Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

BonJovi100 05-03-2019 04:22 PM

Some facts from BJ history and what I think we can expect from new BJ album:
- Jon always tried to make Bon Jovi music fresh and modern. They change music influences very often. BJ -> SWW -> KTF -> Crush -> HAND -> LH ecc
- 2 biggest "rock" bands now are Imagine Dragons and Twenty One Pilots
- Typical rock/hard rock is dead in any charts now (albums/singles). Only Greta van fleet had big succes as a "old rock" band. But I personaly think that they time is almost over now.
- Jon loves RNRoll music but he never been big fan of Hard/Heavy bands (Richie was). He prefer Presley than AC/DC, Beatels than Led Zeppelin or J.Cash than Van Halen.
- Jon likes Pop music with many influences from other kind of music like Country, RNB, Soul, Gospel ecc. I think he love it way more than heavy metal ecc.
- I think his music taste is showing on runaway trips and events like luxury ship trip. On BJ show he do something like "1 song for you, 1 song for me" ecc.

I don't see that Jon take old Led Zeppelin songs and record them for new album (like GVF). I can see that typical Jon do like he did in 92,95,00 ecc and tell Shanks that he want sound modern as a Imagine Dragons or TOPilots. Thins ain't kind of music which needs 6 minutes solos and heavy riffs. Longs solos and heavy riff aren't popular today. Metallica, AC/DC, Iron Maiden or other nostalgia bands can do this but Jon never been this kind of frontman. Jon always wanted to be on top, record smash hits and sound fresh. This is Jon which was angry recording NJersey because he thought they didn't wrote hits yet. This is Jon who lost many fans from 80s because he changed their sound in 90s. So I can bet that IDragons and TOPilots is direction for next BJ album. I like both this bands so I'm really exciting for the new album. But I also hope that Phil give some heavy riff to this album. We'll see.

bonjovi90 05-03-2019 04:52 PM

Pretty accurate, however, the problem for me is that they don't sound fresh at all while doing so. Simply because they once used to incorporate influences into their sound, yet it sounded like Bon Jovi in the end. Now too many songs just sound like any band trying to copy what's currently popular.

And I don't think that's the way to go. Jon has repeatedly stated that he doesn't have to prove anything anymore, so he should stop trying to chase hits. They're past the point of getting hits anyway. Young people in their teens or their early twenties won't turn to a band that tries to sound like what's currently popular, they'll stick to young and modern acts. And Bon Jovi live off their legacy right now which is totally fine at their age and stage of their career. But then do something to suit that age and sound, because trying the above-mentioned doesn't resonate with 40-60 year olds and these are the left-over core fan base.

He's got some talented musicians at his hands, so they should try and find a sound that suits their age and that they enjoy, then it could work.

The last time they've sounded fresh to me was with HAND and the last time there was an identity to their music was with Lost Highway. Since then it's been very interchangeable and more of the same for a good decade now.

THINFS was mainly done when there still wasn't proper clarity about the Richie situation, about the future and Phil X wasn't really there for that as well. That's different now, so either this will lead us to a sound that has some identity this time around or we'll be stuck with WAN part 4-8 for the remainder of their career.

Just my two cents on it.

Captain_jovi 05-03-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1252646)
As if. Nobody is saying that at all so let's not go overboard.

Saying 'would a solo be good here?' - 'How about this riff?' etc is being part of a team. Giving a suggestion. Making your part of the input worthwhile.

Nobody is saying 'stand up to Jon and tell him what you think' so let's not go over the top.

What we are saying is that Phil, as we all know, is a quality guitar player who can certainly rock out. It's the first real album (by the looks of things) were we have him playing guitar on most songs. Not 4 this time. For him to reply and say 'are we kidding?' is a little bit arsey but not only that, is kind of giving Jon a bad name (no pun intended) as it's making it sound like he is set in his own ways. (Not that we didn't know that ourselves)

It's disappointment more than anything and only gives me less excitement than I already had for this album after seeing Phil's response.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I think he's being realistic and honest. There's no winning, if he said yes everyone would jump down his throat calling him Jon's yes man.

Look, whether you're joking or not you're literally tweeting at the guy how it "Can't be that hard" to have a rockier sound and more solos. "Speak up for ****s sake" etc. I don't think I'm THAT far off saying you guys are expecting him to stand up to Jon and tell him the sound the band needs. My hunch is he tried and failed because he knows he's a hired hand that has little say in the direction.

Until anyone can prove that he hasn't done all those things ("Saying 'would a solo be good here?' - 'How about this riff?' etc is being part of a team. Giving a suggestion. Making your part of the input worthwhile.) giving him shit for it is pointless. Just my opinion.

liljovi93 05-03-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1252656)
I think he's being realistic and honest. There's no winning, if he said yes everyone would jump down his throat calling him Jon's yes man.

Look, whether you're joking or not you're literally tweeting at the guy how it "Can't be that hard" to have a rockier sound and more solos. "Speak up for ****s sake" etc. I don't think I'm THAT far off saying you guys are expecting him to stand up to Jon and tell him the sound the band needs. My hunch is he tried and failed because he knows he's a hired hand that has little say in the direction.

Until anyone can prove that he hasn't done all those things ("Saying 'would a solo be good here?' - 'How about this riff?' etc is being part of a team. Giving a suggestion. Making your part of the input worthwhile.) giving him shit for it is pointless. Just my opinion.

Mate I also told him to say I stand by his nan wig. I'm not being serious. Obviously.

YOVANAfromPeru 05-03-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1252658)
I stand by his nan wig.

That’s a SHITE comment.

liljovi93 05-03-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1252659)
That’s a SHITE comment.

Nice. You're learning.

Rdkopper 05-03-2019 06:50 PM

It's very simple for me... It's not about guitar solos, song lyrics, or any of that other fluff... Sure that's all important and helps but it's all about the vocal loss...

During the early albums, Jon had natural raw talents who could write about anything or just sing anything he wanted and it was fail proof. His range, delivery, and passion were in every note that came out of his mouth. He was bullet proof...

Now he's completely relying on other means to compensate for those lost talents and the music isn't coming across as being natural anymore. Yeah, it sounds like Jon but it's not Jon... His range is shot, everything is in a safe key, and there is no longer a passion in delivery. That's why everyone went crazy over 'Who Would You Die For'... That was the last decent attempt as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

YOVANAfromPeru 05-03-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1252660)
Nice. You're learning.

Did you learn anything from me??

angelsambo 05-03-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1252661)
It's very simple for me... It's not about guitar solos, song lyrics, or any of that other fluff... Sure that's all important and helps but it's all about the vocal loss...

i disagree,
david coverdale has lost his voice but recently he released with whitesnake a fantastic rock album and it kicks ass,
bon jovi does not produce quality rock music anymore and that's the problem,
no one cares about songs like knockout,roller coaster,because we can and all that other bullshit

YOVANAfromPeru 05-04-2019 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1252664)
no one cares about songs like knockout,roller coaster,because we can and all that other bullshit

Definitely two of the worst days in Jovi history were listening for the first time on that radio We Weren’t Born To Follow and Because We Can like a lead singles >_<

Knockout and Rollercoaster are TOO simple... I don’t listen them anymore (studio/live versions)

btw Phil X has said he’s posting one of his videos (with his band) per month and that this month song doesn’t have guitar solo but the rest of songs do have guitar solos, so I guess we’ll hear how he sounds... Lol