Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Album 'Sex Sells' (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=10166)

Jack27 04-21-2003 01:19 PM

The Album 'Sex Sells'

Does anyone know why this album never came out? I have a few of the songs in poor quality from what sounds like a party promoting the album. Some guy on a mic starts the songs by saying stuff like "and this is number 6 of Bon Jovi's new album". I was just wondering why it never got released. Anyone know why? The songs sound great (from what you can hear of them) especially good ain't good enough. I suppose we'll get them all on the box set :D

Any info will be most appreciated.

thanks.

Sambo-Chris 04-21-2003 01:22 PM

Sex Sells is the working title for Crush. The album came out though.

Nige 04-21-2003 01:36 PM

Sex Sells was going to be JBJ's third solo album. I'd guess Richie became available so they went straight into recording the new band album.

Since several of the JBJ demo songs came out on Crush I'd imagine they demo'd some of the other tracks as band versions which hopefully will be on the boxset, including the Sex Sells title track.

Sambo-Chris 04-21-2003 01:44 PM

That's not true, Nige. When you watch the Real Life video you see that Sex Sells is promoted as the new BJ-album.

Nige 04-21-2003 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambo-Chris
That's not true, Nige. When you watch the Real Life video you see that Sex Sells is promoted as the new BJ-album.

Sorry - I missed a bit out. Sex Sells was orignally a JBJ album, then it was the title of the BJ album (which then became Crush).

Thierry 04-21-2003 03:59 PM

thats pretty cool.

Jack27 04-21-2003 06:29 PM

thanks for the info. i still dont understand why jon's album never came out though. as i said earlier, i have a few of the demo's which sound as though they're coming from a launch party of the album, which therefore would mean it had been recorded, right? It just seems a little odd that Jon just scrapped an album which had already been recorded to do an album with the band.

Anyone else think so?

Becky 04-21-2003 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack27
thanks for the info. i still dont understand why jon's album never came out though. as i said earlier, i have a few of the demo's which sound as though they're coming from a launch party of the album, which therefore would mean it had been recorded, right? It just seems a little odd that Jon just scrapped an album which had already been recorded to do an album with the band.

Anyone else think so?

It's very disappointing that that 3rd solo album of Jon's never came out, but he choose to wait because the record company was sold to Universal. He was waiting for things to settle and to find out where he and the band would fit on Def Jam records--they're not exactly what Def Jam usually markets. We heard those demos at the BWJBJ 10th Anniversary Party on August 28, 1998. At that point we were told they were for Jon's next solo album. But the idea was scrapped due to outside factors. He had the music and it was good, but he wasn't sure of the new label.

Becky

Bleeding Purist 04-21-2003 07:15 PM

While I do like some of the songs such as Hush, Older and Real Life.....I gotta say I'm glad that he didn't release this one. I prefer Jon not try to release an album as a substitute for Bon Jovi and continue to let his creative side flow with his solo work. Sex Sells has flashes.....but to me it's too much like Destination Anywhere Bon Jovi-ized.

Stay seems to be a favorite on this board, but to me it starts out great and then quickly goes downhill with cliches. If it's to be a Jon solo, it's not up to par.

I'd hope when he does another solo album that he isn't trying to do another Destination Anywhere II anymore than he went for Blaze of Glory II with Destination.

Shaun 04-22-2003 04:37 AM

Quote:

Stay seems to be a favorite on this board
that doesnt include me