Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bon Jovi and Aldo Nova (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55373)

Captain_jovi 04-10-2013 09:07 AM

I love love love Hey Ronnie but Hey Jonny...I just don't get it. He wrote it about losing touch with Jon for an album Jon produced? How much older is the demo than everything else?

As to what Seb was saying, I think it depends on the project. While there are certainly songs Jon attaches his name to that he had little to do with, this album ain't one of them. So many turns of phrase and chord changes that are pure JBJ.

Rdkopper 04-10-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1121330)
I love love love Hey Ronnie but Hey Jonny...I just don't get it. He wrote it about losing touch with Jon for an album Jon produced? How much older is the demo than everything else?

As to what Seb was saying, I think it depends on the project. While there are certainly songs Jon attaches his name to that he had little to do with, this album ain't one of them. So many turns of phrase and chord changes that are pure JBJ.

I think Hey Johnny is more personal so therefore makes a better song. They met at 'The Station' when Jon was 19 so that brings us to 1981 - 82. Once Jon hit it big with Slippery and Jersey, he forgot all about his best friend Until 8 / 9 / 10 years later.

I think the song writing is pretty cool here because they wrote about realiy and turned it into fiction. The Station which is the Power Station turns into a Gas Station during Hey Ronnie. Who knows, everyone wants to believe that IBTFY or BOR is about Dorathea but it could be a love song from Jon to Richie.

Jon is very private so for him to admit that he thinks some Blond is still in his bed would mean that he cheated. Regardless if he did or didn't, I think most Bon Jovi songs are just fiction.

I also agree that it depends on the project. Were not talking just a song or 2 but hundreds over the course of 30 years. Someone would have come forward and called Jon out for being a fraud by now. I'm sure he's pissed off enough people.

Captain_jovi 04-10-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1121369)
I think Hey Johnny is more personal so therefore makes a better song. They met at 'The Station' when Jon was 19 so that brings us to 1981 - 82. Once Jon hit it big with Slippery and Jersey, he forgot all about his best friend Until 8 / 9 / 10 years later.

I think the song writing is pretty cool here because they wrote about realiy and turned it into fiction. The Station which is the Power Station turns into a Gas Station during Hey Ronnie. Who knows, everyone wants to believe that IBTFY or BOR is about Dorathea but it could be a love song from Jon to Richie.

Jon is very private so for him to admit that he thinks some Blond is still in his bed would mean that he cheated. Regardless if he did or didn't, I think most Bon Jovi songs are just fiction.

I also agree that it depends on the project. Were not talking just a song or 2 but hundreds over the course of 30 years. Someone would have come forward and called Jon out for being a fraud by now. I'm sure he's pissed off enough people.

My problems with Hey Jonny lie completely with how much I've listened to Hey Ronnie over the years maybe. I'm just not getting the subject matter. I understand it but I prefer the simplistic love song.

I really don't think IBTFY or BOR is a song from Jon to Richie.

Supersonic 04-10-2013 05:28 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1121330)
While there are certainly songs Jon attaches his name to that he had little to do with, this album ain't one of them. So many turns of phrase and chord changes that are pure JBJ.

That maybe so, but considering how Aldo Nova clearly wrote the riff to Blaze Of Glory it's kind of similar to Axl Rose saying he wrote Sweet Child O' Mine all by himself.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Captain_jovi 04-10-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1121397)
Aloha !

That maybe so, but considering how Aldo Nova clearly wrote the riff to Blaze Of Glory it's kind of similar to Axl Rose saying he wrote Sweet Child O' Mine all by himself.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Aldo wrote the riff, yah, but it wasn't the exact riff. You can't honestly stay Aldo wrote Blaze of Glory and Jon attached his name to it. I don't know enough about credits to know who should get what. BUT on the same topic http://youtu.be/7VD3pBTK0oA?t=47s Richie had a hand in writing the song too in that case.

semigoodlookin 04-10-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1121404)
Aldo wrote the riff, yah, but it wasn't the exact riff. You can't honestly stay Aldo wrote Blaze of Glory and Jon attached his name to it. I don't know enough about credits to know who should get what. BUT on the same topic http://youtu.be/7VD3pBTK0oA?t=47s Richie had a hand in writing the song too in that case.

I was just thinking the same. If the chord progression, the lyrics, essentially what the song was and would be was already down, would writing a guitar lick get a credit. I am not sure, as like you I am no expert on how credits work. If it was my song, and my hard work, I would not think writing a small part (albeit one that has become instantly recognisable) would deserve a credit.

Of course, we are viewing this after knowing it as a massively popular riff and from the point of view that Jon has been liberal with the truth over credits before.

Captain_jovi 04-10-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1121410)
Of course, we are viewing this after knowing it as a massively popular riff and from the point of view that Jon has been liberal with the truth over credits before.

Good point. If Aldo wrote the riff, note for note, it may be a different story but the idea he played isn't the final riff.

Rumen 04-11-2013 05:21 PM

Aldo Nova Interview where he talks of how he got to arrange and do the Blaze of Glory demo.

Tom_K 04-14-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumen (Post 1121641)
Aldo Nova Interview where he talks of how he got to arrange and do the Blaze of Glory demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCzQwIFxxxE

He mentions he was in a band with Phil X. Interesting.

Captain_jovi 04-14-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom_K (Post 1122291)
He mentions he was in a band with Phil X. Interesting.

Yessir. Phil was in Aldo's touring band for Blood on the Bricks.