Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

Captain_jovi 11-01-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1259658)
All the band are credited as "Associated Performer" so I've no doubt they played on it. But there's a difference between playing on it and actually contributing to the formation and arrangement.

Not only does it sound to me like a Jon solo project, with Shanks providing instruments and vocal backup, but the credits read that way as well.

Shanks and Jon are listed first (I'm guessing because they're co-producers?) and I get that; but would there be a reason why the rest of the band is at the bottom of the list, after everybody else and his brother?

Shanks and Jon are the only ones credited as background vocalists, so apparently none of the band contributed to that.

Shanks is listed as associated performer on both electric guitar and acoustic guitar, specifically; whereas Phil-X is listed as associated performer on "Guitar", almost like an afterthought.

While David is credited for synth, piano, and Hammond B3, Shanks is also credited for synth.

It just seems very Shanks-centric to me. Like he and Jon put it all together and the rest of the band came in and overdubbed their parts.

Ah crud, did credits get posted somewhere?

rolo_tomachi 11-01-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1259661)
Ah crud, did credits get posted somewhere?

BON JOVI - UNBROKEN

Producer, Programmer, Associated Performer, Background Vocalist, Synthesizer, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar: John Shanks
Producer, Associated Performer, Vocals, Background Vocalist: Jon Bon Jovi
Studio Personnel, Recording Engineer: Obie O'Brien
Studio Personnel, Engineer: Dan Chase
Studio Personnel, Engineer: Keith Gretlein
Studio Personnel, Engineer: Kenta Yonesaka
Studio Personnel, Engineer: Bradley Giroux
Studio Personnel, Asst. Recording Engineer: Austin Atwood
Studio Personnel, Mixer: Michael H. Brauer
Studio Personnel, Assistant Mixer: Fernando Reyes
Associated Performer, Drums: Tico Torres
Associated Performer, Bass Guitar: Hugh McDonald
Associated Performer, Piano, Hammond B3, Synthesizer: David Bryan
Associated Performer, Guitar: Phil X
Studio Personnel, Mastering Engineer: Joe Laporta
Composer Lyricist: Jon Bon Jovi

KeepTheFaith2211 11-01-2019 07:38 PM

It’s fine I suppose. Just uninspiring.

robknowles1978 11-01-2019 07:47 PM

Ok, I’ve listened to it half a dozen times and it’s a grower. It’s certainly growing on me. Don’t really want a full album of it, but I don’t think it’s that bad.

It’s not like anything from Keep the faith or these days but it’s a grower.

I’m looking forward to the new album; I always am. I really don’t think this is too bad, certainly better now than the first time I heard it!!’n

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JackieBlue 11-01-2019 07:48 PM

When I originally posted, I had only listened to the song. I just finished watching the video and it only reinforces the "solo" feeling I have. I had read earlier where someone asked where the band was in the video; but I thought he referred, perhaps, to some images of Jon that were woven through it or something. I didn't realize there were actual "performance" shots and that, even in those, there's no band. It's just Jon and his guitar. And Jon didn't even play the f'n guitar on the song, according to the credits! *smh*

Chris_Newton 11-01-2019 07:52 PM

I just can't make my mind up about it.. Listened to it about 6 times now.. Half the time I think "meh" but then I keep coming back to it and signing along.. Very confusing [emoji849]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Adam D 11-01-2019 08:27 PM

This is the darkest song Jon and/or the band have released since These Days.

Definitely not the uplifting message he normally pushes ad nauseum. So, I definitely enjoy that about it.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that both of his parents were Marines, so I can understand how he can feel a personal connection to the message.

It's not catchy and kind of plodding, but that has more to do with the delivery than anything.

The lyric rings more true to me than something like Working Man. I don't think he's ever written a lyric quite like this.

Not one I see being played on the upcoming tour, but a solid album track.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Kevs 11-01-2019 08:33 PM

yeah 6 listens in and its only average but its nice to get new music. Just seen the video and it brings home a real solo effort. Did the band really play on it???

Hopefully its only a bonus song on 20/20

Most of the songs from THINFS are better for me

Its also become my first purchase from iTunes. I prefer buying CD's

Captain_jovi 11-01-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevs (Post 1259668)
yeah 6 listens in and its only average but its nice to get new music. Just seen the video and it brings home a real solo effort. Did the band really play on it???

Hopefully its only a bonus song on 20/20

Most of the songs from THINFS are better for me

Its also become my first purchase from iTunes. I prefer buying CD's

See above. Band played on it but credited like it's a solo song with the band playing. Weird stuff.

Alphavictim 11-01-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam D (Post 1259667)
Another thing I'd like to point out is that both of his parents were Marines, so I can understand how he can feel a personal connection to the message.

I thought his father was a hair dresser and his mother was a model?