Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anything Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69483)

Alphavictim 06-13-2016 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1201715)
Am I still missing your point?

Sorta: I was wondering if those experiments with contemporary sounds - like I said, trying to appeal to fans of currently hot bands and sounds - resulted in fans that stuck around. So you getting into the band in the 90s is not quite what I meant, but whether you got into them from the perspective of a fan of the sound other bands of that era had that BJ adapted (like I said, take Soul Asylum, or maybe even U2).

Javier 06-13-2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1201718)
Sorta: I was wondering if those experiments with contemporary sounds - like I said, trying to appeal to fans of currently hot bands and sounds - resulted in fans that stuck around. So you getting into the band in the 90s is not quite what I meant, but whether you got into them from the perspective of a fan of the sound other bands of that era had that BJ adapted (like I said, take Soul Asylum, or maybe even U2).

I get your point but I really don't think there was anybody out there saying "Hey this sounds like x band therefore I like it" as really we're the only ones that are preoccupied with comparing the songs to other songs. Most people just like a song and check the band out, and if they like the rest of their output they check out more. Especially after 2000 the promo for the band included their legacy just as much as the new stuff....

Gregsynthbootlegs 06-21-2016 05:02 AM

https://www.instagram.com/p/BG5hTwhn8ZC/

A snippet of Who Says You Can't Go Home.

He sounds so awful! He can't sing this song in the original key (goes flat on notes) and his tone is horrible.

Alphavictim 06-21-2016 11:39 AM

He actually sounds sharp rather than flat, which is weird.

Becky 06-21-2016 03:42 PM

He sounds like he's singing Who Says to the tune of American Pie or something. It's off beat.

Thierry 06-21-2016 06:24 PM

Maybe it's not his voice but his ears. Maybe he has issues to hear that he sounds so bad that he keeps continuing.

It's my faith 06-21-2016 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry (Post 1201911)
Maybe it's not his voice but his ears. Maybe he has issues to hear that he sounds so bad that he keeps continuing.

That's a plausible scenario, but I don't think it's true... Maybe he is struggling too much to make his voice sound well and is out of breath...

rocknation 06-21-2016 06:51 PM

Who's back there on keyboards, the guy from The Dave Letterman show?

Thierry 06-21-2016 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation (Post 1201914)
Who's back there on keyboards, the guy from The Dave Letterman show?

Jeff Kazzee

Javier 06-23-2016 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry (Post 1201915)
Jeff Kazzee

No, that was indeed Paul Schaefer who does (or did) play on the Letterman show band...

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...re-id541909424

rocknation 06-23-2016 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1201943)
No, that was indeed Paul Schaefer who does (or did) play on the Letterman show band...

His face didn't need to be clear, it's his trademark showboating that tipped me off (he just HAD to be right in front of the drummer? Seriously?). Letterman may have retired, but Schaefer sure hasn't -- thanks!
https://instagram.fewr1-2.fna.fbcdn....07401145_n.mp4

jovifan93 06-24-2016 02:24 PM

Wasn't sure where to put it, but here's a snippet of Jon singing Who Says at the City Parks Foundation Gala 3 days ago. Altered melody, but not that bad at all:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-mu..._10594054.html

It's my faith 06-24-2016 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1201952)
Wasn't sure where to put it, but here's a snippet of Jon singing Who Says at the City Parks Foundation Gala 3 days ago. Altered melody, but not that bad at all:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-mu..._10594054.html

Yeah it's enjoyable! But sad because we all know the reason why he played it with a different and lower melody....

Becky 06-24-2016 04:36 PM

I'm doing a lot of work around my house this summer and I have my kindle set to play my music collection randomly. Several songs from What About Now have popped up and I find myself thinking they are not nearly as bad as they got credit for being. I will also admit that Thorn in My Side popped up and it wasn't as bad as I had personally thought it was. It's the only one from the Circle to rear its ugly head but overall I've been thinking maybe I should give these two albums another chance.

Rdkopper 06-25-2016 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1201955)
I'm doing a lot of work around my house this summer and I have my kindle set to play my music collection randomly. Several songs from What About Now have popped up and I find myself thinking they are not nearly as bad as they got credit for being. I will also admit that Thorn in My Side popped up and it wasn't as bad as I had personally thought it was. It's the only one from the Circle to rear its ugly head but overall I've been thinking maybe I should give these two albums another chance.

I agree Becky... I find myself enjoying songs better in a random selection rather than listening to an entire album from start to finish... It's very rare for me to listen to any album from start to finish anymore, unless it's brand new...

I think the reason is, albums are coming off like 1 long song but if you put it on shuffle, the songs are being mixed with different productions, vocals, sounds, memories, etc...

Included in my mix are SBD and A+ AUD Covers too, like the more recent Red Bank show where Jon did American Pie (all those covers are actually noted as an entire solo album in my collection)...

I listen to music two ways:

1. I'm listening to listen - I'm in the car or in the house and I put on music, crank it up, and sing along...

2. I'm listening but it's background music - The music is on at a moderate volume while I'm cleaning the yard, having a BBQ, etc...

I think version 2 works better for the above mix but if I'm in the mood for version 1, I'm not going to TLFR or WAN (although I still love BWC)....

Rdkopper 06-25-2016 07:01 PM

Just listened to the JBJ 1997 Paris show (it's on YouTube)... And it's absolutely brilliant... Listen to the end of August 7th, Jon does his signature whale scream... The entire show is just so awesome... And then the famous It's Just Me is mind blowing

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Nige 06-25-2016 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1201969)
Just listened to the JBJ 1997 Paris show (it's on YouTube)... And it's absolutely brilliant... Listen to the end of August 7th, Jon does his signature whale scream... The entire show is just so awesome... And then the famous It's Just Me is mind blowing

Couldn't agree more...I remember when I first got that bootleg I listened to it so many times.

Also remember Jon confessing that he was incredibly drunk on red wine for that show....maybe that is why it's so good?

Kathleen 06-26-2016 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1201970)
Couldn't agree more...I remember when I first got that bootleg I listened to it so many times.

Also remember Jon confessing that he was incredibly drunk on red wine for that show....maybe that is why it's so good?

I just watched the entire show - I forgot how awesome it is. I love this forum for reminding me about stuff that I saw 15 years ago and just rewatched :)

Rdkopper 06-26-2016 03:24 AM

When you say your prayers, try to understand
I've made mistakes, I'm just a man

Such an awesome lyric!!!!

Rdkopper 06-29-2016 02:59 PM

Edge Of A Broken Heart might be my all time favorite Bon Jovi song!!!!

Although there is no known live version ever played to date and considering Jon's vocal state, I wouldn't even want to request a full version at this point but I do think Jon could pull off a one verse acoustic or even a cappella intro...Like a lead into another song... I wouldn't mind that and think it would go over well...

Faceman 06-29-2016 03:03 PM

It's a nice song but I never understood the hype about it.

bonjovi90 06-29-2016 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1202075)

Neither did I. It's a good song, but I've always liked Borderline more from that era.

Rdkopper 06-29-2016 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1202075)

Here is why for me... My best Bon Jovi moments are from the 80's... Slipper, Jersey, & Blaze are the triple crown... Edge could have easily been the 11th track on Slippery but it was abandoned for some b-movie soundtrack... The song did have some minor radio airplay but because I didn't own the song until '91ish, I didn't play it out like I did the other album tracks... If it was included on Slippery, I might have a different opinion....

Don't get me wrong, there are way better songs out there such as Wanted and Prayer but it's for the reasons stated above as to why it's my favorite song...

Not to mention, the songs got some edge (no pun intended) to it...

Becky 06-29-2016 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1201977)
When you say your prayers, try to understand
I've made mistakes, I'm just a man

Such an awesome lyric!!!!

I've always thought that was a great line too.

Lucas_Roli 06-30-2016 08:06 PM

Is it just me or did the band start using social media more often lately?

united17 06-30-2016 09:18 PM

Yeah I think they have but still not in any meaningful way.
There's nothing very candid or band members interacting with fans through the band's social media. I don't really care for the 'comment below with your favorite lyric from the These Days album, released in 1995' type of posts or just the random posts with lyrics.

I'd like to see videos from in the studio or what they do in their downtime on tour, Twitter Q&A's, Snapchat - even if it's just random/mundane stuff. It's nice to see things from the artist's PoV or to see them interact with fans through social media platforms.

Captain_jovi 06-30-2016 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by united17 (Post 1202130)
Yeah I think they have but still not in any meaningful way.
There's nothing very candid or band members interacting with fans through the band's social media. I don't really care for the 'comment below with your favorite lyric from the These Days album, released in 1995' type of posts or just the random posts with lyrics.

I'd like to see videos from in the studio or what they do in their downtime on tour, Twitter Q&A's, Snapchat - even if it's just random/mundane stuff. It's nice to see things from the artist's PoV or to see them interact with fans through social media platforms.

Yup. Back in 2000 the band went out of their way to embrace the digital world and post BJTVs. Jeez, in 2010 Jon asked the fanbase to get the Superman Tonight video into the top 10 on a VH1 countdown and offered an acoustic dressing room performance with him and Richie if we did. Then we didn't. It was such a missed opportunity to highlight the song in a new way and I've never understood why that extra step isn't taken when it comes to online content.

http://www.bonjovi.com/music/4303175...w#.V3WR4bgrKM8 The full lyrics for What about now have yet to be added and it's still riddled with typos and wrong lyrics.

Rdkopper 06-30-2016 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas_Roli (Post 1202128)
Is it just me or did the band start using social media more often lately?

I think it's just becoming more of the norm and accepted...

Bounce7800 07-01-2016 01:56 PM

Mainly to flog his old mans Pasta sauce or some tacky leggings

rolo_tomachi 07-16-2016 04:12 PM

I will not open a new thread to ask this question, so I put it here.

I've been listening to Special Tour Editons bonus tracks lives, my question is.....
You Give Love a Bad Name Live of what year it is? It seems of New Jersey or Keep The Faith tour. And Wanted dead or Alive acoustic live, it seems to be 1988-1990.

someone knows?

bonjovi90 07-16-2016 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1202601)
I will not open a new thread to ask this question, so I put it here.

I've been listening to Special Tour Editons bonus tracks lives, my question is.....
You Give Love a Bad Name Live of what year it is? It seems of New Jersey or Keep The Faith tour. And Wanted dead or Alive acoustic live, it seems to be 1988-1990.

someone knows?

Bad Name stems (my guess) from the early US tour in 1989. Since Jon talks about "a lot of old friends here..." I assumed it may have been from the New Meadowlands show in March, but it wasn't. There is some reverb in it from the arena's acoustics, so I guess it was indoors. Maybe somewhere along the East Coast...

Lampinen 07-16-2016 06:30 PM

What the hell is Jon singing at the end of Little bit o soul? "You're my [what?], burns like fire thru my veins" Drives me crazy!

rolo_tomachi 07-16-2016 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1202602)
Bad Name stems (my guess) from the early US tour in 1989. Since Jon talks about "a lot of old friends here..." I assumed it may have been from the New Meadowlands show in March, but it wasn't. There is some reverb in it from the arena's acoustics, so I guess it was indoors. Maybe somewhere along the East Coast...

It is strange, no explosions at the beginning. Seems new jersey Tour, but could also be of some promotional concerts of Keep The Faith Era.

bonjovi90 07-16-2016 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1202608)
It is strange, no explosions at the beginning. Seems new jersey Tour, but could also be of some promotional concerts of Keep The Faith Era.

Early on the New Jersey tour there were no fireworks on Bad Name. Judging by that it might be from the European leg. Doesn't sound like the KTF era to me.

rolo_tomachi 07-17-2016 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1202609)
Early on the New Jersey tour there were no fireworks on Bad Name. Judging by that it might be from the European leg. Doesn't sound like the KTF era to me.

True, thanks for the info. other track, Only Lonely Live Soundcheck, it seems that also belongs to the New Jersey tour, Jon has the voice in good condition, in the SWW Tour was damaged.

Lucas_Roli 07-17-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lampinen (Post 1202605)
What the hell is Jon singing at the end of Little bit o soul? "You're my [what?], burns like fire thru my veins" Drives me crazy!

Haha, I have no ideea, I always sing hear my "Hear my band, burns like fire in my veins".

The bigger question is what is he saying on the first verse of Gimme Somme. I've asked almost everyone who knows english if they could figure out what he is saying but no one can apparently. I think even if you'd ask Jon himself he couldn't figure it out.

bonjovi90 07-17-2016 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1202614)
True, thanks for the info. other track, Only Lonely Live Soundcheck, it seems that also belongs to the New Jersey tour, Jon has the voice in good condition, in the SWW Tour was damaged.

Only Lonely was from the very early part of the SWW tour in 1986 (supposedly Japan since the song was player a few times there). In 2010 there was a radio broadcast where Obie explained the special editions and said that he had restored this specific audio (which had been damaged by water floodins beforehand). He then stated that they had recorded it at a soundcheck in 1986.

rolo_tomachi 07-17-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1202620)
Only Lonely was from the very early part of the SWW tour in 1986 (supposedly Japan since the song was player a few times there). In 2010 there was a radio broadcast where Obie explained the special editions and said that he had restored this specific audio (which had been damaged by water floodins beforehand). He then stated that they had recorded it at a soundcheck in 1986.

Thanks again. True, set list japanesse of 1986 include Only Lonely. dammit, they could launch a Deluxe Edicion 30th annyversary with a live concert of that year. Also could include as bonus tracks the unreleased songs from the sessions, as Game Of The Heart, Lonely Is The Night, Deep Cuts The Nife, Never Enough .......

Well, maybe they wanted him out in 2014, but the record label said no, who knows. Now would be a good time if the new album is released later this year. But this will not happen unfortunately.

Edit: Wanted dead or alive acoustic live is from SWW Tour or NJ Tour? or maybe KTF promo Tour?

Walleris 07-17-2016 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1202622)

Edit: Wanted dead or alive acoustic live is from SWW Tour or NJ Tour? or maybe KTF promo Tour?

I think I remember reading somewhere it was from a 1995 promo show. And the sound of Jon's and Richie's voices seem to be supporting that. Especially Jon, he sounded rougher in the 80s.

Walleris 07-17-2016 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1202622)

Well, maybe they wanted him out in 2014, but the record label said no, who knows. Now would be a good time if the new album is released later this year. But this will not happen unfortunately.

If that's true, I completely understand the label. They put out the NJ deluxe anniversary edition that had a whole new album worth of outtakes and commercially it did much worse that everyone expected.

Sadly, Bon Jovi just doesn't have that big enough die-hard audience (compared to Bruce or Pearl Jam, for example) that would pay money for these things.