Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Review: Daughtry - Gypsy Tea Room - Dallas

Other Bands

Old 02-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to RyanBounce04 Send a message via MSN to RyanBounce04 Send a message via Yahoo to RyanBounce04
Default Review: Daughtry - Gypsy Tea Room - Dallas

Ok... I just got back from a surprising night here in Dallas. First off, let me say that I was really excited to see this band on their first official tour and even more excited to see them in a such a small venue... Anyways, we arrived at the venue right around 7:00 and were about 30 people back. The Gypsy Tea Room is just a small hole-in-the-wall type place that is hidden and hard to find. I was checking out the floor plan and it was only around 2500 sq. feet and that's with a bar right in the center. Some of the band members from Cinder Road were passing around flyers and stickers, which I got. Next door, in the Ballroom, the Roots were playing so people had no idea which line to line up at, but if you know who The Roots are, then it has to be easy to distinguish the crowd. LOL Anyways, we got into the venue and skipped past the Merch Table as we were going to hit on the way out. We ended up about 8 rows of people back, which when you think about how small the place is, it was really really close. I noticed up on the stage that all I saw was mics, chairs, and acoustic guitars. The stage was extremely small. It was probably 25-30 square feet. When Cinder Road came on, they were performing an all-out Acoustic Set. I thought it was pretty cool and I loved the guys performances. Find their myspace and preview their music. They are actually pretty good! So as they performed their last song, they said Daughtry was next. I was really surprised because their are three bands on tour and all of them perform. Eve to Adam didn't, and at the end of the review, I'll tell ya all about the situation. So, as they were setting up Daughtry's stuff, I noticed that the drum kit didn't change, bass guitars didn't change, and most of the guitars didn't change, and all of those guitars were acoustic. So the boys come out at 10:00 and at that point, candles were lit, beautiful drapes were put up behind the stage, and that was that. I knew right then and there that we were getting something special. All Acoustic Performance.... Not because they necessarily wanted to, but they couldn't fit all of their gear and stuff on the stage due to the size. Which also explains Cinder Roads performance. Eve to Adam didn't perform due the Acoustic situation. They didn't have it written and never performed acoustically. Anyways, Daughty came on and just brought the house down. It was very mellow in a sense, but the crowd was rowdy and loud. The cool thing about the performance was that Chris's vocals weren't brought down because of the acoustic performance. He sang just like an all-out rock concert. He sounded great... He's probably one of the best vocalists I've ever had to chance to see perform. The rest of the boys were pretty awesome too. They didn't capture the attention quite like Chris. One of the cooler moments of the show came when Chris performed a cover of U2's "Sunday Bloody Sunday" all by himself. Before he performed it though when the crowd got quiet, I had to yell.. "You don't need American Idol!". He gave it a pretty good chuckle as he was tuning his guitar. Highlights included Home, Over You, Gone and so on.... But the absolute best moment came when Breakdown was performed. At the ending, Chris stood up, looked over the crowd, and threw his guitar pick into the crowd and it landed a couple rows ahead of me. All of the people were looking for it, but couldn't find it. They finally gave up and I just happened to look down on the floor in front of me and there it was. I picked it up and held it firmly in my hand!!!!!!!!! I have Chris's guitar pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone around me was screaming and wanting it. It was so cool! It's green, says Daughtry on the front, just like the lettering on the front of the album. On the back it has a funny cartoon drawing of his face with his signature right under it. I'll take a picture of it and post it on here. All in all... It was a wonderful night... Excited that I saw an acoustic show, and dissapointed that I didn't get to hear them rock out! Definently go check out their shows. It's a lot of fun... Here's the setlist from what I remember.

Crashed
Used To
Gone
Over You
What I Want
Breakdown
Black (Pearl Jam Cover)
Feels Like Tonight
Home
It's Not Over

Encore:
There and Back Again

Ryan
Tampa Bay Lightning - 2004 Stanley Cup Champions
Philadelphia Soul - 2008 AFL Champions
Oklahoma City Thunder - ????????

Last edited by RyanBounce04; 02-20-2007 at 06:55 PM..

Old 02-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to RyanBounce04 Send a message via MSN to RyanBounce04 Send a message via Yahoo to RyanBounce04

Here's the only really good picture of Chris I got. Shows how small the place was!

Old 02-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Jovi Geek

Front of the Pick... Sorry it's blurry!

Back of the Pick!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Last Man Standing

Wasnt it a bit short??? Glad you enjoyed it anyway, should they make it really big, that will be a gig you'll remember forever for it being so intimate.

They just need to come to the UK now to promote the CD
Old 02-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to Miracle Send a message via MSN to Miracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotica80 View Post
They just need to come to the UK now to promote the CD
And Canada too!!

Glad to hear you had such an awesome time, Ryan. My brother sent me a recording of Sunday Bloody Sunday - very good cover!

A queen upon my barstool throne
I vow to never drink alone,
I only drink with friends or total strangers
Old 02-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Price of posting

I am glad the show was so much fun Ryan. Also happy to hear Chris' vocals were so good, i had read an early review of a show that said he didn't sound so great. Short set but all good songs. Love that Pearl Jam cover in there too! I would love to have heard it. I sooooooooooooo want to go see them!! Thanks for your review and pix and congrats on catching the pick!
Albany, NY 12/12/05. JBJ to me from the stage: "You been a good girl this year?" (Reads my sign) "Jon, It's almost Xmas I've been a very good girl! Play Blood on Blood please!" (cue me on the big screen) JBJ: "How good have you been? Oh My God!" (laughs, more teasing) JBJ: "You want it huh, you want it huh? Blood on Blood just for you, the good girl in the front row? The all request hour, the girl in the front row has just asked for Blood on Blood, ok, Merry Christmas young lady!" Amazing <3