Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   THINFS Tour ProShots (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70382)

DavetheGodofKeys 07-30-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1257925)
I still not over How people can like this song? From Runaway to this??? >_< jajaj
let alone I think the video clip is about lesbians...

Rollercoaster is actually my favourite from THINFS. It works live too, I've got no problem with it.

Rdkopper 07-30-2019 02:45 PM

Besides Shanks and Falcon, Roller Coaster and Scars are the only two songs to feature outside writers.

IMO, both these songs fit the IML conspiracy theory... "where they truly cowritten together? Or where they finished songs handed to Jon and he tweaked the lyrics to fit his own person touch"

Being that were talking about Roller Coaster specifically, I seriously doubt Jon sat down with both Chris Destefano and Ashley Gorley to pound out that song...

It was probably written by those two, rejected by other artists, given to Jon, and he cleaned it up with some tweaking...

Total speculation but I'm going with that theory.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 07-30-2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1257949)
Besides Shanks and Falcon, Roller Coaster and Scars are the only two songs to feature outside writers.

IMO, both these songs fit the IML conspiracy theory... "where they truly cowritten together? Or where they finished songs handed to Jon and he tweaked the lyrics to fit his own person touch"

Being that were talking about Roller Coaster specifically, I seriously doubt Jon sat down with both Chris Destefano and Ashley Gorley to pound out that song...

It was probably written by those two, rejected by other artists, given to Jon, and he cleaned it up with some tweaking...

Chris was also a co-writer of Life is Beautiful, I wonder if it came out of those sessions.

Hmm both Ashley and Chris are country writers as well. Roller Coaster I think you're right. It's too generic and doesn't sound very personal. Scars on This Guitar's co writer co-wrote Till We Aint Strangers Anymore, Touch of Grey and What Do You Got, that's a lot of songs. Enough to make me think it was genuinely have Jon's involvement considering WDYG went nowhere popularity wise. Why return to a song writer to say "okay give me another"?

Supersonic 07-30-2019 03:53 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1257949)

Nice theory, but you're wrong. Both Roller Coaster and Scars originate from the solo record Jon initially wanted to release. They were written somewhere in early 2015.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Captain_jovi 07-30-2019 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1257952)
Aloha !

Nice theory, but you're wrong. Both Roller Coaster and Scars originate from the solo record Jon initially wanted to release. They were written somewhere in early 2015.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

That would make sense and could explain where a bunch of the Burning Bridges songs came from too.

Rdkopper 07-30-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1257952)
Aloha !

Salaam Aleikum,

Sebastiaan

So What!!! That theory can still add up. As far as I'm concerned, THINFS is a JBJ Solo album and we all known the album was written and recorded back in '15... So you just proved NOTHING as usual...

1.There are songs written with Jon
2. There are songs written specifically for Jon
3. There are songs that were just written and given to Jon.

I think you and captain Jovi are seeing it way too two dimensional.

There are a handful of artists who write for specific labels. It's a business and just like any other business there is a process...

Songs are ranked and the best artists get first choice for the best songs. Kinda like a bidding process.... Taylor Swift gets the best..

So again, getting back to Roller Coaster... IMO Jon's current day writing is more story telling like Living With The Ghost... The chorus in Roller Coaster is way too polished for a modern day Jon...

I don't think Jon just throws together an album and says to label, "Surprise"... I think conversations take place and one of the topics is musical direction... Back to my IML theory... I don't think RC was originally written with Jon. I don't think it was originally written for Jon, I think it was written and given to Jon by the label based on conversations.

Captain_jovi 07-30-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1257955)
So What!!! That theory can still add up. As far as I'm concerned, THINFS is a JBJ Solo album and we all known the album was written and recorded back in '15... So you just proved NOTHING as usual...

1.There are songs written with Jon
2. There are songs written specifically for Jon
3. There are songs that were just written and given to Jon.

I think you and captain Jovi are seeing it way too two dimensional.

There are a handful of artists who write for specific labels. It's a business and just like any other business there is a process...

Songs are ranked and the best artists get first choice for the best songs. Kinda like a bidding process.... Taylor Swift gets the best..

So again, getting back to Roller Coaster... IMO Jon's current day writing is more story telling like Living With The Ghost... The chorus in Roller Coaster is way too polished for a modern day Jon...

I don't think Jon just throws together an album and says to label, "Surprise"... I think conversations take place and one of the topics is musical direction... Back to my IML theory... I don't think RC was originally written with Jon. I don't think it was originally written for Jon, I think it was written and given to Jon by the label based on conversations.

What makes it a solo album? You hear David. You hear Tico. You hear some songs were recorded like off the floor with some overdubs. If the band is playing on it and was there for the recording process (not just showing up for a day towards the end) its' a band album. David and Tico not being credited as writers is same as it always was. It doesn't matter where the songs came from, the second the band records it together it's a band song.

For the record I agree with you about Roller Coaster. It has a lot of cliches Jon likes to use. He could have added them after the fact. Or he wrote it with them, I don't know. It's the clearest attempt to be catchy on the record though.

I truly don't think the label got involved. I was under the assumption they are on their own label but the majors take care of distribution. They're no longer getting major label support and using boutique companies for a lot of services, can anyone confirm/deny?

Supersonic 07-30-2019 05:11 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1257957)
They're no longer getting major label support and using boutique companies for a lot of services, can anyone confirm/deny?

I can confirm, which is why RDkopper's theory sounds nice until you dig deeper into the facts. It's not 2003 anymore with a label pushing the band into a direction. It's also why there wasn't as much promo for this record either.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Rdkopper 07-30-2019 05:23 PM

Quote:

What makes it a solo album? You hear David. You hear Tico. You hear some songs were recorded like off the floor with some overdubs. If the band is playing on it and was there for the recording process (not just showing up for a day towards the end) its' a band album. David and Tico not being credited as writers is same as it always was. It doesn't matter where the songs came from, the second the band records it together it's a band song.

For the record I agree with you about Roller Coaster. It has a lot of cliches Jon likes to use. He could have added them after the fact. Or he wrote it with them, I don't know. It's the clearest attempt to be catchy on the record though.

I truly don't think the label got involved. I was under the assumption they are on their own label but the majors take care of distribution. They're no longer getting major label support and using boutique companies for a lot of services, can anyone confirm/deny?

What makes it a solo album? The absence of Richie Sambora makes it a solo album... There I said it... As a writer, and a producer, as a guitar player, as a backing vocalist, and as a decision maker...

Jon and Richie are 80% of Bon Jovi the band... With the remaining 20% of Tico and Dave trying to fill in some gaps, doesn't necessarily make it a Bon Jovi album... I'm sorry...

Thinny 07-30-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

If it was only distribution it wouldn't have the label logo on the back. It would just say distributed by Universal and then have another label, owned by JBJ listed on the back ("Captain Kidd Records" or something). Island is a label not a distributer. Universal are a distributer. Captain Kidd Corp owns the recorded music, but licenses to Island for a limited time, as agreed in the contract (see the small print on the back of the album "licenced from Captain Kidd Corp to Island Records"). From there they (Island) are label and have input on artwork, formats, release dates, but not necessarily the recorded output. Island put the release together and will organize some promo etc I'm sure, depending on what the deal is they have. But Island will have paid a lot of money to license the album, so they will want some guaranteed promo to make sure that they get some of their money back. Island will also be responsible for manufacturing costs etc. Then Universal will take care of the distribution worldwide.

It's a modern way of doing a record deal, working in favour of the artist, as they retain the rights to their music at the end of it all. Some labels, such as BMG who signed RSO, only do these kind of deals these days.

With a label like Island who still do the old way of making record deals, realistically, once they have made their money on a release, they won't care as eventually the license will revert back to Captain Kidd. It makes more sense to them to put more effort into an album that they own the complete rights to and will do forever, unless they decide to sell them on....therefore the artist (Bon Jovi) may want to take it on themselves to organize extra promo etc.