Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

MrNickel 07-24-2020 06:09 PM

The two songs he removed are likely less political & current and I would much rather have heard them than the ones he added.

angelsambo 07-24-2020 08:40 PM

Do What You Can

Producer, Associated Performer, Vocals: Jon Bon Jovi
Producer, Associated Performer, Electric Guitar, Keyboards, Acoustic Guitar, Background Vocalist: John Shanks
Studio Personnel, Engineer: Keith Gretlein
Studio Personnel, Engineer: Bradley Giroux
Studio Personnel, Mixer: Bob Clearmountain
Studio Personnel, Assistant Mixer: Brandon Duncan
Associated Performer, Drums, Percussion: Tico Torres
Associated Performer, Piano, Organ, Background Vocalist: David Bryan
Associated Performer, Bass: Hugh McDonald
Associated Performer, Electric Guitar, Background Vocalist: Phil X
Studio Personnel, Mastering Engineer: Joe LaPorta
Composer Lyricist: Jon Bon Jovi

rolo_tomachi 07-25-2020 01:39 PM

Those two songs removed, could be released in Tidal as something exclusive, I think it happened also with some songs from This House Is Not For Sale.

JackieBlue 07-25-2020 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1265976)
Those two songs removed, could be released in Tidal as something exclusive, I think it happened also with some songs from This House Is Not For Sale.

I could be wrong but I think their 'exclusive' arrangement with Tidal was only for the promotion THINFS.

Rdkopper 07-25-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1265979)
I could be wrong but I think their 'exclusive' arrangement with Tidal was only for the promotion THINFS.

I was just thinking about this the other day... I wounder what type of Record Deal Terms he has today...

I'm banking on another Box Set in 2024.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 07-25-2020 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1265953)
Do What You Can

Do What You Can - YouTube

Producer, Associated Performer, Vocals: Jon Bon Jovi
Producer, Associated Performer, Electric Guitar, Keyboards, Acoustic Guitar, Background Vocalist: John Shanks
Studio Personnel, Engineer: Keith Gretlein
Studio Personnel, Engineer: Bradley Giroux
Studio Personnel, Mixer: Bob Clearmountain
Studio Personnel, Assistant Mixer: Brandon Duncan
Associated Performer, Drums, Percussion: Tico Torres
Associated Performer, Piano, Organ, Background Vocalist: David Bryan
Associated Performer, Bass: Hugh McDonald
Associated Performer, Electric Guitar, Background Vocalist: Phil X
Studio Personnel, Mastering Engineer: Joe LaPorta
Composer Lyricist: Jon Bon Jovi

Is cool see Bob clarmountain in the mix. It would be interesting to see the duration of all the songs.

YOVANAfromPeru 07-26-2020 02:55 AM

Nice location for the DO WHAT YOU CAN video
https://www.instagram.com/p/CC9TSrKjMSR/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CC_UXpgAcaF/

rolo_tomachi 07-26-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1266012)

The band is missing.

steel_horse75 07-27-2020 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1266033)
The band is missing.

They have been from from 3 of the 4 singles so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jay Jay 07-27-2020 11:58 AM

Description
Bon Jovi to release the 15th album with two Japan only bonus tracks: "Luv Can" and "Shine." Comes with lyrics and a description.
Special Feature / Bonus Track: two Japan only bonus tracks

Japanese edition will include the 2 original songs.

Rdkopper 07-27-2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1266033)
The band is missing.

Yes and there is a small irony there. Jon played a Destination Anywhere solo show at that very same location on May 30th 1997.

I was at that show and just looked at my ticket stub.

I paid 50 bucks, there were no seats and Jon wasn't the closer. It was an 80s band called Erasure! They were fantastic...After Jon was done, 80% of the crowd left and it was so comfortable.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 07-27-2020 08:22 PM

I guess the DWYC video could be released this Friday or next week.

When do you think they will release Beatiful Drug as a single? the video is already done, and on October 2 we are supposed to have the album. I would like it to happen in August, but I may be wrong and it is in September. What is your opinion?

Captain_jovi 07-27-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1266049)
I guess the DWYC video could be released this Friday or next week.

When do you think they will release Beatiful Drug as a single? the video is already done, and on October 2 we are supposed to have the album. I would like it to happen in August, but I may be wrong and it is in September. What is your opinion?

There's no real guarantee we'll get it as a single at this point :(

I really really hope we do though, the bit I heard sounded fun as hell.

bonboy25 07-27-2020 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266050)
There's no real guarantee we'll get it as a single at this point :(

I really really hope we do though, the bit I heard sounded fun as hell.

Looks like we've lost beautiful drug as a single? They've removed the music video for it in the Japanese deluxe edition

https://www.universal-music.co.jp/bo...ts/uicy-79180/

Captain_jovi 07-27-2020 10:19 PM

For sure saw this one coming. Oh well!

Jay Jay 07-27-2020 10:43 PM

I wonder if Australia will get the bonus tracks?

rolo_tomachi 07-27-2020 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonboy25 (Post 1266051)
Looks like we've lost beautiful drug as a single? They've removed the music video for it in the Japanese deluxe edition

Is the track list order different?

itunes apple music

01 Limitless
02 Do What You Can
03 American Reckoning
04 Beautiful Drug
05 Story of Love
06 Let It Rain
07 Lower The Flag
08 Blood In The Water
09 Brothers In Arms
10 Unbroken

https://music.apple.com/us/album/2020/1524597156

Amazon Store

01 Do What You Can
02 Let It Rain
03 Unbroken
04 Brothers In Arms
05 American Reckoning
06 Blood In The Water
07 Story Of Love
08 Beautiful Drug
09 Limitless
10 Lower The Flag

https://www.amazon.es/2020-Bon-Jovi/...Y354DGDYXN3SXE

Universal Japan Music

01 Beautiful Drug
02 Unbroken
03 Limitless
04 Brothers In Arms
05 Story Of Love
06 Lower The Flag
07 Let It Rain
08 Blood In The Water
09 American Reckoning
10 Do What You Can
11 Luv Can
12 Shine

YOVANAfromPeru 07-28-2020 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1266054)

itunes apple music

01 Limitless
02 Do What You Can
03 American Reckoning
04 Beautiful Drug
05 Story of Love
06 Let It Rain
07 Lower The Flag
08 Blood In The Water
09 Brothers In Arms
10 Unbroken

Amazon Store

01 Do What You Can
02 Let It Rain
03 Unbroken
04 Brothers In Arms
05 American Reckoning
06 Blood In The Water
07 Story Of Love
08 Beautiful Drug
09 Limitless
10 Lower The Flag

Universal Japan Music

01 Beautiful Drug
02 Unbroken
03 Limitless
04 Brothers In Arms
05 Story Of Love
06 Lower The Flag
07 Let It Rain
08 Blood In The Water
09 American Reckoning
10 Do What You Can
11 Luv Can
12 Shine

O_O!!! My head exploded...

steel_horse75 07-28-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonboy25 (Post 1266051)

Is there any point to Jovi releasing singles anymore? The last 4 have bombed and ended up at 1400 (who knew the charts had that many places) after 3 days.

bonboy25 07-28-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1266054)

itunes apple music

01 Limitless
02 Do What You Can
03 American Reckoning
04 Beautiful Drug
05 Story of Love
06 Let It Rain
07 Lower The Flag
08 Blood In The Water
09 Brothers In Arms
10 Unbroken

Amazon Store

01 Do What You Can
02 Let It Rain
03 Unbroken
04 Brothers In Arms
05 American Reckoning
06 Blood In The Water
07 Story Of Love
08 Beautiful Drug
09 Limitless
10 Lower The Flag

Universal Japan Music

01 Beautiful Drug
02 Unbroken
03 Limitless
04 Brothers In Arms
05 Story Of Love
06 Lower The Flag
07 Let It Rain
08 Blood In The Water
09 American Reckoning
10 Do What You Can
11 Luv Can
12 Shine

The latter says song order undecided. It does seem to be the original tracklist minus Shine and Luv Can and adding the two new ones

Thinny 07-28-2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1266056)
Is there any point to Jovi releasing singles anymore? The last 4 have bombed and ended up at 1400 (who knew the charts had that many places) after 3 days.

in 2020 Bon Jovi are not a singles band, but the release of singles to the radio and videos to YouTube does help with the promotion of the album, which is where the sales are focused for the older bands. The singles charts is really only for stuff that appeals to the younger generation nowadays.

I expect the Beautiful Drug video will still get used, just at a later date. It makes no sense to release it before the album as we've already had 4 singles before release, when there would only have originally been two if the original release date had stuck.

angelsambo 07-28-2020 10:07 PM

Guitar hero Phil X “Right On The Money” with The Drills and Bon Jovi

http://chicagoconcertreviews.com/202...ills-bon-jovi/

Can you give us a sneak preview on the Bon Jovi “2020” album that was put on hold?

X: It’s funny because I’m a guy sitting in the background going “why has this been delayed?” If there was a time that people need something new and something to embrace, it’s now. But at the same time, Jon wrote two new songs. We just recorded these new songs a couple months ago and he wanted to include them on this record. Then one thing that goes hand in hand with the release in a mega-band like Bon Jovi is touring and supporting that record, which nobody knows when that’s going to happen. That may explain the delay for two reasons.

Phil XI think Jon’s always been a visionary, but I really saw it come together with this record. This record was the first record that I was involved in from the ground up. We were in Nashville last March for 11 days and we laid down all the band tracks. Then Jon picked his favorite ten and those songs were [given] vocals, more guitar, more piano, keys and percussion. We’re all singing backgrounds. It was a really amazing process to be a witness to. The solo in “Beautiful Drug” is my 16 seconds of danger (laughs) amongst Jon’s vision. He had a lot to say lyrically and he had a lot to exude emotionally. You know how everybody says “I wish I could be a fly on the wall?” I was a fly on the wall that put down a killer solo (laughs).

Captain_jovi 07-28-2020 10:12 PM

Kind of pleases me all bed tracks were done as a band then everything else was overdubs after the fact.

rolo_tomachi 07-28-2020 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1266065)

Can you give us a sneak preview on the Bon Jovi “2020” album that was put on hold?

X: It’s funny because I’m a guy sitting in the background going “why has this been delayed?” If there was a time that people need something new and something to embrace, it’s now. But at the same time, Jon wrote two new songs. We just recorded these new songs a couple months ago and he wanted to include them on this record. Then one thing that goes hand in hand with the release in a mega-band like Bon Jovi is touring and supporting that record, which nobody knows when that’s going to happen. That may explain the delay for two reasons.

Phil XI think Jon’s always been a visionary, but I really saw it come together with this record. This record was the first record that I was involved in from the ground up. We were in Nashville last March for 11 days and we laid down all the band tracks. Then Jon picked his favorite ten and those songs were [given] vocals, more guitar, more piano, keys and percussion. We’re all singing backgrounds. It was a really amazing process to be a witness to. The solo in “Beautiful Drug” is my 16 seconds of danger (laughs) amongst Jon’s vision. He had a lot to say lyrically and he had a lot to exude emotionally. You know how everybody says “I wish I could be a fly on the wall?” I was a fly on the wall that put down a killer solo (laughs).

I can't wait to hear that guitar solo. If Jon wanted to remove it and Shanks had to convince him to be included, it is that is one killer.

Javier 07-29-2020 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1266067)
I can't wait to hear that guitar solo. If Jon wanted to remove it and Shanks had to convince him to be included, it is that is one killer.

During an older interview he did give a bit of a tease and said that it is similar to the outro solo he does on the live version of THINFS. I think people have said the songs are similar? Maybe some of the licks made their way into the studio? Either way I'm not getting my Hope's up too high, bad name would be deemed too dangerous for Jon nowadays...

Jack27 07-31-2020 08:39 AM

So Jon has said he’s doing a free acoustic concert on 14th August. Can we expect any unheard songs or at best will be get Do What You Can along with the usual bunch of songs?

rolo_tomachi 07-31-2020 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack27 (Post 1266083)
So Jon has said he’s doing a free acoustic concert on 14th August. Can we expect any unheard songs or at best will be get Do What You Can along with the usual bunch of songs?

There will be revelations.

hackster73 08-03-2020 06:06 PM

The more I listen to American Reckoning I hear American Wrestling, I can't help it now!

Savvi 08-07-2020 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266066)
Kind of pleases me all bed tracks were done as a band then everything else was overdubs after the fact.

Just goes to show we really know nothing. So many people complaining the band had little part to play in the studio and it was mostly Jon and John. I am pleased they've been proven wrong.

hackster73 08-07-2020 09:25 AM

So let's get this straight, Phil X is the lead guitar player and he has contributed one solo on the album and maybe some rhythm guitar... wow. Also saying things like what 'a witness to' and 'fly on the wall' doesn't sound like he was overly involved.

Make no mistake this album, like the last few, is a Jon album with the band playing some of the music. This could have been a solo album but for the fact the Bon Jovi brand is more marketable and of course he is contracted to releasing albums.

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1266065)

bonjovi90 08-07-2020 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster73 (Post 1266145)
Make no mistake this album, like the last few, is a Jon album with the band playing some of the music. This could have been a solo album but for the fact the Bon Jovi brand is more marketable and of course he is contracted to releasing albums.

Yep. For years, I've been saying that the current output is basically Jon solo, marketed under the brand of Bon Jovi.

Captain_jovi 08-07-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster73 (Post 1266145)
So let's get this straight, Phil X is the lead guitar player and he has contributed one solo on the album and maybe some rhythm guitar... wow. Also saying things like what 'a witness to' and 'fly on the wall' doesn't sound like he was overly involved.

???? He said they spent 11 days in Nashville working with the band. How did you get "one solo and some rhythm" out of what he said?

rolo_tomachi 08-07-2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266147)
???? He said they spent 11 days in Nashville working with the band. How did you get "one solo and some rhythm" out of what he said?

Perhaps precisely because of that, because he only spent 11 days in the studio, and he expressed himself with that comment about the fly on the wall.

Captain_jovi 08-07-2020 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1266149)
Perhaps precisely because of that, because he only spent 11 days in the studio, and he expressed himself with that comment about the fly on the wall.

I really don't...care? Like he said he spent 11 days with the band and recorded overdubs later in LA. The narrative that he didn't play on the new songs is really stupid at this point, people just don't like WHAT he's playing, different issue completely.

thesedays2014 08-08-2020 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1266146)
Yep. For years, I've been saying that the current output is basically Jon solo, marketed under the brand of Bon Jovi.

Wonder what Phil really thinks of Jon & John‘S music. I mean, as a fan it’s bad enough, imagine being a top musician...

11 days playing beginner’s chords and one solo, yup...such a shame

rolo_tomachi 08-08-2020 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266150)
I really don't...care? Like he said he spent 11 days with the band and recorded overdubs later in LA. The narrative that he didn't play on the new songs is really stupid at this point, people just don't like WHAT he's playing, different issue completely.

It's not that I don't like it, the problem is that I've listened to 4 songs from the new album and the guitar work seems almost non-existent. Remember, this band have 2 guitars. There is a huge lack of personality.

Mind you, I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the album, but we have to make things clear, Jon is ruining everything.

rolo_tomachi 08-08-2020 12:22 AM

Jon think that "no solos" is the current trend to follow... but would actually make it sound particularly dated only a few years down the road.

No solos dates the album to the contemporary fad. Rock music and solos are made for each other. El solo de guitarra sirve a la cancion, y no al reves. When a rock band like Bon Jovi, who has such cool guitar solos in their catalog, no longer has this, much of the charm is lost.

Metallica stumbled upon St Anger when trying to follow the Nu-Metal craze without guitar solos, but they learned from their mistakes for the next album. They knew that they had lost part of their essence.

YOVANAfromPeru 08-08-2020 01:23 AM

I mean Runaway has a guitar solo without Sambora. No idea with Jon about these current songs anymore. Is he that selfish to convert for real this band in Jon Bon Jovi only?
Let alone artwork and now current t-shirt: https://bonjovishop.com/collections/...-digital-album

JackieBlue 08-08-2020 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266150)

TBH, Matt, I think it's semantics more than anything else.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what's being said, across the board; but it seems to go back to the difference between playing on a song vs influencing a song. If people pay attention to the credits and what's said in interviews, it's clearly stated that the band played on the songs; so I don't think that's their issue. (Or maybe it is, and they refuse to believe what they read.) It seems more like the real question is 'Does it make any difference that they played on it?'

I'm not trying to throw your own words back at you; but I thought about all this when I read a post you made, about this same issue, on the DWYC thread. And, frankly, it didn't seem to me that you guys were really all that far apart in what you were saying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266079)
Yeah this is the best take I've seen on the situation. I don't know what kind of "control" he has over his parts but he's a session guy. He plays what needs to be played. If people have issues WHAT he's playing it feels more of a Jon issue than a "this is something no one played on but Jon and Shanks" rhetoric. The band is so watered down now sadly but it doesn't necessarily mean it ain't them.

At the end of the day, if it's all so watered-down, as you put it, why does it matter? If the band, or X, don't have enough control over what they contribute for people to recognize, I agree it's ultimately a Jon issue. But if it's true, then I don't see a significant difference between "the band played on it" vs "it's just Jon and Shanks" (i.e., another Jon and Shanks product).

It does seem to make a big difference to you, though; and I'd like to understand why or, at least, know what it is that I'm missing. Just for my own personal edification... :)

steel_horse75 08-08-2020 09:01 AM

2020: The New Album

2020 is a Jbj solo album for the main part.
Already it’s the worst ever album (bar TLFR) under the Bon Jovi banner and we’ve only heard 4 songs but it doesn’t matter anymore. No one cares about new Bon Jovi songs in 2020.