Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

Captain_jovi 05-02-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1263920)
Whatever Captain_Jovi meant, there is one thing that cannot be denied, songs now lack guitar solos. WAN was a poor guitar album, and still had more solos, and better than THINFS or the last two last songs of the new album 2020.

Jon (or J Shanks) cut the guitar solo on What Do You Got, and I don't understand why he did that, since it felt abrupt and unnatural.

If you listen to the demo of What Do You Got or how Richie always played the song live, you will notice that it was longer, repeating itself once more and having more feeling.

I thking Jon is simply allergic to guitar solos, I've observed him on shows, most of the time he wants that moment to pass quickly.

I no longer just miss Richie in this band, I miss a decent guitar job that raises the song a bit.

Fingerprints and WWYDF were the only surprises and were in a disposable album.

I go so back and forth on whether or not the solo should be played twice on the final version. Side note, this isn't a Shanks move. It was produced by Howard Benson. Debatable how much involvement Jon had in the final final version since Phil did overdubs on it a year or so before he covered for Richie and both camps say they haven't run into each other since the Aldo Nova days (I can see Jon lying about this but back when Phil said it he had nothing to gain. He easily could have said he ran into Jon in the studio once).

I've always disliked when solos just repeat the same part twice if it's not something that's truly special.

Walleris 05-02-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1263920)
I thking Jon is simply allergic to guitar solos, I've observed him on shows, most of the time he wants that moment to pass quickly.

"Allergic" is probably not the best word, but I think that's a decent summary.

Jon is not a hard rock / heavy metal guy. He grew up idolizing Bruce, Southside Johnny and the Rolling Stones. Early in his career he looked up to and compared himself Bryan Adams and The Cars. These are singers-songwriters who made catchy tunes, but and were rock acts, but not big on guitar solos.

During the 2016 Eddie Trunk he said "we were lumped into the genre because we looked a certain way". Guitar solos were a big part of that genre so they followed the formula. And because the songs were so great that they became synonymous with the 80s hard rock scene, even if Jon himself did not identify with parts of that scene.

When you take that into account it's not that surprising that he decided to gradually move away from (focusing so much on) guitar solos, as they attempted to reinvent and commercialize their sound, and as Richie's influence in the band seemingly decreased.

bonjovi90 05-02-2020 10:48 PM

Yeah, but Jon's not only gone away from guitar solos, but also completely gone from making rock'n'roll music and faded into a exchangable pop act sound. All of his idols have stayed more true to their roots in terms of sound.

Xavi 05-02-2020 11:39 PM

I actually enjoy more WAN than HAND,The Circle,BB and THINFS.
For me their worst album since 2000 is The Circle.

bonjovi90 05-03-2020 12:01 AM

I liked the songs on the Circle, that acoustic rendition of Superman Tonight on Valentine's Day was the best new song performance in a decade or so. But the shalalalas and the stone cold production on the album kill off every vibe there could've been. And I very much blame the two Jon's for this...

Captain_jovi 05-03-2020 12:06 AM

I went for a long walk last night and WAN really....I dont want to say impressed me but the songs were catchy. Lyrics weren't amazing but production was the problem. With a warmer, more organic sound, less ringy-arpeggio guitar parts it could have been a lot better. The title track I've skipped since it came out. I think I realized it's not a bad, uncatchy song, it's subject matter is just so trite and over-written about that it's white noise. Had it been an album cut without there being ten It's My Life's preceding it I'd probably like it quite a bit.

james_d 05-03-2020 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavi (Post 1263926)
I actually enjoy more WAN than HAND,The Circle,BB and THINFS.
For me their worst album since 2000 is The Circle.

Funnily enough the Circle is probably my favourite

Kathleen 05-03-2020 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_d (Post 1263929)
Funnily enough the Circle is probably my favourite

Mine too.......

bonjovi90 05-03-2020 01:18 AM

Mine as well, maybe currently tied with Crush :D
But, to be fair, their post-2000 competition isn't that high :mrgreen:

Javier 05-03-2020 02:22 AM

I freaking love the circle!!! It's really atmospheric, arrangement wise it's some of the best work the band did post-2000 and John Shanks best produced album. Lyrically it's pretty good too (working man aside). I get that some of the political themes turn some people off but they're hidden really well on most songs (again working man aside). Even on Happy Now, Jon may have been writing about Obama, but for me the song is a very special and personal one. Also songwriting and guitar wise, it's the last album that had a heavy Richie presence, I see it almost like a married couple giving it one last chance, making their best effort before breaking up. Yeah it may not have worked entirely but it made something special. The only song I skip here is Live before you die, the rest awesome to me!