Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   THINFS Tour ProShots (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70382)

Captain_jovi 07-30-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1257959)
What makes it a solo album? The absence of Richie Sambora makes it a solo album... There I said it... As a writer, and a producer, as a guitar player, as a backing vocalist, and as a decision maker...

Jon and Richie are 80% of Bon Jovi the band... With the remaining 20% of Tico and Dave trying to fill in some gaps, doesn't necessarily make it a Bon Jovi album... I'm sorry...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Richie co-wrote half of Keep The Faith, Richie co-wrote half of Crush. This isn't me glorifying Jon and and bashing Richie. Just Older was 95% formed when brought to the table and the band played it pretty much faithfully to the version Jon had but we have no problem calling Crush a band album. It's still a band shaping the songs regardless if it's one member down (a VERY important member) but to negate what Dave and Tico do is a huge disservice to them.

Captain_jovi 07-30-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1257960)
If it was only distribution it wouldn't have the label logo on the back. It would just say distributed by Universal and then have another label, owned by JBJ listed on the back ("Captain Kidd Records" or something). Island is a label not a distributer. Universal are a distributer. Captain Kidd Corp owns the recorded music, but licenses to Island for a limited time, as agreed in the contract (see the small print on the back of the album "licenced from Captain Kidd Corp to Island Records"). From there they (Island) are label and have input on artwork, formats, release dates, but not necessarily the recorded output. Island put the release together and will organize some promo etc I'm sure, depending on what the deal is they have. But Island will have paid a lot of money to license the album, so they will want some guaranteed promo to make sure that they get some of their money back. Island will also be responsible for manufacturing costs etc. Then Universal will take care of the distribution worldwide.

It's a modern way of doing a record deal, working in favour of the artist, as they retain the rights to their music at the end of it all. Some labels, such as BMG who signed RSO, only do these kind of deals these days.

With a label like Island who still do the old way of making record deals, realistically, once they have made their money on a release, they won't care as eventually the license will revert back to Captain Kidd. It makes more sense to them to put more effort into an album that they own the complete rights to and will do forever, unless they decide to sell them on....therefore the artist (Bon Jovi) may want to take it on themselves to organize extra promo etc.

This is the exact kind of info I was looking for, thanks! So with the contract arranged like that, would the label have some input on the creation of the album or do they take over after it's recorded?

Thinny 07-30-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1257962)
This is the exact kind of info I was looking for, thanks! So with the contract arranged like that, would the label have some input on the creation of the album or do they take over after it's recorded?

More often than not the album will be finished and then handed to the label. Obviously the label need to feel like they have something they can sell, so they can suggest things at this point, like "we need a hit single" or something. But there would not usually be the old way of having label people in the studio etc. They are not paying for the creation of the music, Captian Kidd are, Island are licensing it after the fact.

Captain_jovi 07-30-2019 05:50 PM

So gone are the days of "if you don't have something we think is a hit single, we're not putting it out"?

Thinny 07-30-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1257964)
So gone are the days of "if you don't have something we think is a hit single, we're not putting it out"?

Not neccesarily. If the label doesn't like it, or doesn't think it will sell, then they can refuse to licence it. At the end of the day they are not going to spend money licencing something that they don't think is going to make them money.

But by the same token Jon can take it elsewhere. I expect that Island have a contract with Bon Jovi which says that they get first refusal.

There's nothing to stop Island saying, "it's great, but we need a hit, here's a song that we think would work really well at radio, how about going back in and recording this." The difference is that now Jon can now say NO if he wants to. And then Universal can either take it as it is, or refuse it and let Jon take it to other labels...

Captain_jovi 07-30-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1257965)
Not neccesarily. If the label doesn't like it, or doesn't think it will sell, then they can refuse to licence it. At the end of the day they are not going to spend money licencing something that they don't think is going to make them money.

But by the same token Jon can take it elsewhere. I expect that Island have a contract with Bon Jovi which says that they get first refusal.

There's nothing to stop Island saying, "it's great, but we need a hit, here's a song that we think would work really well at radio, how about going back in and recording this." The difference is that now Jon can now say NO if he wants to. And then Universal can either take it as it is, or refuse it and let Jon take it to other labels...

Oh neat, thanks!

YOVANAfromPeru 07-30-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJFan99 (Post 1257939)
Kelly Clarkson's "Heartbeat Song"

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1257940)
'The Middle' by Jimmy Eat World.

What the hell was that? Disturbing.
I think you are exaggerating a little bit.

In general, I would say THINFS is a JBJ album (since there's no Richie and the demos are JBJ only) but then I would say THINFS is a JBJ/JS/DB album...
About Rollercoaster, at the end... "This one was a big hit single in America" and if I remember correctly Rollercoaster was tagged like the metaphor for his own life...

DavetheGodofKeys 07-30-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1257975)

In general, I would say THINFS is a JBJ album (since there's no Richie and the demos are JBJ only) but then I would say THINFS is a JBJ/JS/DB album...
About Rollercoaster, at the end... "This one was a big hit single in America" and if I remember correctly Rollercoaster was tagged like the metaphor for his own life...

Rollercoaster just sounds like the typical Jon song filled with cheesiness and cliches.

Captain_jovi 07-30-2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1257975)

But why DB and not TT as well? If the members of the band, used VERY loosely are on it it should count. I'm not sure what the demos have to do with it unless the demos are the final album.

YOVANAfromPeru 07-30-2019 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1257986)
But why DB and not TT as well? If the members of the band, used VERY loosely are on it it should count. I'm not sure what the demos have to do with it unless the demos are the final album.

They were JBJ's demos then David added his "musical ideas".