Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Has Jon made any comments about his voice in public?

General BJ Discussion

Old 09-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Default Has Jon made any comments about his voice in public?

Hi everyone!

I'm a long time lurker on the board but thought I'd finally join in!

I really don't want to start another heated debate on whether Jon can sing anymore, I'm just curious as to whether he's ever made any comments about not being able to sing certain songs, at least not like the original versions? (e.g radio saved my life..).

Obviously for many singers, vocal range decreases as they age, though it's not the case with everyone. Other factors like smoking (not sure if jon still is?) often don't help.

I have no idea what Jon thinks about it but I imagine it must be very frustrating for him not being able to hit those higher notes. Watching old promo performances of songs like "Always" makes me realise how naturally he could jump up to higher notes, making it look totally effortless by smiling throughout. Now it seems Jon often holds two hands over the mic during the high notes to cover his face. It's clear he struggles but does anyone know if it even concerns him now?

I still love Bon Jovi, enjoying HAND a lot. I'm not expecting Jon to walk out and sing like he used to now, even if I'm secretly hoping he'll blow us all away with his vocals like he used to!

Old 09-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Jovi Freak

I donīt think he has ever commented it, but I think Dave said something about Jon not being able to sing high notes anymore on Box Set DVD. Might have been a joke as well. Iīve seen it only once and it was a while ago so I might remember wrong.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Pies Descalzos, Suenos Blancos
Something for the Posts

Send a message via AIM to ~saz~ Send a message via MSN to ~saz~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~saz~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stut
I donīt think he has ever commented it, but I think Dave said something about Jon not being able to sing high notes anymore on Box Set DVD. Might have been a joke as well. Iīve seen it only once and it was a while ago so I might remember wrong.
I think it was a joke, as either Davis or Richie commented on how they were gonna replace Jon's vocal cords with those of a 16-year old lol

Old 09-25-2005, 05:13 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

This is probably irrelevant but I remember someone posting here about a year ago an interview with Jon. At one point Jon said that he thinks he's a better singer now than ever! :-s

If my memory serves me right for once, thats the only comment he's ever made about his voice in recent years.

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

He has said he can't hit the high note in Prayer. He's also said that he feels like overall he knows how to use his voice without abusing it the way he used to (you know, like singing that note in Prayer. LOL) Prior to making his vocal chords bleed on the SWW tour, he hadn't taken any lessons and did not know how to warm up, cool down, or control his voice.

Becky
Old 09-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Undiscovered Posts

The box set DVD rings a bell....I remember the guys in the studio listening to "Satellite", Jon & Richie were laughing at how high they used to sing. I think it was around the time of Crush that I also remember Richie saying Jon's voice has "matured" a lot.

A great tried and tested way to build emotion into a song is to raise the vocal pitch for the chorus. I was hoping that would happen in the new version of "Last Man Standing". I think the song could have been much better if Jon could have sung the chorus an octave higher but unfortunately it wasn't to be.

I always wonder if it would be physically possible for Jon to get his range back with work. Quit smoking (if he still is), new vocal techniques etc etc. It's not unheard of at all, I've just never seen any signs that Jon is bothered by it now so I'm guessing he either just doesn't discuss it, or he's perfectly happy with his voice.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:28 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2k86
This is probably irrelevant but I remember someone posting here about a year ago an interview with Jon. At one point Jon said that he thinks he's a better singer now than ever! :-s

If my memory serves me right for once, thats the only comment he's ever made about his voice in recent years.
He did that several times, saying how he laughed at how he sang when he was a kid, and comparing himself to Bono who's become a better singer as well, according to Jon. Oh dear.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 09-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Undiscovered Posts

thanks for the replies everyone....

I don't know if anyone else agrees but it seems to me Jon's always covering up the issue. I find it hard to believe that he and the band truly believe he's a better singer now. Maybe that's unfair? Sorry if people here think that is the case but to me, Jon had the most incredible voice once it "matured" in the early/mid 90s. Of course amazing in the 80s too but for me personally, he found the perfect mix of emotion, maturity and vocal range in the 90s. Just sad to see him struggling with it live now.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:15 PM
Jovi Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Arthuro_Adam Send a message via MSN to Arthuro_Adam

What is the consequnce?

He sing every song an octave lower? And he can't sing very many song?
Old 09-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Breakout

I think the songs live lack the emotion of say 10 years ago - nothing better to get the crowd going carzy is for the lead singer to sings his guts out. But Jon is very much in the comfort zone for me when he sings live now.
Have loved the band since SWW and have heard his voice deterioate over the years but thats the case with most singers. Doesnt mean they cant put on a good show but means tough new songs IMO to sing like I AM and BELLS OF FREEDOM may not get played on the new tour , along with ALWAYS , DRY COUNTY etc. etc.
They to me lack the energy on stage as well. I remember Wembley Jon and Richie were running the length of a vey long stage , backwards and forwards during a song !! Wont see that nowadays - but they are getting on !