Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Which Bon Jovi album has the weakest solo work?

General BJ Discussion

View Poll Results: Weakest solo work?
Bon Jovi 0 0%
7800 Fahrenheit 0 0%
Crush 0 0%
Bounce 1 4.00%
Have a Nice Day 1 4.00%
Lost Highway 1 4.00%
The Circle 0 0%
What About Now 14 56.00%
This House Is Not For Sale 8 32.00%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2018, 03:01 PM
These Days

Default Which Bon Jovi album has the weakest solo work?

Like the thread title says, which album contains the least impressive display of solo work? It's especially interesting considering a lot of people complain about the way Shanks has brought in the Killers-guitars and the solos are very safe and not really flashy lately. At the same time there are some amazing Richie works over the years.

I for one don't get why people are so desperate to have killer rock solos on everything. A nice melodic solo with a few tones is sometimes all that's needed. I for one think that both WWWU and Walls have great fitting solos while I also agree that Next 100 Years and Right Side of Wrong have great solos for those songs.

My pick has to be Bounce. I think the record is great and I get the idea Richie had to play those pop solos with just a repeated figure with a few notes. At the same time I feel that Right Side of Wrong and Undivided are the only songs with some real solos. A song like Everyday starts out great with those bends but halfway through it starts to feel way to repetitive. Take the Borgata 04 version and compare what he does halfthrough - it just fits the song better to go into shred mode in the middle.

Hook Me Up is another wasted solo opportunity. It starts out nice but carries on way to long with that figure. Take the Toyko 03 performance and compare it. Once again it's interesting that Richie rocked out those solos live but played it so safe in the studio. Especially considering both Everyday and Hook Me Up are heavy songs and a killer solo would suit the songs.

Then we have Joey and All About Loving You. I don't even know if you can consider those sections solo but there are obivously some sort of guitar work that I guess were meant to be seen as solos? I like both the licks but I just don't get why he doesn't try to evolve it into something more.
Then we have The Distance and what a shame it is that Richie didn't get to play a solo over the outro...

Like discussed in the Crush vs Bounce thread, I simply guess that Richie and Jon were influenes by bands were the solos were kept to a minimum or none at all. Because it was obvious when Richie got on stage that he wanted to make more out of the solos on the album.

That's my take it. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy and understand where the band were going but I wish Richie would have made more out of the songs.

What's your pick?

Old 03-06-2018, 04:18 PM
Jovi Freak

Bounce is easily Richie's weakest. THINFS and Burning Bridges however have no memorable solos at all. Shank's leads are technically fine, but sound like random motives. I guess BB is worse than THINFS because Phil's stuff is better and he didn't play on BB at all unless I'm mistaken.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Keep the Faith

my vote goes out to "WAN"

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoergVeselka
BON JOVI 19.06 / 20.06.2010 LONDON O2 ARENA = I´M THERE
Old 03-06-2018, 04:46 PM
Next 100 Posts

Went with THINFS, but also BB was a contender.
With Bounce and even more with HAND I remember being disappointed with the solos. But I don't find them worse than more recent solos. Nowadays it's less emotional, somehow got used to it or more like lowered my expectations.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:54 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

To me as far as great, memorable solos go:

Bounce had Right Side of Wrong
HAND had last Man Standing
Lost Highway didn't have much
The Circle had a few okay ones
WAN had nothing
Burning Bridges had Fingerprints
I adore Living with the Ghost's solo.

But with only one or two solos per album that make me say "I LIKE THAT" being the norm, I gotta go with WAN being the weakest one.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:13 PM
Posting everyday

To me Dirty Little Secret was the last proper Richie solo we got. After that they were all rather a repetition of the song's melody rather than being a real solo.
A few decent ones came after that like the solo of I'm With You, but nothing to write home about besides that.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:35 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
To me Dirty Little Secret was the last proper Richie solo we got. After that they were all rather a repetition of the song's melody rather than being a real solo.
A few decent ones came after that like the solo of I'm With You, but nothing to write home about besides that.
I found Superman Tonight's solo really melodic and tasteful but yeah you're not far off.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:18 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
We Got It Going On solo with talbox is cool
Any Other Day is amazing
Whole Ot of A Leaving is good too.
Lonely
Bullet
I'm With You
Into The Echo, this solo is beautiful
Old 03-06-2018, 06:35 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
Bounce is easily Richie's weakest. THINFS and Burning Bridges however have no memorable solos at all. Shank's leads are technically fine, but sound like random motives. I guess BB is worse than THINFS because Phil's stuff is better and he didn't play on BB at all unless I'm mistaken.
���� Burning Bridges has some of, if not THE best guitar solos and guitar work since These Days: Teardrop, WWYDF and Fingerprints have amazing solos... and I am not at all a Shanks fan.

I would probably say WAN, Bounce is disappointing solo-wise, but has some great guitar work (it’s only my opinion ��).
Crush was extremely disappointing too, coming after TD...
Old 03-06-2018, 06:49 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Send a message via MSN to jon-flp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Lost Highway didn't have much
Any Other Day is the best Richie's work in the last 20 years.

And we could include Walk Like a Man, that has a wonderful guitar work.