parts where there are no bvs...)

Rdkopper 01-18-2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1233169)
They used to sound great on TV when the band was still top class.
Especially their awards performances from 1989 to 1995 were nothing but excellent.

True... I sometimes forget to relate this current Bon Jovi to that band that once existed in the 80s and 90s...

SadieLady 01-19-2018 06:11 AM

Yes it sounded good and the band was tight but I was so disappointed in the selection. Save Bad Name for the Hall of Fame segment. Geez play something new or something off the last release.