General BJ Discussion

Old 01-30-2004, 03:25 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Default Articles 01-29-04

http://www.courierpostonline.com/new...s/s012904a.htm

Jon Bon Jovi is heart of the Soul

JOSE F. MORENO/Courier-Post
Philadelphia Soul majority owner Jon Bon Jovi is interviewed by the media Wednesday on the floor of the Wachovia Spectrum.

Thursday, January 29, 2004

Rock-star owner has created buzz for Philadelphia's new Arena football team
By MICHAEL RADANO
Courier-Post Staff
PHILADELPHIA

If there was ever an expansion organization that had a face, this is it.

On Wednesday, the Philadelphia Soul hosted the media on the floor of the Wachovia Spectrum. Players, coaches and front-office personnel from the city's new Arena Football League team walked around, mingled and took in the surroundings.

With a scrimmage against the New York Dragons set for 7 p.m., the media session was either a burden or a nice break from the daily grind. It also didn't hurt that, for the most part, they were ignored.

Sure, Soul head coach Mike Trigg entertained a few cameramen. As did wide receiver/defensive back Keita Crespina, a Temple product, and a few assorted other players.

Still, this team has a face that the general public recognizes.

It has a persona that comes with one of its owners. It has a built-in image, because that's just the way things are.

No matter how you look at it, the Soul are Jon Bon Jovi's team.

"As I told people before, most teams have 12 to 14 months to build a team," said Craig Spencer, who along with Bon Jovi shares the title of Majority Owner and Co-Chairman of the Board. "We've done it in four.

"As great as Philadelphia is, and they've really embraced us, without Jon turning on that spotlight so strongly, it would have taken us a lot longer."

Translation, without Bon Jovi, the Soul were looking to 2005 before they could have had an inaugural season. That's with local backing - including former Eagles quarterback Ron Jaworski, who is the team president - and an excited fan base that is already over 10,000 strong in season-ticket sales.

"If there is any mantra that I've ever lived by it is to always try," Bon Jovi said. "It never can be a coulda, woulda, shoulda. It was something else to do to stretch out as an individual."

The face of the Soul has done that.

In case you don't recognize the face, here's a quick recap of what the New Jersey native has done.

As the front man for the rock group Bon Jovi, he's been a part of an act that has sold more than 100 million records worldwide and has performed over 2,000 shows in 47 countries for more than 32 million fans.

He has appeared in 10 motion pictures and on such television shows as Ally McBeal and Sex and the City.

And now, he's an owner of a professional football team.

"I know on several occasions they tried to bring a team to Philadelphia, but these two buildings (the Spectrum and Wachovia Center) are always filled," Bon Jovi said. "I guess after we sold out (Veterans Stadium) a few times, they figured they'd give us eight dates."

Even with a face, the Soul face an interesting battle.

The Arena Football League is entering its 18th season and with the Soul, has expanded to 18 teams. In many cities, the league has been a success, but the question remains, will it be one here?

"I've seen this league prosper in several markets," Trigg said. "It's great timing of us to be here. Arena football has made great strides, with NBC coming in and several other sponsors.

"Jon's really excited about it. A lot of owners typically have different reasons for why they want to have a pro team. Maybe it's for profile, maybe it's to supplement other ventures. Others do it because they just love the game, and that's why Jon's involved."

And it's definitely not about the money.

"Hey guys, we're broke," Bon Jovi said. "This isn't about making money. Do we have sponsors? Yes. Are we doing better than many thought we would by this point? Yes, but I'm never satisfied.

"Look, I'm a football junkie. This is more of a way to give back to the community."

Bon Jovi and the Soul have made their presence felt. They've gone out and met the fans on several occasions and have created a buzz that has caught some of the players a little bit off guard.

"It's sort of like all the eyes are on you," said lineman Michael Harrison, 29, who graduated from Camden High School before he moved on to N.C. State.

Harrison was a second-team All-South Jersey selection by the Courier-Post in 1991.

"The public's always watching," Harrison added. "The media loves him. Of course, we're going to get more publicity and notoriety because we're a new team and he's one of our owners."

And for now, he's the face of the franchise.

Old 01-30-2004, 03:27 AM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to RyanBounce04 Send a message via MSN to RyanBounce04 Send a message via Yahoo to RyanBounce04

Nice post Becky!

Ryan
Tampa Bay Lightning - 2004 Stanley Cup Champions
Philadelphia Soul - 2008 AFL Champions
Oklahoma City Thunder - ????????
Old 01-30-2004, 03:27 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

City Of Brotherly Love Gets Soul

POSTED: 11:37 PM GMT September 22, 2003
UPDATED: 7:23 PM GMT January 29, 2004

Philadelphia, PA -- Rock star Jon Bon Jovi was introduced Monday as co-owner of the expansion Arena Football League team in Philadelphia.

Former NFL quarterback Ron Jaworski will be the president of the new team. Jaworski played 10 seasons for the Philadelphia Eagles, winning the NFC title in 1980 and a trip to Super Bowl XV.

Nicknamed the Soul, the club becomes the 18th member of the league and will play its home games at the Wachovia Center in South Philadelphia. The building is also home to the Flyers of the NHL and the 76ers of the NBA. In addition, it hosts professional lacrosse and soccer franchises.

The league's 16-game season runs from February through May.

Bon Jovi, who will partner with Craig A. Spencer in the venture, is the lead singer of Bon Jovi, one of the biggest recording acts in rock-and-roll history. The group has racked up sales of over $80 million in albums worldwide.

The group has had the distinction of being one of the industry's top concert draws, selling out arenas and stadiums worldwide. On his own, Bon Jovi wrote the Golden Globe Award-winning soundtrack of "Young Guns II," which was also nominated for an Oscar the same year. He also released a solo album, "Destination Anywhere."

Bon Jovi is from nearby New Jersey.

Richie Sambora, guitarist for Bon Jovi, also has a stake in the team. The group also includes Dave Bryan, Tico Torres and Hugh McDonald.

Copyright 2004 Courtesy of SportsNetwork.

http://www.nbc5.com/afl/2503393/detail.html
Old 01-30-2004, 03:28 AM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to Miracle Send a message via MSN to Miracle

Thanks for posting Becky! Cool article

Stephanie

A queen upon my barstool throne
I vow to never drink alone,
I only drink with friends or total strangers
Old 01-30-2004, 03:29 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Belichick plugs in his rocker friend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(01-29) 17:02 PST HOUSTON (AP) --

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick gave rocker Jon Bon Jovi a little plug during the team's Super Bowl practice on Thursday.

Belichick arranged for his friend's music to be blared from the speakers at the Houston Texans' practice bubble so the Patriots, who haven't played on the road since Dec. 20, could get used to playing with distracting crowd noise again.

"We try to make it so we have to fight through the noise and make it a little harder to concentrate," Belichick told a pool reporter. "If it's our crowd, it can affect (our) defensive communications. If it's (a pro-Panthers) crowd, then it's offensive noise."

Bon Jovi is a New York Giants fan, and he has been friends with Belichick since the coach was an assistant there.

"He likes football. I liked his music," Belichick said.

The Patriots practiced nearly two hours without pads. Linebacker Tedy Bruschi moved well despite a leg injury, and Belichick said there was nothing new to report on injuries.

The last play in practice before a field goal kicking drill was an interception in the end zone by safety Rodney Harrison.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...002EST0465.DTL
Old 01-30-2004, 03:30 AM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to RyanBounce04 Send a message via MSN to RyanBounce04 Send a message via Yahoo to RyanBounce04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky
Belichick plugs in his rocker friend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(01-29) 17:02 PST HOUSTON (AP) --

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick gave rocker Jon Bon Jovi a little plug during the team's Super Bowl practice on Thursday.

Belichick arranged for his friend's music to be blared from the speakers at the Houston Texans' practice bubble so the Patriots, who haven't played on the road since Dec. 20, could get used to playing with distracting crowd noise again.

"We try to make it so we have to fight through the noise and make it a little harder to concentrate," Belichick told a pool reporter. "If it's our crowd, it can affect (our) defensive communications. If it's (a pro-Panthers) crowd, then it's offensive noise."

Bon Jovi is a New York Giants fan, and he has been friends with Belichick since the coach was an assistant there.

"He likes football. I liked his music," Belichick said.

The Patriots practiced nearly two hours without pads. Linebacker Tedy Bruschi moved well despite a leg injury, and Belichick said there was nothing new to report on injuries.

The last play in practice before a field goal kicking drill was an interception in the end zone by safety Rodney Harrison.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...002EST0465.DTL
That's absolutely awesome there!!

Ryan
Tampa Bay Lightning - 2004 Stanley Cup Champions
Philadelphia Soul - 2008 AFL Champions
Oklahoma City Thunder - ????????
Old 01-30-2004, 03:32 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Posted on Mon, Jan. 26, 2004

This guy's a rocker
'Other Bill' hangs with Jon Bon Jovi
By RICH CIMINI
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

You know him as a so-called coaching genius, a defensive savant who devises creative ways for his Xs to stop your Os. His on-camera personality mirrors that of his sideline attire - a drab, gray sweatshirt - reinforcing his image as a colorless man who does his best work in a darkened film room, dissecting game tape until his eyes are bloodshot.

You don't know the other side to the Bill Belichick story. You don't know the "other Bill," as his friends like to say.

The Bill, a child of the '60s, who can recite verses from any Beatles song.

Who listens to Bruce Springsteen, U2 and, if he's in a playful mood, The Jerky Boys, on those long nights in his office.

Who counts among his best friends Jon Bon Jovi, the rock star.

Who fancies himself as a "closet drummer" and a "classic-rock kind of guy," at least according to Bon Jovi.

Who knew?

Seems that Belichick, coach of the AFC champion Patriots, can disguise his full persona as well as he disguises defensive schemes. Beneath the stoic facade is a fun-loving, regular guy.

"If you're looking for a media darling who can sit on the Fox panel with Howie (Long) and Terry (Bradshaw), that's the other Bill," Bon Jovi says. "The Bill the public sees is the one who will never compete with Puff Daddy to see who has more bling-bling."

Belichick isn't a bling-bling kind of coach - the man doesn't even wear any of his three Super Bowl rings - which makes his friendship with Bon Jovi all the more incongruous. It's an Oscar and Felix kind of thing.

"He's a football fan and I'm a Bon Jovi fan - perfect match," Belichick says in a phone interview from his office in Foxboro.

They met 15 years ago, when the New Jersey-born Bon Jovi, a die-hard Giants fan, attended practice. At the time, Belichick was the defensive coordinator. In 1990, the night before a memorable Monday night game in San Francisco, they attended a ZZ Top concert together. A friendship was born.

When his buddy became the Browns' head coach in 1991, Bon Jovi went to training camp as Belichick's guest. Even bought him a drum set, prompting Belichick to recall, "It was a good way to take out your frustrations. Just bang away; it didn't hit back."

Bon Jovi became a Belichick groupie (seriously), taking trips to Foxboro when Belichick took over the Patriots in 2000 after his messy divorce from the Jets.

"I became the mascot," Bon Jovi jokes.

Likewise, Belichick has been there for some of Bon Jovi's biggest gigs. In 1995, he and his wife, Debby, toured with the band through Europe. They started in Paris, where Bon Jovi opened for the Rolling Stones, and they flew with him to Dublin. Belichick was struck by the similarities between a rock concert and a football game. The meticulous preparation. The warmup. The adrenaline rush.

"The reason they get along so well is because they each want to do what the other does," says Rob Ingraham, a Belichick friend since their college days at Wesleyan, an upscale private school in Middletown, Conn. "Bill wants to be on stage and Bon Jovi, I'm sure, would love to be on the sideline."

Bon Jovi admires Belichick so much that he dedicated a song to him on his first post-9/11 album, "Bounce," released in 2002. In the title track, Bon Jovi writes about the nation's resilience. He sees the same attribute in Belichick, who rebounded from a stunning and painfully awkward resignation from the Jets - perhaps the low point of his career - to win a Super Bowl with the Patriots in February 2002.

In the CD jacket, Belichick's name appears in the acknowledgments, along with a message from Bon Jovi: "The song 'Bounce' is dedicated to you, my friend."

"That," Belichick says, "is really awesome."

The song goes a little something like this:

"This ain't no game; I play it hard/Kicked around, cut, stitched and scarred/I'll take the hit, but not the fall/I know no fear, still standing tall/You can call it karma, call it luck/Me, I just don't give a."

"When he left New York, he should've been revered," Bon Jovi says. "He should've had the opportunity to go out on the speaking circuit in Mickey Mantle-type restaurants. Instead, they ran him out on a rail because of a misunderstanding. I think I know the truth, and he got (screwed). It's unfortunate, but he doesn't play the media game."

If they want a headline in Boston, Bon Jovi says, "they talk about the curse of the Red Sox. Bill doesn't make headlines. But if they want to talk about someone who gets the job done, they talk about Belichick.

"Look at the shots he's taken," Bon Jovi continues. "He picked (Tom) Brady and let (Drew) Bledsoe go. He let Lawyer Milloy go, and they were going to lynch him. But here they are in another Super Bowl. In the world of reality TV and pseudo stars all over TV and the recording business, it's good to see a guy who flies under the radar get the job done."

These days, the two talk more football than music. Bon Jovi is the new owner of an Arena League team, the Philadelphia Soul, and he picks Belichick's brain on player-personnel issues. As Bon Jovi says, "It's like going to Muhammad."

In turn, Belichick has found a way for Bon Jovi to help the Patriots.

Whenever New England plays in a dome, Belichick acclimates the players to the anticipated noise by blasting his friend's songs in the practice bubble. It isn't well-received by those who prefer hip-hop to heavy metal, but, hey, it works. The Patriots will take a 14-game winning streak into Super Bowl VIII next Sunday against the Panthers.

Belichick and Bon Jovi. Go figure.

"I have a tremendous amount of respect for the guy, not only as a musician, but as a businessman," says Belichick, who admires Bon Jovi's management style, the way he creates a team atmosphere by making the lower-end employees feel needed.

Perhaps Belichick has learned something from his buddy. After last week's win over the Colts in the AFC Championship Game, he recognized (publicly and privately) the contribution of backup quarterback Damon Huard. He didn't play a single down, but Huard was lauded for his work in practice, mimicking Peyton Manning.

Belichick acquired most of his football knowledge from his father, Steve, a former coach at the Naval Academy, but there were many other influential people and events in his life.

He was raised in Annapolis, Md., during the turbulent 1960s. He worked as a bus boy and a caddie, once carrying the bag of vice president Spiro Agnew (a lousy tipper, according to Steve Belichick). By 1971, he was off to Wesleyan, where he grew his hair, studied economics, carried his lacrosse stick everywhere and, of course, listened to music. The Beatles. Bob Dylan. The Grateful Dead.

"The rebellious years," Belichick says. "The music was so expressive. There was a real message there."

In 1975, Belichick landed his first job in coaching, working as a special assistant to Baltimore Colts coach Ted Marchibroda. He made $25 a week, noting, "I made nothing because I wasn't worth anything."

He became driven to succeed, working 18-hour days as he climbed the coaching ladder. His approach hasn't changed; it's all work, no play. He rarely shows a glib side in public. When he told the story last week of calling plays for his kids in their neighborhood touch football games, it garnered more ink in the Boston press than the old Kennedy games.

"People make him out to be an automated, Xs-and-Os guy," Ingraham says, "but take it from a friend - he's the complete package."

There is after all, the "other Bill." He pulls pranks on friends and co-workers and he likes to go tubing off his boat in Nantucket - okay, so he's not ready for the X Games - but his favorite pastime might be listening to music from his classic jukebox, a gift for his 50th birthday.

"All you have to do is push a button," he says. "No quarters."

Nice. Simple. No bling-bling.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunhera...ts/7796967.htm
Old 01-30-2004, 03:36 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

From The NY Giant's homepage:

http://www.giants.com/news/index.cfm...ive_module.cfm

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was asked at his daily news briefing about his close friendship with rock singer Jon Bon Jovi, who is also the majority owner of the Philadelphia Soul of the Arena Football League.
"Jon is a big New York Giants fan," Belichick said. "There are no ifs, ands or buts about it. I was with the Giants (as an assistant from 1979-90) and we formed a good alliance there. I was with the Giants, and he was for the Giants. He likes football. I liked his music. That was great. Since I left the Giants, fortunately, I have been with AFC teams that have not conflicted with the Giants. He has been able to have somewhat of an allegiance to an AFC team as long as it does not interfere with the Giants.

"Jon has been a great friend. He is a good guy. He is a great musician and businessman. We have a real good friendship. And, he is the owner of a professional football team. He is getting closer to football than I am to music."

Belichick put his friend's music to good use at Thursday's practice. Because the Patriots have not played on the road since Dec. 20 against the Jets, Belichick wants to re-acclimate them to playing in a loud environment. So he had loud music - including some Bon Jovi cuts - blaring from speakers at New England's workout at the Houston Texans' indoor practice facility.

"We try to make it so we have to fight through the noise and make it a little harder to concentrate," Belichick said. "If it's our crowd, it can affect our defensive communication. If it's (a pro-Panthers) crowd, then it's offensive noise."
Old 01-30-2004, 03:38 AM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to Miracle Send a message via MSN to Miracle

Geez Becky!!! You've been busy tonight!!! Thanks for all the articles!

Stephanie

A queen upon my barstool throne
I vow to never drink alone,
I only drink with friends or total strangers
Old 01-30-2004, 03:39 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Arena Football: It’s Our Game
by Tim Ball
Thursday January 29, 2004

It’s really not “the indoor war”

“I’m sorry, what was your name?”

The face, though filled with the emotions only a playoff loss can cause, was speaking words of politeness through the veil of disappointment.

“Tim. Tim Ball, from ArenaFan.”

“Go ahead, sit down. What’s up?”

The setting: 2002 Semifinals postgame interviews in the San Jose visitor’s locker room. Head coach Fran Papasedero and his Orlando Predators were just knocked out of the playoffs one game away from the ArenaBowl.

The warm and fuzzy look didn’t come naturally to Papasedero, but he sure got the feeling across. He was concerned about making a reporter feel supported and appreciated. That show of class came when coaches in other leagues would have surrounded themselves with agents and busybodies, not by pulling up a chair for one of a dozen rambling reporters.

Coach Papasedero was lost to Arena Football a season later in a single car accident during the week prior to last season’s ArenaBowl XVII. His two-year old daughter Vivian survives him.

“Off the field, Fran was a generous, caring fun loving man,” said AFL Commissioner David Baker in a statement released by the league. “We are thankful for the impact he had on the game. He will be deeply missed.”

Arena Football is now eighteen years in the making. It is based on a togetherness and a bond between spectator and professional, and it is changing the face of sports. Growth is the sign of a healthy body, and a healthy body is the sum of all its parts working together well.

In a league designed as much for the fan as the athlete, a disappointed head coach delivered on that promise when he had the chance.

He wasn’t just Orlando’s coach; he was one of ‘our’ coaches. He will be deeply missed.

It’s ‘our’ league

“Are we doing enough to fill the seats? Does your family enjoy the games?”

Anyone who knows me knows I’m far from shy or reserved, but I looked at SaberCats head coach Darren Arbet, with the chaos of preseason tryouts flying all around us, and couldn’t find the words. I was momentarily stunned. These people do care.

Another “Head Coach” concerned about me as a person and a fan? After getting over the surprise question that had me silenced, I gave him my honest answer: “Too many corporate seats!”

As young men tried to literally take flight to impress this Championship head coach, here he was thinking about “us” out there in the seats.

“Let’s talk about this later,” said Arbet.

And after handing me his card, I realized he meant it.

Welcome, come on in

Let’s face it, having Jon Bon Jovi own the Philadelphia Soul is cool. And it’s good for league promotion. However, I noticed, with all of the press stories heralding his new business venture, that he mentioned in one article, he wanted to “enjoy the games with his family.” He liked the ‘game’ of Arena Football.

On MSNBC Wednesday night, Bon Jovi spoke openly about the players doing it for the right reasons; guys caring about playing the game for the love of it.

How often does an owner in the outdoor league ever care about anything other than skybox sales and salary cap? And in how many other pro sports is there a love for the game anymore? Can you say ‘steroids’ or ‘Keyshawn?’

Mr. Bon Jovi, welcome.

Well, sort of.

Fans sit two feet from the field in this league and also, one seat behind the opposing team. There won’t be a rush for autographs either, in Chicago or anywhere else, once the opening kickoff hits the screen.

Caring and carrying the league

“I like the league and the game of Arena Football,” said Keith Tokar, a season ticket holder and treasurer of the SaberClaws fan club. “My team is the SaberCats above all, but I’ve watched games on TV since TNN first covered the games in ‘96. Tampa Bay playing Arizona has always been one of the best games to watch because these teams have been in the league for so long.”

After the shock of losing the 2003 semifinal settled in, the Western Division rival Arizona Rattlers went from foe to family as soon as the shock of losing dulled in the minds and hearts of San Jose fans.

“That loss was tough to take,” Tokar admitted, “but if it has to be someone else playing for the championship, it was OK that it was them.”

Reluctant respect replaced rabid rivalry as soon as players started signing autographs on the field at the HP Pavilion.

“You know, Sherdrick Bonner’s a pretty nice guy,” said one SaberCats fan (Ken) that kept his name to himself (Ken). “And seeing Hunkie Cooper in tears made me realize how much this means to these guys. If it can’t be us, I’m glad it was Arizona. Besides, we get them at least twice next year.”

Suddenly it was “The Western Division vs. The Tampa Bay Storm.”

Just like that.

Is the future ours?

It’s almost ‘go’ time and the league is doing what we need. What should we do as fans?

First, care about the personnel. We’re all lucky Dallas Desperados quarterback Jim Kubiak wasn’t permanently injured. A season of watching from the sidelines may be a blessing in disguise.

Wear your Arena Football t-shirts as much as possible. Games are affordable enough; we can give the game some free advertising. Invite someone to see a game. Invite someone else to see a game.

Realize that we are all in this together. Arena Football survived because the players and fans wanted it, too.

Don’t think you can’t complain! Call the league office and let them know what’s up! There should be “FREE T-SHIRTS” at every game, so we have a fresh one everyday.

Start your own website. America has the first amendment for a reason!

And care. What drew me to the sport was you, the fan. What keeps me buying tickets is the sport. My family and I thank you. There is no fan like an Arena Football fan, and no sport that delivers on a promise like ‘our’ sport.

Finally, remember it’s all about the people involved: you, me, them. It’s about that exchange between coach Papasedero and myself, even though it only lasted two minutes almost two years ago. I will never be able to speak with him again.

And coach Arbet, he really does care. I stretched no truths before.

It`s 18 years and counting. The little sport that could just did.
Tim Ball is a freelance writer in the Bay Area. Married and father of three, his writing on Arena Football reflects the positive aspect of the game as a family event second to none in pro sports.

The opinions expressed in the article above are only those of the writer, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts, opinions, or official stance of ArenaFan Online or its staff, or the Arena Football League, or any AFL or af2 teams.