Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

Adam D 11-02-2019 12:25 AM

You take this EXACT same song, music, lyrics and all and put Springsteen's name as the writer, it would be hailed as a masterpiece and nominated for awards.

I have no doubt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rdkopper 11-02-2019 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam D (Post 1259693)
You take this EXACT same song, music, lyrics and all and put Springsteen's name as the writer, it would be hailed as a masterpiece and nominated for awards.

I have no doubt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Of course...

The people who don't get what they want can't get past or accept anything else... I'm cool accepting people not liking it... If it's not your thing, it's not your thing.. but when people are speeding up vocals to get what they want or just say things that have no meaning like "the song is forced", it's laughable.

Jon wrote this for a documentary on PTSD and stuck it on the album like he did with "Not Running Anymore"... I feel like people are thinking that this is the album.

I'm living in the now. If Jon stopped dying his hair, he's not going to use studio tricks to make him sound like he's 18 again... This song is exactly what I expected and hoped I'd get as 1 of 10 tracks from Jon...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

JackieBlue 11-02-2019 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1259674)
I guess video footage shows otherwise but who's to say how many songs per album are like that.

When it was first released, I said the sole purpose of "Day One, Song One" was to provide video evidence people would be able to point to later, and say, "I'm sure it was a band album. I remember seeing videos of everybody in the studio together." I was half-kidding then; but I'm not entirely sure, now, that I wasn't also more than half-right.

I'm not basing that only on this one song; because as said, they could all be different. But that, combined with the fact that I've heard nothing from Phil-X to convince me he's had much input/impact on the album, makes me wonder how much band influence there'll be. I remember him saying he played on all the songs "in the first batch"; but how many of those songs made the cut, and how much of what he played made the final mix, is anybody's guess. It bugs me, too, that some of his responses make it seem like he's out of the loop about what's going on with the album, especially when Jon (or someone like Obie) says something different.

Since X is supposedly now a band member, IF that's true for him, I don't see why it wouldn't be true of the others, too. Except for Snooky, of course. ;)

Alphavictim 11-02-2019 12:47 AM

To say that the song has no auto tune is laughable, by the way. You can hear it at times, even with the YT compression. Not sure if the slurry vocals are the result of less takes, heavy autotunage or whatever, but that is super weird too.

Rdkopper 11-02-2019 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1259695)
When it was first released, I said the sole purpose of "Day One, Song One" was to provide video evidence people would be able to point to later, and say, "I'm sure it was a band album. I remember seeing videos of everybody in the studio together." I was half-kidding then; but I'm not entirely sure, now, that I wasn't also more than half-right.

I'm not basing that only on this one song; because as said, they could all be different. But that, combined with the fact that I've heard nothing from Phil-X to convince me he's had much input/impact on the album, makes me wonder how much band influence there'll be. I remember him saying he played on all the songs "in the first batch"; but how many of those songs made the cut, and how much of what he played made the final mix, is anybody's guess. It bugs me, too, that some of his responses make it seem like he's out of the loop about what's going on with the album, especially when Jon (or someone like Obie) says something different.

Since X is supposedly now a band member, IF that's true for him, I don't see why it wouldn't be true of the others, too. Except for Snooky, of course. ;)

Dude! It's one ****ing song that's soundtrack based...

Do me a favor... Copy this post, save it in a Word Document, wait until the Spring, and then let's see if it's worth a repost.

I'm sure the band played on all tracks...

If your gripe is with Phil not playing on every song, keep in mind that he is not needed for every song. He is their hired gun to replace Richie Sambora on tour... Jon's using him on some parts of certain songs where he could add value and maybe on some solos he'll do when they go on tour. Shanks is Jon's studio guitar player...

I think we can all agree with that based on information directly from Phil's mouth.

efpg0708 11-02-2019 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1259680)
Your opinion is your opinion, I can't argue that.

I don't think this is true "Even studio tricks canÂ’t make Jon sound good anymore"... Walls and When We Were Us were only recorded around a year apart from Unbroken so "Tricks" can still work. Jon went in this direction on purpose.

Most people just can't live in the now. They all want something different and then make comparisons and references to everything done in the past. It's so predictable.

It's one ****ing song. You don't even know where this songs stands on the album. Right now it's just a song Jon gave to a soundtrack. Like Not Running Anymore. I'm sure there will be an official song released to represent the album when it gets closer to its release.

I'll set the record right now... Jon is not going to give us some full on 80s/90s style rock song where his vocals are tweaked to make him sound 20 years younger. Like de-aging CGI... Not happening!!!

Apart for this board, the song is getting a great reception on Facebook and YouTube...

Yep, they were recorded a year apart. But I wouldn’t qualify his vocals on Walls as anything near good. I started listening to BJ because of my brother who used to be a die hard but drift away from the band mainly because he can’t stand anything Jovi released post 1996. Every now and then I show him a new song, and he always says: “his voice is so doctored, he sounds like a robot”. And that’s my feeling with anything post The Circle. They use so many layers of production in order to try to hide his flaws that the end result is very artificial and machine-like. I really think this is one of the worst songs they’ve ever released vocal-wise.

I’m not comparing it with anything from the past. I’m comparing a good song to a bad song. I don’t expect another These Days or Keep the Faith, I expect a good song. When I first heard We Don’t Run,I was glad that they had finally released a good song that fit their current style even though I don’t like the production. So no, I’m not living in the past. Almost every band out there change their style and sound over time, but at the end of the day, a crap song is still a crap song, and that’s what I think this song is: a very bad song.

I didn’t say anything about the new album. Besides adding more verses and a pretty boring long bridge, for me it’s still post 2010 Jovi by the numbers: poor writing, poor vocals, poor production and meh melody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YOVANAfromPeru 11-02-2019 01:14 AM

I think the fact that the song is for a good cause (I like dogs -_-), that doesn’t make it a good song.
The lyric is pretty, but… I don’t know; I don’t feel it.

symbeline 11-02-2019 01:40 AM

I'll judge the song in the context it was written, which is a documentary featuring heavy themes. The song itself is adequate for the medium, the lyrics are well balanced, could be more subtle but I don't think they need to be (at least there's an effort unless the atrocious Walls), they probably describe what the documentary narrates anyway. The bridge is awkwardly sung and the lyrics are all over the place there but I can see it playing in the fade-to-black-roll-credits section and the transition would work. The whole song sounds appropriately sober for the subject matter and the delivery seems a conscious choice for this. No snark here, if it was a full blown BJ song written for the album I would feel different, but I take it for what it is, I don't like it, I won't choose to listen to it but it doesn't bother me and it serves it purpose.

With that being said, WTF is going on with the weird intro and outro? I'm assuming it's Phil but it sounds as if it was lifted from another song and dumped unceremoniously here. The transition felt so jarring! I'm not complaining about the guitar sound at all, I wish the whole song had this heavier guitar which sounds like it came from a real instrument, and not the horrible echo-y Shanks patent plastic guitar sound, but I didn't like how mismatched it sounded.

I was also scratching my head at the band not appearing at all. They could have included a brief clip of the band playing, they didn't even have to film anything for this video, it is a bit baffling to include the band in what is clearly a solo song for a personal project, (something that Jon has never done before if memory serves me right), but maybe they didn't want to be bothered, who knows. If the documentary and/or the song make the award circuit it will end up being the band defending the song so maybe that's enough for them. I highly doubt this would happen but it's a nice thought.

What didn't bother me at all was the vocals. I'm surprised people are complaining. I thought TC had poor vocals and WAN showed a huge decline. Nothing new here folks, Jon sounds as he's been sounding for the past 10 years in the albums: heavily doctored, with some hints of brilliance here and there but barely recognizable from before. I don't hear any major difference here.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

Rdkopper 11-02-2019 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by symbeline (Post 1259702)
I'll judge the song in the context it was written, which is a documentary featuring heavy themes. The song itself is adequate for the medium, the lyrics are well balanced, could be more subtle but I don't think they need to be (at least there's an effort unless the atrocious Walls), they probably describe what the documentary narrates anyway. The bridge is awkwardly sung and the lyrics are all over the place there but I can see it playing in the fade-to-black-roll-credits section and the transition would work.

I'm going to stop reading at this point "the lyrics are all over the place"... what does this even mean?

angelsambo 11-02-2019 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by symbeline (Post 1259702)
I'm not complaining about the guitar sound at all, I wish the whole song had this heavier guitar which sounds like it came from a real instrument, and not the horrible echo-y Shanks patent plastic guitar sound...

and your not the only one,
that guitar sound during the whole song and a little guitar solo at the end of the song would be perfect