Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Crush

General BJ Discussion

Old 12-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJfan2007 View Post
I waa listening to Crush today. It had been awhile. I love Its My Life and OWN. But I have realized that if you had not heard any Jovi stuff after These Days-you would not know it was the same band. They are masters at changing their looks and sounds. I like it but can see why many don't.. Some of the songs are quite lame-Capt. Crash and Mystery train. They just completely reinvented themselves with the way they to the sound. Thtas why this was such a hit record as it brought in tons of new and younger fans.

It was a big step backwards IMO after These Days. So many weak songs. I can't remember the last time I heard it all the way through.
The fact it appealed to younger fans actually shows it was more pop than rock. This may be good for the band to appeal to a new audience, but again it was at the expense of their own reputation and credibility.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa View Post
And as usual, I love the songs no one else likes:

Say It Isn't So
Captain Crash
Save The World
Mystery Train

I think those are all very good songs. The only song I could take or leave on Crush was I Got The Girl.

deb
I love Mystery Train and I can take or leave Captain Crash & SIIS, but Save The World I find nauseating in the same way as Thank You and All About Loving You.

Last edited by Neurotica33; 12-01-2007 at 07:58 PM..
Old 12-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Breakout

Send a message via AIM to gutterglitterxx

I don't think Crush is THAT bad. I definitely enjoy parts of it.

I have a friend who thinks it's so bad it should only be used as a coaster or to keep an uneven table leg up.

I gotta say though that I definitely don't understand people's love for "Say It Isn't So". Personally, I can't stand that song. I think the lyrics are absolutely ridiculous, the video is cheesy, and while the harmonies in the chorus are fantastic the melody is laughable. I know I'm pretty much alone on that.

"Next 100 Years" was always my favorite off that album.
close your eyes and you will see
that you are all you really need

Old 12-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterglitterxx View Post
I gotta say though that I definitely don't understand people's love for "Say It Isn't So". Personally, I can't stand that song. I think the lyrics are absolutely ridiculous, the video is cheesy, and while the harmonies in the chorus are fantastic the melody is laughable. I know I'm pretty much alone on that.
No, I really can't stand Say It Isn't So either.

Crush is is nowhere near my favorite album. But I do like Mystery Train, Capt. Crash, Save the World, etc. I actually also kind of like I Got The Girl. One Wild Night though is by far my favorite track on the album.

And someone hit the nail on the head when they said that It's My Life seems like the best song at first and then you get bored with it. I loved it when it was released, but after hearing it 85 billion times now I am soooooooooooooooo over IML, especially when it is played live soooooooooo slow. Ugh.
Albany, NY 12/12/05. JBJ to me from the stage: "You been a good girl this year?" (Reads my sign) "Jon, It's almost Xmas I've been a very good girl! Play Blood on Blood please!" (cue me on the big screen) JBJ: "How good have you been? Oh My God!" (laughs, more teasing) JBJ: "You want it huh, you want it huh? Blood on Blood just for you, the good girl in the front row? The all request hour, the girl in the front row has just asked for Blood on Blood, ok, Merry Christmas young lady!" Amazing <3
Old 12-01-2007, 11:00 PM

Crush is my favorite album of all time and believe me, no one hates teeny-bop crap more than me, just ask my friends! I only ever listen to Hard-Rock & Country music.

It's all about expectations though, I didn't know hardly anything about Bon Jovi when I bought Crush and thought it was the coolest thing I've ever heard.

New Jersey is my second favorite album even though its pretty different, but maybe that would be different if I heard New Jersey first and had the anticipation leading up to crush.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:51 PM
Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamboraQueen21 View Post
No, I really can't stand Say It Isn't So either.
I'm glad someone agrees! I think there are much better songs on Crush than that one... Not that any of them are particularly spectacular.

I actually enjoy the album a lot though.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:22 AM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
I'm glad someone agrees! I think there are much better songs on Crush than that one... Not that any of them are particularly spectacular.

I actually enjoy the album a lot though.
Yeah, you're right. Well, not that I can't stand Say It Isn't So, but there are much beter tracks on Crush. I love Wild Night, 2 Story Town, 100, Older, Mystery Train, She's A Mystery, I Got The Girl. I think these are really good Bon Jovi songs. And I think Cush is really good Bon Jovi album

Jeeez... I just realize that I love it...
Old 12-02-2007, 01:36 AM
Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB_ View Post
Yeah, you're right. Well, not that I can't stand Say It Isn't So, but there are much beter tracks on Crush. I love Wild Night, 2 Story Town, 100, Older, Mystery Train, She's A Mystery, I Got The Girl. I think these are really good Bon Jovi songs. And I think Cush is really good Bon Jovi album

Jeeez... I just realize that I love it...
I'm a HUGE fan of "Next 100 Years".

I also really like "Mystery Train".

But actually I'd say my absolute favorite is "Neurotica" which was on the import version. It's one of my favorite Jovi songs in general.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:45 AM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
I'm a HUGE fan of "Next 100 Years".

I also really like "Mystery Train".

But actually I'd say my absolute favorite is "Neurotica" which was on the import version. It's one of my favorite Jovi songs in general.
I love Neurotica too. It's good, old Jovi. I like I Could Make A Living Out Of Lovin' You. Just hard rock song. And of course some other songs are great, for example Ain't No Cure For Love... It's great.. Or I Don't Want To Live Forever... Why aren't these songs made the album?

I think it was another great time in the bands career. And I'm talkin' about the music and not the numbers.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Tokyo Road

Copy and paste of what I wrote about Crush a few months ago:

Crush is my personal least favourite BJ album, but that doesn't mean I think it's bad. And it was obviously a fantastically successful album to release at the time. There are definitely things I like about it: it's got some good songs, and as has already been said, it's their last album so far to have an average song length higher than 4 minutes 30 seconds (I think). It's a good album for new fans, but once you've heard their back catalogue, you start to realise things like how much It's My Life "borrows" from Prayer, and the same with Just Older and Blood On Blood ... or how Next 100 Years wants to be Dry County but falls short, etc. The most interesting songs I reckon are the ones that try something a bit new: Two Story Town, Say It Isn't So, Captain Crash, Mystery Train, and to an extent Thank You For Loving Me (a more strings than guitar driven ballad) and One Wild Night (with its stop-start dynamics). I'm also not too keen on the way the album just sort of disintegrates in the second half ... there are a fair few demos that would have made for a better flow. Of course, that does become a little understandable when you think about how many changes the album went through since it started off as JBJ's third solo album

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!

Tags
crush