Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tico Drum Magazine Interview (Including Everett's job description) (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70408)

rocknation 09-12-2018 11:16 PM

Tico Drum Magazine Interview (Including Everett's job description)

Quote:

When Jon Bon Jovi told the band’s origin story during his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction speech this year, he said, “Tico took a shot, and I’ve been his singer ever since.” (He told)...Modern Drummer (magazine), “...Tico does more than provide a backbeat on stage. He gives the band its swing. He’s translating what my movements are trying to convey to our audience. I marvel at his talents.”

...(Richie) Sambora, for his part...introduced the sticksman to the Hall of Fame audience by calling him “the best drummer in the world.”

...Hugh McDonald adds his own...praise...“I can think of three words that cover it all,” he says. “First word: effortless...Second word: grease...Third word: swing...We’ve had simpatico musically and personally since we first played together in 1985.”

...(Everett) Bradley...says...“I’ve played with a lot of great drummers behind various artists, but no one swings as hard as Tico. I’m not talking in an obvious way, but in a way where you really feel his Cuban roots. You feel the spice, the grease, and his sense of family, which is truly unique, especially in a rock band...

"The shaker, tambourine, and conga parts on the Bon Jovi records are all his. It’s been wonderful learning them first hand from the master...I generally have Tico’s hi-hat and kick drum turned up in my in-ear monitors...(they) give me all I need to lock in my percussion and vocal parts, and at the same time give me the freedom for nuance and improvisation—and the security to shake my ass!”
Since it's normally kind of hard to hear either Everett's singing OR playing, it's nice to know that he's not there to be just another pretty face. Here's the rest of the interview, and a video interview he gave Modern Drummer a few years back.

JerseyGiant 09-13-2018 12:05 AM

While theres no denying that I obviously miss a certain guitarist, this band would suck without this beast behind the kit! I missed this guy so much from the vids when he had to sit out shows for his surgery! Long live the hitman!

DavetheGodofKeys 09-13-2018 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyGiant (Post 1244483)
While theres no denying that I obviously miss a certain guitarist,

Bobby, right? :mrgreen:

rocknation 09-16-2018 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyGiant (Post 1244483)
...I missed this guy so much from the vids when he had to sit out shows for his surgery...

And with just a slight change of the circumstances, we'd be in the midst of missing that guy permanently. Tico got an extra special birthday present that year...his birthday!