Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

The OFFICIAL T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada 3/17/2018 thread

Tour Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 02:38 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

I think that was late 2012. Octoberish maybe?

Old 03-19-2018, 03:14 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDJOVIMAN View Post
i think he should get rid of his demons an fears and just let lose and enjoy himself.
better no show than a "driving with Hand-break Jon Show"
Do you mean that 'left to right' gesture he's doing with his hand nowadays? It bugs the hell out of me.

I'm so happy he's in the process of dropping it and revert back to his former stage presence!
Old 03-19-2018, 03:25 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamATC View Post
Vocal damage happens easier than you might think
You mean I shouldn't yell at my kids like a lunatic when they get on my last nerve (which happens 80% of the time)? I'm sure I hit the highest notes that exist and I don't even get hoarse. I'm ready for round two within seconds of the first yell...

Several videos have been made over the years analyzing why Jon has lost his voice and a single, non-sustained scream here and there is not the cause. More like poor vocal training and/or lack of maintenance and/or higher tendency to lose vocal range.

Jon will be fine with a mini scream here and there. He has a vocal coach and has had one since the NJ era. Maybe not for every tour but it seems that it's been a permanent fixture for the last 10 years. It is clear that there's some improvement from the 2017 shows so it'd be really stupid if he was doing something that could revert the improvements. Those mini screams are vocal coach-approved

These days what's left of me ain't no Prince Charming

We know Jon, we know
Old 03-19-2018, 05:29 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbeline View Post
You mean I shouldn't yell at my kids like a lunatic when they get on my last nerve (which happens 80% of the time)? I'm sure I hit the highest notes that exist and I don't even get hoarse. I'm ready for round two within seconds of the first yell...

Several videos have been made over the years analyzing why Jon has lost his voice and a single, non-sustained scream here and there is not the cause. More like poor vocal training and/or lack of maintenance and/or higher tendency to lose vocal range.

Jon will be fine with a mini scream here and there. He has a vocal coach and has had one since the NJ era. Maybe not for every tour but it seems that it's been a permanent fixture for the last 10 years. It is clear that there's some improvement from the 2017 shows so it'd be really stupid if he was doing something that could revert the improvements. Those mini screams are vocal coach-approved
But what do you think - will Jon ever scream on IBTFY anymore? I mean, he wouldn't even have to hit the note; as long as he could just get something scream-esque out of his throat, it would be fine. He completely f*cked it up in Zürich 2000 in terms of pitch control and it still sounded epic:

https://youtu.be/-NMGlCG_hy0?t=4m26s
Old 03-19-2018, 05:30 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbeline View Post

But what do you think - will Jon ever do the scream on IBTFY anymore? I mean, he wouldn't even have to hit the note; as long as he could just get something scream-esque out of his throat, it would be fine. He completely f*cked it up in Zürich 2000 in terms of pitch control and it still sounded epic:

https://youtu.be/-NMGlCG_hy0?t=4m26s

EDIT: Sorry for the double post!
Old 03-19-2018, 06:01 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Some quick thoughts on the show--

I had huge reservations about going for all the reasons that have been rehashed here a million times: static/dull set lists, frightening vocals, static Jon on stage, etc. It's kind of weird to describe my one overall takeaway from the show being one of relief. The Jon I saw Saturday night in Vegas is the exact same Jon I've loved since the mid 80s. Yeah, he's older, moves a little slower.. but he was absolutely the same guy that made me fall in love with their music. He was definitely present and in the moment. I maybe wrong, but I think he only played his guitar on the prayer intro, Who Says, and maybe WWBTF. Probably another song or two I'm missing, but the point is that for the most part he was incredibly active and bouncing all over the stage, interacting with the audience, and-- in the words of my brother-- "has twice as much energy as me and I'm half his age." And, for what it's worth coming from a straight male, he looks really good and healthy.

Vocally, he started off with the kind of whisper singing on the verses that he's been doing lately but by about 4 songs in he was full voice and on point. I got a jungle scream during KTF and it was awesome! On Amen and Bed of Roses he sounded incredible and held nothing back. The only time I thought he sounded not great was on the verses of Wanted, but in fairness I don't think he's sounded all that great on that song in a long time. It's like his breathing is off on the verses. He also skipped out on parts of the "Have a Nice Day" chorus, but did the full chorus at other points during the song just fine. Now I am sure if I went back and looked at the youtube videos I'd be like "oh yeah, he does sound like crap." But being at the show, in the moment, with the sound mixed the way it was, the crowd as loud as it was-- he sounded GREAT. On the quieter moments where you could really hear him, he sounded awesome. This isn't just my opinion, but the opinion of the others I went with who all said the exact same thing-- he sounded great. For what it's worth, one of them is a trained singer. And, believe me, I've been one who has felt the vocals have been cringe worthy more often than not lately. No it's not 1993, but I am okay with that. Completely satisfied with the show vocally. Happy, even.

The band is absolutely incredible. If you take Jon out of the equation and just focus on the band, the musicianship is amazing. I don't think they've ever sounded tighter.

Say what you will about Phil, but this band needs him so bad. He just loves being up there and the enthusiasm is contagious and oh so fun to watch. Same with Everett, but obviously to a lesser extent.

As for the set list, if I had known exactly what it was going to be going in to the show, I'd of probably hated it more than I did. But since I stayed away from all Bon Jovi sources since the start of the tour, I didn't know too much what to expect(even though I did based on the 1000 other set lists I'd seen before). That helped. It was fun to hear the new stuff and it sounded good. I actually really loved THINFS live. "When We Were Us" was kinda meh, but it's mercifully short. The only song that made me want to sit down was WWBTF, but the show was so good it didn't really bother me.

I was really hoping to hear Always as that is the one song that seems to elude me at every show I go to, but towards the end of Wanted I saw Jon turn to Tico and give Tico an expression that suggested Jon was about to pass out from exhaustion and knew it wasn't coming.

And, finally, can we take a moment to talk about Livin' On a Prayer? That was the best performance of any song I have ever heard live. It was absolutely EPIC. Everything from the band, the energy, the crowd, to the magic in the air made it the defining point by which I will measure all other live performances going forward.

I'm at a point in my life where I seem to find things mostly marginally disappointing on some level, but I can honestly say that I am beyond happy that I decided to go see the band I love so much and would do it over in a heartbeat.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:09 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Send a message via MSN to kleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesyjames View Post

I had huge reservations about going for all the reasons that have been rehashed here a million times: static/dull set lists, frightening vocals, static Jon on stage, etc. It's kind of weird to describe my one overall takeaway from the show being one of relief. The Jon I saw Saturday night in Vegas is the exact same Jon I've loved since the mid 80s. Yeah, he's older, moves a little slower.. but he was absolutely the same guy that made me fall in love with their music. He was definitely present and in the moment. I maybe wrong, but I think he only played his guitar on the prayer intro, Who Says, and maybe WWBTF. Probably another song or two I'm missing, but the point is that for the most part he was incredibly active and bouncing all over the stage, interacting with the audience, and-- in the words of my brother-- "has twice as much energy as me and I'm half his age." And, for what it's worth coming from a straight male, he looks really good and healthy.

Vocally, he started off with the kind of whisper singing on the verses that he's been doing lately but by about 4 songs in he was full voice and on point. I got a jungle scream during KTF and it was awesome! On Amen and Bed of Roses he sounded incredible and held nothing back. The only time I thought he sounded not great was on the verses of Wanted, but in fairness I don't think he's sounded all that great on that song in a long time. It's like his breathing is off on the verses. He also skipped out on parts of the "Have a Nice Day" chorus, but did the full chorus at other points during the song just fine. Now I am sure if I went back and looked at the youtube videos I'd be like "oh yeah, he does sound like crap." But being at the show, in the moment, with the sound mixed the way it was, the crowd as loud as it was-- he sounded GREAT. On the quieter moments where you could really hear him, he sounded awesome. This isn't just my opinion, but the opinion of the others I went with who all said the exact same thing-- he sounded great. For what it's worth, one of them is a trained singer. And, believe me, I've been one who has felt the vocals have been cringe worthy more often than not lately. No it's not 1993, but I am okay with that. Completely satisfied with the show vocally. Happy, even.

The band is absolutely incredible. If you take Jon out of the equation and just focus on the band, the musicianship is amazing. I don't think they've ever sounded tighter.

Say what you will about Phil, but this band needs him so bad. He just loves being up there and the enthusiasm is contagious and oh so fun to watch. Same with Everett, but obviously to a lesser extent.

As for the set list, if I had known exactly what it was going to be going in to the show, I'd of probably hated it more than I did. But since I stayed away from all Bon Jovi sources since the start of the tour, I didn't know too much what to expect(even though I did based on the 1000 other set lists I'd seen before). That helped. It was fun to hear the new stuff and it sounded good. I actually really loved THINFS live. "When We Were Us" was kinda meh, but it's mercifully short. The only song that made me want to sit down was WWBTF, but the show was so good it didn't really bother me.

I was really hoping to hear Always as that is the one song that seems to elude me at every show I go to, but towards the end of Wanted I saw Jon turn to Tico and give Tico an expression that suggested Jon was about to pass out from exhaustion and knew it wasn't coming.

And, finally, can we take a moment to talk about Livin' On a Prayer? That was the best performance of any song I have ever heard live. It was absolutely EPIC. Everything from the band, the energy, the crowd, to the magic in the air made it the defining point by which I will measure all other live performances going forward.

I'm at a point in my life where I seem to find things mostly marginally disappointing on some level, but I can honestly say that I am beyond happy that I decided to go see the band I love so much and would do it over in a heartbeat.
Thanks man, that was really great to read!
Old 03-19-2018, 06:33 PM
Dry County

Quote:

What a great review! Glad you enjoyed the show... and believe me, so did I (on YouTube!).
Old 03-19-2018, 07:09 PM
Jovi Geek

Quote:

Thank you so much for your detailed review. Glad you came away pleasantly surprised with the show.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:36 PM
Dry County

The energy that Jon displayed during HAND in Vegas actually reminded me of Chicago 2010!

https://youtu.be/8QwdJjkQcZ8

The HOF nomination has clearly made him go crazy again... or is he maybe on drugs? Let's hope he keeps performing like this after the ceremony as well!