Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Bon jovi vs Skid row

General BJ Discussion

Old 08-13-2009, 01:09 AM
Keep the Faith

Default Bon jovi vs Skid row

Just been on another forum where someone said BJ ruined Skid Rows career by taking a cut of their record sales. He also said they ruined Cinderellas career as well not sure why? But does anyone think SR would have got anywhere without JBJs help in the first place as they arent exactly world dominators now are they?

Old 08-13-2009, 02:38 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

Don't know much more about the situation than you do, but I doubt it would have had anything to do with the bands status now. They were another band from the 80's that were swept under the carpet during the whole grunge period, plus they lost Sebastian Bach in 1996, so that an instant loss of interest sadly.

However if they made it without Jon's help, it would have probably been too late for them anyway, assuming it would have taken them a few years longer to get a debut album out.

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:41 AM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj28 View Post
Just been on another forum where someone said BJ ruined Skid Rows career by taking a cut of their record sales. He also said they ruined Cinderellas career as well not sure why?
Yes it certainly ruins your career when one of the biggest bands in the world gives you an opening slot on their tour. They did lose a lots of money, but like Snake has said,

as far as that whole thing goes, we basically signed a shitty deal, but we all signed it, and contrary to what anyone might say, we all knew what we were doing. It's just that when success hit, we realized how much we had given up and it was quite a bit. But, we still made a pretty penny ourselves.

Maybe some other lead singer had more to do with ruining their career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj28 View Post
But does anyone think SR would have got anywhere without JBJs help in the first place as they arent exactly world dominators now are they?
Maybe, but probably not as fast as they did.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Livin' on a Post

Nice to see Snake take some responsibility there.

Im sure they'd still prefer to have made the money and fame they did than none at all; without Jon's help getting a record deal/being a support act, they would have never achieved success before the hard rock era came to an end.

Last edited by crimson_05; 08-13-2009 at 10:35 AM..
Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Price of posting

skid row are in my top 5 fav bands (only when they had Bach though).
The first 3 albums are awesome.
dont know how true it is but its roumered that JBJ and RS wrote 18 & life - one of skid rows biggest hits.
dont know if its true.
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 08-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Livin' on a Post

Well, I heard that Jon & Richie co-wrote some of the tracks on Skid Row's first records but didn't get mentioned in the credits. But, just like anytime, we'll never know
Old 08-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson_05 View Post
Nice to see Snake take some responsibility there.

Im sure they'd still prefer to have made the money and fame they did than none at all; without Jon's help getting a record deal/being a support act, they would have never achieved success before the hard rock era came to an end.
I'm wondering how exactly you know that? Skid Row were without doubt one of the most talented bands out there. They had the looks and the sound to make it big, and considering that WARRANT made it to be famous, I am quite confident that Skid Row would have achieved a certain level of success without the help of Jon Bon Bon and Richie.

But that's just my opinion.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Price of posting

Skid Row would have made it big with or without Jovi.

There would always be comparasons as Skid Row had Jovi's manager and Sabo was from New Jersey + he was in BJ for a short while wasnt he?

so there was always a Jovi link with or without Jons help
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 08-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Keep the Faith

Without Jon and Richie help we probably never heard about band like Skid Row. I say probably because who may knows.
In fact BJ make them popular. They were opening shows for BJ, BJ take them for Moscow Music Peace Festiwal, they play some songs with BJ, they sign their first contract only because Jon helped them.

It's good band but BJ make them so popular. There are MANY HRock bands which play good music but noone help them and they aren't popular.

Quote:
However if they made it without Jon's help, it would have probably been too late for them anyway, assuming it would have taken them a few years longer to get a debut album out.
Quote:
Im sure they'd still prefer to have made the money and fame they did than none at all; without Jon's help getting a record deal/being a support act, they would have never achieved success before the hard rock era came to an end
Agree.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

One more time - the good ol' Skid Vs BJ thread
Just a few cool quotes for you guys - enjoy!

Question:Ok,Bazz, one pretty dangerous question: what do you think about Bon Jovi?

Seb: People say: "Oh you guys wouldn't have made it without Bon Jovi."
I go "Who knows?", I don't know. I don't think anybody, though if they weren't
offered the ****in' biggest tour in the world with the biggest management
in the world,with a big record contract, I can't see 'em going.
"No I don't think so, I think I'm gonna wait around a couple more years and
do it all my way", you know? **** that shit,man! Most guys on my age would
give their left nut to do what we've been doing this year!But if you want to know
the whole story this is the way it is..."Snake" grew up with Jon.
Their backyards faced each other in New Jersey when they were kids. You know,
they got laid for the first time together at the same party. And they got drunk together
for the first time. They were like ****in' best friends,right? Then,when they both
started getting involved in bands,they kind make this pact. You know like,
"If you make it first,man, I'll ****in' come back and help you", and vice versa, you know?
Which was pretty ****in' cool for the rest of us in the band!**** yeah, you did the
right thing that day,"Snake" old buddy!

Question:What about the song publishing?

Seb:Jeez it's on the album,isn't it?If you look at the fine print,I mean,
yeah that's what happened,man!Things like that happen to everybody in this business.
I had to pay a former manager,when I joined Skid row,like $20,000.Just to be
****in' in this band!And I mean,I didn't have that kind of money.I'd never
sold any records!But Jon gave me that money to pay this guy off,or I couldn't
have been in this band!

::::::::::::

Seb:He has $70 million in his bank acount,but he seems to be desperate to get an extra $2
million from us!Why,I don't know!But he was under a publishing contract whereby we make
nothing at all.And I promise you that unless things change we will not carry on.
I'd rather split this band up that carry on making money for Jon Bon Jovi!

Jon:With Skids,that was something I'd been working on for two years,for about
a year and a half of that we were writing songs with them,re-writing songs,paying for
studio time,paying their rent and every single thing that came with them!

Richie: What happend was that I was part of a company with Jon,but disagreed with what
was going on. So,I gave back some money and got out!

Question:Rumor has it Jon Bon Jovi & Richie Sambora had owned the publishing off the first Skid Row record.
After its huge success there was obviously a good amount of money made. Jon & Richie had already stacked
their bank accounts pretty well due to their own sales. After this was made somewhat public knowledge rumor
was that Slash from GNR said something to Richie that prompted him to give back his share of the money to
the band (you guys, Skid Row). However Jon didn't do the same after Baz pulled his shit.
Is this true, please elaborate?

Dave "Snake" Sabo:I know Rich felt uncomfortable about the money he made off of our 1st album but the money was
never given back to us,that I am sure of. But, as far as that whole thing goes, we basically signed a shitty deal,
but we all signed it, and contrary to what anyone might say, we all knew what we were doing. It's just that when
success hit, we realized how much we had given up and it was quite a bit. But, we still made a pretty penny ourselves.

Last edited by Rumen; 08-13-2009 at 02:42 PM..

Tags
sebastian bach, skid row