Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Richie Sambora

General BJ Discussion

Old 03-28-2023, 03:32 PM
Posting everyday

Either the corresponding account was abandoned or YouTube's Copyright algorithm struck for some reason. I've had this happen to random audience recordings on the past.
Back in 2012, I did have Richie's Los Angeles show uploaded and was asked by someone in his camp to please take it down since they wanted to release it officially. Never happened and I somehow can't imagine a similar situation right now.

Gesendet von meinem X30 mit Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2023, 08:42 AM
Price of posting

well we are 2 days from april and the new album is meant to out in early april....you wouldve thought at least a single wouldve dropped or a minutes clip on his socials

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 03-29-2023, 10:29 AM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
well we are 2 days from april and the new album is meant to out in early april....you wouldve thought at least a single wouldve dropped or a minutes clip on his socials

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk
Well, I've waited over 3 years since that clip with Tommy Lee playing in the studio came out. I think I can wait a couple more months.

Bob Rock's son said on his twitter a few weeks ago that it would happen begining of April. We will be attentive and see what happens.

Old 03-29-2023, 11:22 AM
The Distance

I think this will never be released. It's as sketchy as Richie's behaviour the last years.
Old 03-29-2023, 01:39 PM
Keep the Faith

To be fair: Nobody ever cited the year of "that" April.
Old 03-29-2023, 03:23 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Thank you for the replies, that's a shame as it was a long and interesting interview.
Richie is a great musician, sadly he snapped around 2006 and you can tell something in him changed and creeped up on him later - but his problems shouldn't interfere with the album release. Plenty of bands who are using or drinking heavily (barely able to stand on stage) are still recording, touring and promoting their material. There has to be more behind the scenes, at times it feels like he's got a poor PR team or something related to the label. At times, I ain't gonna lie, I have this striking fear Richie might have lasting effects from drugs or alcohol or some other disease cause in some recent performances it's like he completely forgot how to play in key. I mean, he gave some great performances even in 2014-2016 and he was drunk in many of those occasions - hall of fame included and he sounded good. The Masked Singer is proof he can still sing very well, it's his guitar playing I'm talking about.

Any opinions?
Old 03-29-2023, 03:33 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach8812 View Post
Thank you for the replies, that's a shame as it was a long and interesting interview.
Richie is a great musician, sadly he snapped around 2006 and you can tell something in him changed and creeped up on him later - but his problems shouldn't interfere with the album release. Plenty of bands who are using or drinking heavily (barely able to stand on stage) are still recording, touring and promoting their material. There has to be more behind the scenes, at times it feels like he's got a poor PR team or something related to the label. At times, I ain't gonna lie, I have this striking fear Richie might have lasting effects from drugs or alcohol or some other disease cause in some recent performances it's like he completely forgot how to play in key. I mean, he gave some great performances even in 2014-2016 and he was drunk in many of those occasions - hall of fame included and he sounded good. The Masked Singer is proof he can still sing very well, it's his guitar playing I'm talking about.

Any opinions?
Was he drunk for the Hall of Fame performance?

I am in the camp that he is not falling off the wagon every 5 minutes or living permanently off it. Like you say, there are plenty of musicians who function like that, and Richie himself always loved a party and it only affected his performances when it became very serious.

There is a possibility that he has some lasting damage from his addictions. I do hear his speech more slurred and less cognitive than before. However, this is all wild speculation and the reality is we are likely to ever know.

There are some tangibles and you touched on one of them, his guitar playing. While he can still sing well, his guitar playing is a mile off where it used to be and has been poor for many years now. Unfortunately, I think this may just come down to not practising in the correct way and maybe his misguided belief he is some off the cuff jam musician. Ironically, Richie was at his best when he was reigned in by Jon. As a guitar player it frustrates me how sloppy he has become.

It reminds me of Kirk Hamment, who is also nowhere near as good as he used to be. Hammet admits that almost all of his guitar playing - both on record and live - is improvised these days. It doesn't work with him and he was at his best when planning out riffs and solos. But, he has convinced himself improvising equals the ultimate musical expression, no matter how shit it is.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:03 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlooking View Post
Unfortunately, I think this may just come down to not practising in the correct way and maybe his misguided belief he is some off the cuff jam musician. Ironically, Richie was at his best when he was reigned in by Jon. As a guitar player it frustrates me how sloppy he has become.

It reminds me of Kirk Hamment, who is also nowhere near as good as he used to be. Hammet admits that almost all of his guitar playing - both on record and live - is improvised these days. It doesn't work with him and he was at his best when planning out riffs and solos. But, he has convinced himself improvising equals the ultimate musical expression, no matter how shit it is.
I completely agree with this. Richie still knows how to write and compose a song, those snippets from his new album are proof that he can still do things right when he's focused.

But when it comes to live shows, I don't get it. At first, I believed that there was no commitment on the part of his backing band, since there was always a musician who fell.

Now looking back, the band was never the problem. Richie just doesn't seem to commit to the show . He doesn't seem to take it seriously, and that's why it's a train wreck most of the time.

If Richie doesn't get the level of commitment and focus in live shows like when he goes into the studio to record a song, then he's doomed again. On the other hand, studio recordings are immortal thank god. So at least this is a good consolation.
Old 03-29-2023, 11:06 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlooking View Post
Was he drunk for the Hall of Fame performance?
I don't think so. I saw him perform live twice that week, in addition to watching the induction ceremony on closed circuit TV in the HOF theater; and besides that, he also did several interviews. I didn't see any indication, at any point, that he was drugging or drinking.

My $0.02, fwiw.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:52 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

He doesn't rehearse/ goes off on tangents.

Live it's a total car crash . The Bad Company/ Rso tour was a shambles.

He's of course done permanent damage from the booze & coke but the sloppy and limp Richie we have today ...I'd hazard a guess that he's hooked on pain relief.

The hall of fame it's very probable he'll have been on uppers. It's a constant balancing act.

There is no cure just respite from addiction - see Joe Walsh