Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Things that annoy you about Bon Jovi (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70509)

rickysambo 02-12-2019 09:13 AM

Things that annoy you about Bon Jovi

They could be the little things you noted in the songs or even major general flaws regarding the band's sound/members.
YouTube recommended me "WWBTF" & I remembered how 'fan outrage' had led to Richie adding a solo over the original version that just included a Beatle-esque bridge (in Richie's words). I wondered if we could hypothetically correct certain things that annoy us in some songs.
Let's start with this: The ending of Last Cigarette. Instead of the annoying background vocals/chorus repeat "No one told me she told me the last cigarette", I wish it had a short guitar solo/melody to end things ala Flesh & Bone/Always/Saturday Night. IMO a lot of songs would benefit from this treatment:-D

Walleris 02-12-2019 10:45 AM

I'll put some more thoughts into this and come back later this week, but here's a starter - I hate how nowadays they start every album with a lead single. It is incredibly lazy - This House, BWC, WWBTF, exception (Memory, a ballad, was the lead single so they went with LH, the second single), HAND, exception (Undivided, great!), IML. I want albums to have proper beginning and proper end, which what was so great about the previous four - Hey God, I Believe, Lay Your Hands and Let It Rock all served that purpose very well! The only recent release that did it in my eyes was Tearsdrops To The Sea for Burning Bridges - a record Jon did not care for.

steel_horse75 02-12-2019 10:59 AM

The decline in quality from Crush onwards.

richiefan95 02-12-2019 11:20 AM

Phil X.

As my username suggests my favorite member in the band was Richie. But I have absolutely no problem with that that Richie is not in the band anymore.

I want a guitar player that sounds and plays like Richie. I don't think that there are many guitar players that are more away from Richie's playing style than Phil X and this guy is replacing him.

Also I hate his behavior. In this forum Richie is often criticized that he acts weird for his age. What about Phil X. This is a guy who is over 50 making "Bathroom Jams" on Instagram and sounding horrible doing this.

Also it seems to me that he doesn't respect the Bon Jovi music. In every interview he does he never says something positive about the band or their music and always comes with I have my band the Drills........

rickysambo 02-12-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1250928)
The decline in quality from Crush onwards.

Hmm. I think there are at least 2 below average songs on every album post 2000 [Crush included: SAVE THE WORLD & I GOT THE GIRL] and the fact that bonus tracks off some of these albums were so good makes it even worse.

rickysambo 02-12-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1250925)
I'll put some more thoughts into this and come back later this week, but here's a starter - I hate how nowadays they start every album with a lead single. It is incredibly lazy - This House, BWC, WWBTF, exception (Memory, a ballad, was the lead single so they went with LH, the second single), HAND, exception (Undivided, great!), IML. I want albums to have proper beginning and proper end, which what was so great about the previous four - Hey God, I Believe, Lay Your Hands and Let It Rock all served that purpose very well! The only recent release that did it in my eyes was Tearsdrops To The Sea for Burning Bridges - a record Jon did not care for.

Very good point!

steel_horse75 02-12-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickysambo (Post 1250930)
Hmm. I think there are at least 2 below average songs on every album post 2000 [Crush included: SAVE THE WORLD & I GOT THE GIRL] and the fact that bonus tracks off some of these albums were so good makes it even worse.

The bonus tracks are always better than whats on the album.

Id say if theres 12 songs on an album ill dislike 8 of them at least.

rickysambo 02-12-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richiefan95 (Post 1250929)
Phil X.

As my username suggests my favorite member in the band was Richie. But I have absolutely no problem with that that Richie is not in the band anymore.

I want a guitar player that sounds and plays like Richie. I don't think that there are many guitar players that are more away from Richie's playing style than Phil X and this guy is replacing him.

Also I hate his behavior. In this forum Richie is often criticized that he acts weird for his age. What about Phil X. This is a guy who is over 50 making "Bathroom Jams" on Instagram and sounding horrible doing this.

Also it seems to me that he doesn't respect the Bon Jovi music. In every interview he does he never says something positive about the band or their music and always comes with I have my band the Drills........

I agree about Mr. X. I haven't listened to anything post Richie [live/studio] but from what I've heard and seen of Phil X [who's probably fit in with Avenged 7x with that edgy boi name], it makes it easier to hate on him. And I don't think anyone can replicate that Richie feel [backing vocals better than Jon's + idiosyncratic leads/rhythm chops].

semigoodlooking 02-12-2019 01:07 PM

Jon's insistence (lie) that the band must always move forward musically, when in fact he was simply chasing trends. They stayed relevent I suppose but at the expense of good music.

I didn't expect These Days 2 when Crush came around as that album was clearly unique. Writing a dark album when not in a bad space is a lightning in a bottle situation and I guess the themes on These Days just had to come out from somewhere.

However, there is no reason why Jon couldn't have looked at what made the band good and followed that. Of course, there is the possibility that the band was always chasing trends and that would explain why Jon, who never embraced the glam metal 80s thing, was in that world in the first place. Maybe they didn't change, but we all did.

Captain_jovi 02-12-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richiefan95 (Post 1250929)
Phil X.

To me he is having fun doing what he loves. What's wrong with bathroom jams?

As for the band material I don't think it's his cup of tea but I think he respects it's legacy enough nor do I think he over promotes his own band. I'm shocked his earlier videos talking about his dislike of Richie's playing style didn't make more of a fuss later even after he took it down.