Why didn't Phil play on THINFS?

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 03-21-2017, 01:43 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
The biggest example of the difference between to the two is Evening With. Al's playing of the riff is way sloppier, a much different feel.
Spot on - I guess I have always been more of a fan of Hugh than Alec. He is (and was) by far the better musician.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:28 AM
The Distance

Quote:
The biggest example of the difference between to the two is Evening With. Al's playing of the riff is way sloppier, a much different feel.
I just listened to it and I don't hear anything wrong with it... It sounds exactly the same with the exception of the acoustic sound...
Old 03-21-2017, 03:14 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Agree to disagree I guess. To me and others it sounds like he's accentuating different notes and the way Hugh plays it sounds exactly like on the record. Al's way almost sounds like he's not muting some of the notes and they ring longer then they should.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:33 AM
Blaze of Posting

There's nothing wrong with it per se, but to me the difference is kind of like the difference when the KOS (Bobby) play the bad name riff. It's almost as if it's a half a second too slow and instead of picking the last C note harder all the notes are picked with the same resonance. It's really not that big a difference but it's just a way to know that he wasn't the one who wrote or recorded the bass part...
Old 03-21-2017, 05:16 AM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
There's nothing wrong with it per se, but to me the difference is kind of like the difference when the KOS (Bobby) play the bad name riff. It's almost as if it's a half a second too slow and instead of picking the last C note harder all the notes are picked with the same resonance. It's really not that big a difference but it's just a way to know that he wasn't the one who wrote or recorded the bass part...
YEAH that's more exact than the way I was trying to explain it. He's not wrong, hes playing the right notes but to say it sounds exactly like the record it's easy to hear it's not him. He has a bit of a different attack than Hugh, it's a little more staccato and harder pluck.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:19 AM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Interesting you brought this up. I watched the official version of "Evening..." and KTF mustve been overdubbed by Huge. Then again those leaked rehearsals include rather varied bassline for KTF...

But RDKopper what I meant is that Alec never played the track live the way it was recorded.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:23 AM
These Days

Quote:
YEAH that's more exact than the way I was trying to explain it. He's not wrong, hes playing the right notes but to say it sounds exactly like the record it's easy to hear it's not him. He has a bit of a different attack than Hugh, it's a little more staccato and harder pluck.
Isn't that kinda what rokuli said? I don't know much about bass but to me 'a little more staccato and harder pluck' as well as 'a different feel' sound more like stylistic differences than sloppiness. Or am I missing something?
Old 03-21-2017, 01:56 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
Isn't that kinda what rokuli said? I don't know much about bass but to me 'a little more staccato and harder pluck' as well as 'a different feel' sound more like stylistic differences than sloppiness. Or am I missing something?
I'm in agreement with Rokuli, it's RD's point I don't agree with.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:38 PM
The Distance

Quote:
I'm in agreement with Rokuli, it's RD's point I don't agree with.
I don't really have a point!!! I just can't tell the difference, not being a musician... Some of you are saying that Alec is plucking harder but common sense tells me that's because of the bass he's playing during an acoustic set. Now if you guys are hearing different notes, then that's something I can not comment on...
Old 04-10-2017, 06:39 AM
Suddenly

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
I think Shanks is a better writer who is also a producer and Phil is just a live on tour maniac...

Just like the way they used Huge in the studio and Alec on tour... Let's face it, Huge is not the most exciting member in the band... He was just a session player until Jon had no choice but to fire Alec and bring on Huge... Huge wrote the bass line for KTF... Alec just played it... Same exact situation... Phil is more of a member and John is just helping out IMO...
You can not buy Huey with Alec as well as Phil with Shanks, first I have a good time listening to a lot of Alec's era in show demos, shows with quality SBD ... and I realized that there's enough of a thing to guarantee that he was who Recorded in the studio now A producer who has been producing for a long time with a band and says that Phil has been a staffer as well as says that Alec was not appropriate ..... it is easy to distinguish if Phil recorded or not Like Alec ...