Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

efpg0708 11-02-2019 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1259703)
I'm going to stop reading at this point "the lyrics are all over the place"... what does this even mean?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

It means it’s uninspiring, messy and it doesn’t go anywhere.

We all have different opinions man. You’re really overacting because some people don’t like a song which you think is brilliant. Just enjoy the song ! I enjoy Joey a lot and I don’t give a f*** that most people hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjcrazycpa 11-02-2019 03:10 AM

After reading all the comments I expected to not like the song at all. I actually like it both lyrically and musically. Watching the video made me very teary most likely because I have many close friends and relatives that have served or are serving so I’m a bit more instantly connected. I feel like the talkie vocal is meant to be that way given the dark serious subject matter. It wouldn’t be a song I’d go to for some lite listening but it’s meant to convey a message of the span of a soldier’s life a confessional of sorts.

JackieBlue 11-02-2019 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1259689)
... and I'm not sure what forced lyrics are? Give me an example of what part of the song has "Forced Lyrics"...

The bridge:

"My service dog's done more for me
Than the medication would"

That made me cringe the first time I heard it. It's as subtle as a ton of bricks; and only seems to be there to create the connection, to "force" the song to fit the primary theme of the documentary. From what I've seen, so far, the focus of "To Be of Service" isn't the people in the military. They're co-stars. The main focus is on the 'service' dogs that are used in PTSD therapy, which is why the proceeds are going to the Patriotic Service Dog Foundation.

Those lines don't really go with the rest of the song, which is about the soldier's experience and his feelings about having served in the war, not the treatment he received after he got home.

efpg0708 11-02-2019 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1259705)
and your not the only one,

that guitar sound during the whole song and a little guitar solo at the end of the song would be perfect

That’s one thing that I just can’t understand: they have a good guitarist. I don’t think that Phil’s sound suits Bon Jovi, but there’s no doubt that he can play. Why can’t Jon let him shine a little bit more ? I feel as if Jon wants more than ever to cement the already spread out notion that Jon Bon Jovi is Bon Jovi.

Rdkopper 11-02-2019 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efpg0708 (Post 1259706)
It means it’s uninspiring, messy and it doesn’t go anywhere.

We all have different opinions man. You’re really overacting because some people don’t like a song which you think is brilliant. Just enjoy the song ! I enjoy Joey a lot and I don’t give a f*** that most people hate it.

Don't tell me how I'm reacting... I can accept the fact that people don't like it... When people make general comments like "the songs doesn't go anywhere" or the "song is messy", I honestly don't know what that means... Jon is telling a story that has a beginning, middle and and end. I think it's very well written with strong lyrics. So clear this up for me?

efpg0708 11-02-2019 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1259710)
Don't tell me how I'm reacting... I can accept the fact that people don't like it... When people make general comments like "the songs doesn't go anywhere" or the "song is messy", I honestly don't know what that means... Jon is telling a story that has a beginning, middle and and end. I think it's very well written with strong lyrics. So clear this up for me?

You’re smart and bright enough to understand that. C’mon !

Rdkopper 11-02-2019 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1259708)
The bridge:

"My service dog's done more for me

Than the medication would"

That made me cringe the first time I heard it. It's as subtle as a ton of bricks; and only seems to be there to create the connection, to "force" the song to fit the primary theme of the documentary. From what I've seen, so far, the focus of "To Be of Service" isn't the people in the military. They're co-stars. The main focus is on the 'service' dogs that are used in PTSD therapy, which is why the proceeds are going to the Patriotic Service Dog Foundation.

Those lines don't really go with the rest of the song, which is about the soldier's experience and his feelings about having served in the war, not the treatment he received after he got home.

But that's Bon Jovi... Take the Bridge on Bed Of Roses for example. One of their best songs... "The Bartenders Wig is Crooked"

efpg0708 11-02-2019 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1259712)
But that's Bon Jovi... Take the Bridge on Bed Of Roses for example. One of their best songs... "The Bartenders Wig is Crooked"

Yep, this line is very bad. But in this case you’ve got a good song to back it up.

JackieBlue 11-02-2019 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1259697)
Dude! It's one ****ing song that's soundtrack based...

Do me a favor... Copy this post, save it in a Word Document, wait until the Spring, and then let's see if it's worth a repost.

I'm sure the band played on all tracks...

Dude! Do you even read my posts? Or do you just see my name and automatically start arguing?

I'm pretty sure I specifically said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1259695)
... I'm not basing that only on this one [****ing] song; because as said, they could all be different. But that, combined with the fact that I've heard nothing from Phil-X to convince me he's had much input/impact on the album, makes me wonder how much band influence there'll be....

I'm not griping about anything. I couldn't care less how much Phil-X plays or doesn't play on the album. As with any other album, I'll either like the songs or I won't, regardless of who plays what, or how much. But if it really is just the Jon and John show, I do wish they'd stop trying to convince everybody it's a band album just because they know that's what most of the fans would like to see.

I also said I have no doubt the band "played" on this song (or that they'll play on all the songs, for that matter). My question is how much they were allowed to influence the sound. (Not surprising, since I still question how much influence they had on THINFS, despite all the hype about what a band album that one was supposed to be.)

JackieBlue 11-02-2019 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1259712)

But just because a line is bad or cliched doesn't mean it's forced, which is what you asked. The line about "my service dog" seems to be shoved into the middle of the song for the sole purpose of making it suitable for a documentary about "service dogs". It seems out of place with the rest of the lyrics.

Like Jon might have said, "let's see... now what can I write that would clearly connect this song to a documentary about service dogs... ?"