Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Radio Today Entertainment - Rock Stars : Bon Jovi Vinyl (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70404)

Thinny 09-07-2018 03:20 PM

Radio Today Entertainment - Rock Stars : Bon Jovi Vinyl

I was going through all my old Vinyl and came across this that I had completly forgotten about. It's a radio transcription vinyl of some sort from 1987, featuring an interview with Jon and various tracks from Slippery, and some Tokyo 85 live stuff. It also features all the cheesy commercials between songs/interviews.

Not really sure how rare this is, has anyone else ever come across it? Interestingly it wasn't even on Discogs at all, so I had to add it myself!

https://www.discogs.com/Bon-Jovi-Roc...lease/12490180

Radio Today Entertainment seems to be the company that made it. The series is called Rock Stars and it's show 001 and airdate was March 30 - April 5 1987.

Not played it through for years, but will do so over the next few days....

Thinny 09-19-2018 09:23 PM

I guess no one has ever come across this huh? Interesting...

I just gave it a spin, some interesting stuff from Jon and a few snippetts from Richie.

There was a cool story that in 1986 he met an older guy that came up to him and said "Jon, my name is Tommy and believe it or not my wife is called Gina. We had some tough times when we were younger and Livin' On A Prayer has become our song". Jon was blown away as he's just "picked those name out of a hat".

Interestingly he says that the couple were from Biloxi, Mississippi...so in the 1986 Cincinnati live version when he says, "From Cincinnati, Ohio to Biloxi, Mississippi and all around the world, we're all just livin' on a prayer, 'ey Tommy..." it's clear that he was referring to this "Tommy".

I thought that was really cool.....

Also "Joey" from Wild In The Streets, is actually Anthony, Jon's older brother who he based the song on...

Jon :
"I couldn't ever go out and be a one man band like Prince, because it wouldn't be Bon Jovi anymore...
"What makes the band sound like us is the mesh of my influences with Richie's"

Sigh, how times change... :(

JackieBlue 09-19-2018 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1244661)

There was a cool story that in 1986 he met an older guy that came up to him and said "Jon, my name is Tommy and believe it or not my wife is called Gina. We had some tough times when we were younger and Livin' On A Prayer has become our song". Jon was blown away as he's just "picked those name out of a hat".

Interestingly he says that the couple were from Biloxi, Mississippi...so in the 1986 Cincinnati live version when he says, "From Cincinnati, Ohio to Biloxi, Mississippi and all around the world, we're all just livin' on a prayer, 'ey Tommy..." it's clear that he was referring to this "Tommy".

I thought that was really cool.....

Also "Joey" from Wild In The Streets, is actually Anthony, Jon's older brother who he based the song on...

Jon :
"I couldn't ever go out and be a one man band like Prince, because it wouldn't be Bon Jovi anymore...
"What makes the band sound like us is the mesh of my influences with Richie's"

Sigh, how times change... :(

The story about Tommy and Gina was great. It made me smile.

The quotes from Jon just made me sad.

(And, btw, I'm pretty sure that Jon is the oldest of the Bongiovi brothers.)

Thinny 09-20-2018 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1244664)
(And, btw, I'm pretty sure that Jon is the oldest of the Bongiovi brothers.)

Ahh I have no doubt that you're right, I must have misheard him..."the oldest of my brothers" maybe!?

JackieBlue 09-20-2018 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1244666)
Ahh I have no doubt that you're right, I must have misheard him..."the oldest of my brothers" maybe!?

That sounds right. Not a big deal... :)

Thanks for sharing those stories and comments, anyway. I'm surprised we hadn't heard that particular Tommy and Gina story, as many times as he and Richie have been asked about the characters. Such a cool coincidence.

Thinny 09-20-2018 10:42 AM

No problem, it was a really interesting interview. I will try and convert it at some point and stick it on YouTube or somewhere...

Eveline 09-20-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1244676)
No problem, it was a really interesting interview. I will try and convert it at some point and stick it on YouTube or somewhere...

awesome! that's a bonus of being on a board like this :D

JackieBlue 09-20-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1244676)

Sounds great! I'm sure a lot of folks here would love to hear it. I know I would. :)

bonjovi90 09-22-2018 01:53 AM

Here you go:

golittleperson 09-22-2018 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1244715)

Thank you -

Sounded like a "spaghetti sauce" now his Dad is in the sauce business..........the more things change the more they stay the same.