Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

Alphavictim 07-14-2020 03:40 PM

Here's the thing: People complained for years that JBJ used (the wrong?) outside writers to carter to the market, sang contrived lyrics he didn't believe in, did songs just to have a product out and tour.

None of this applies to these new songs. You may not like them sonically, but this is basically where his mind is at now. It would be 100% fair to move on now, without anger or whatever, because it's not gonna get more apparent than this that this is who he is now as an artist.

The songs were written without the chase for a hit single, on his own, about stuff he felt he needed to process. I mean... I'd prefer Richie on them. I'd prefer better choruses. I'd prefer better vocal takes. But this is essentially half of the box set, as far as the nature of the material goes.

rolo_tomachi 07-14-2020 03:41 PM

Well, Do What You Can, it is logical that it is a single, but I feel that its best time to release it is over, although who knows, the data shows that soon there will be another outbreak of the virus, so it is likely that releasing the song as a single is a good play.

I think Jon has to risk and (die trying) to move this entire album with meaningful songs that fit the times... and forget those artificial catchphrase songs and repetitive.

jovifan93 07-14-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1265523)
I've just developed a super low tolerance threshold for bullshit over the years :)

Wait until you get 43 and not 33 ;-)

jovifan93 07-14-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265524)
Agenda meaning delivering a specific message. Limitless ABSOLUTELY has the agenda of life being worth living, do the best you can,reach for the stars. Saturday Night, you have a point. It was released as a single I guess but not promoted as such if that makes sense? But you're right.

Hmm, don't know if I completely agree on Limitless, but yeah you could see it as "empowering" the same way as the previous songs in this vein...

Saturday Night is a special case, because we know it was written by Jon & Richie back in 2005 or something, so most of our complaints wouldn't really apply because they/he did use to write different/better stuff then...

jovifan93 07-14-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith1985 (Post 1265536)
:-):):)

Isn't that the truth;)

It is. Well, for some at least, I guess.

Captain_jovi 07-14-2020 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1265556)
Hmm, don't know if I completely agree on Limitless, but yeah you could see it as "empowering" the same way as the previous songs in this vein...

Saturday Night is a special case, because we know it was written by Jon & Richie back in 2005 or something, so most of our complaints wouldn't really apply because they/he did use to write different/better stuff then...

Nah, it was recorded for The Circle, 2009.

But I see what you're saying. I'm just plum-tired of empowerment songs, the well is dry. Would rather boy-girl songs to be honest.

jovifan93 07-14-2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265558)
Nah, it was recorded for The Circle, 2009.

But I see what you're saying. I'm just plum-tired of empowerment songs, the well is dry. Would rather boy-girl songs to be honest.

I know what you mean. I'm Your Man was a nice surprise, though that probably stems from 1998 or something ;-)

Captain_jovi 07-14-2020 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1265561)
I know what you mean. I'm Your Man was a nice surprise, though that probably stems from 1998 or something ;-)

I've always gotten SUCH a "right before Crush" vibe from it! Shanks having a co-write on it though kind of debunks that.

JoviForever 07-14-2020 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1265546)
no one needs another ballad,
unbroken,american reckoning and now do what you can....**** you jon

I appreciate the sentiment of all 3 songs but they are not singles and certainly not songs that are going to sell the album!

bonjovi90 07-14-2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoviForever (Post 1265566)
I appreciate the sentiment of all 3 songs but they are not singles and certainly not songs that are going to sell the album!

And it's become underwhelming to say the least. I get the idea and intention (also the one that would only cause backlash here) behind it, but it's starting to feel bland because they're musically (from what we've heard thus far) all pretty boring and I have a feeling that Lower The Flag will go in the same direction. Even half a week after its release, I still couldn't even humm American Reckoning since nothing of that song sticks in my head.