Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

So I saw Def Leppard the other night......

Other Bands

Old 10-28-2011, 04:22 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 1986 View Post
Yea it's quite sad how they've already disowned Sparkle Lounge after just 3 years.
I don't think it's specific to that album. They almost disown the album they're touring for, at least since Euphoria forwards.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:15 AM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvi View Post
The only rotations that are being made on the Mirrorball tour are Make Love Like a Man, Let It Go and Gods of War.
I had no idea they were playing Gods of War, which I'd certainly want to hear if I did go see them (I'm sure I'd get Make Love Like A Man, which would send me for beer... let me review that setlist again..... yup.. that's a lot of beer runs.)
Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 AM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxannah View Post
it's astonishing how there isn't a single song off Slang or Euphoria, to say the least. i don't like Promises all that much, but if i remember correctly it did alright.

the only justification i find for a setlist like this is they aren't touring a studio album at the moment. i guess this song selection is a consequence of the awful selection of songs on Mirrorball (although they could still have played one of the three Sparkle Lounge songs and didn't).
I wish I could say that is their excuse, but it isn't. On my Sparkle Lounge tourdate that I saw here in Southern Cali.. the only new song we got was Nine Lives, a song I refuse to acknowledge is in existence. The rest was the same drivel as on this tour with Mirror, Mirror being the only exception (which was nice to hear since I love that song, but honestly.. it didn't go over well and it didn't rock my world either for some reason.)
Old 10-28-2011, 11:52 AM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
I don't think it's specific to that album. They almost disown the album they're touring for, at least since Euphoria forwards.
FUKK, what I wouldn't give to actually go back to the days of Euphoria and X for the fact that they were playing at least 4 songs from those albums. Euphoria got Demolition Man, Promises, Paper Sun, and Goodbye regularly with 21st Century Girl here and there later on. X had Now, You're So Beautiful, Four Letter Word, and Long Long Way to Go <gag>.

At the time, it bothered me because when Pyromania was brand new... well the short way to put it is they didn't play Die Hard, Action, Comin Under Fire, and Too Late, while the rest of the album was played every night. Then Hysteria comes along and Women, Animal, Sugar, Armageddon It, Gods of War, and Hysteria all become staples as well as stepping back to Pyromania to give Too Late and Die Hard their due. Then on to Adrenalize which saw Let's Get Rocked, Tear It Down, White Lightening, Have You Ever, and Make Love Like A Man.. while throwing in Two Steps Behind and again, stepping back to the previous album to make Rocket and Love Bites set staples.

They were covering the bases back then. That was the kind of approach I needed from my bands. At the time it was just a matter of playing the new album live. When they toured for Hysteria and it was still struggling to take off sales-wise, they didn't just play a set heavy on Pyromania while playing Animal, which is exactly what they would do today.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist View Post
I had no idea they were playing Gods of War, which I'd certainly want to hear if I did go see them (I'm sure I'd get Make Love Like A Man, which would send me for beer... let me review that setlist again..... yup.. that's a lot of beer runs.)
Yeah I was surprised when I saw Gods of War pop up a few times in setlists as well. The lack of song rotation is pretty terrible though.

Setlist.fm (although incomplete and not 100% accurate) gives a good estimate on how many times a song has been played over the tour (only showing the shows that people have uploaded the setlists themselves).

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/def-lepp...ur=Mirror+Ball

Make Love Like a Man, Gods of War and Let It Go are the songs in rotation, with Action (the Sweet cover, not their song), When Love and Hate Collide, Wasted and Cmon Cmon being extreme rarities.

Perth - January 25, 2008
Perth - December 8, 2010
Sydney - December 17, 2010
Sydney - December 19, 2010 (I Believe!!!)

East Rutherford - July 25, 2013
Melbourne - December 7, 2013
Melbourne - December 8, 2013
Perth - December 12, 2013

Sydney - December 8, 2018
Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Jovi Freak

I also went to the Def Leppard show in 2008. The setlist difference is minimal...

2011 Perth Setlist
1. Undefeated
2. Let's Get Rocked
3. Animal
4. Foolin'
5. Let It Go
6. Make Love Like a Man
7. Love Bites
8. Rock On (David Essex cover)
9. Rocket
10. Two Steps Behind
11. Bringin' on the Heartbreak
12. Switch 625
13. Hysteria
14. Armageddon It
15. Photograph
16. Pour Some Sugar on Me

Encore:
17. Rock of Ages

2008 Perth Setlist
1. Rocket
2. Animal
3. C'mon C'mon
4. Foolin'
5. Make Love Like a Man
6. Nine Lives
7. Love Bites
8. Two Steps Behind
9. Bringin' on the Heartbreak
10. Switch 625
11. Hysteria
12. Armageddon It
13. Photograph
14. Pour Some Sugar on Me
15. Rock of Ages

Encore:
16. Bad Actress
17. Let's Get Rocked

I do love this band but they really need to switch things up a bit regarding the setlist. Having said that, they are a great live band.

Perth - January 25, 2008
Perth - December 8, 2010

Old 10-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

you got Foolin' ... twice! i hate you i got the same 3 Sparkle Lounge songs:

Manchester 2008

01. Rocket
02. C'mon C'mon
03. Animal
04. Nine Lives
05. Make Love Like A Man
06. When Love & Hate Collide
07. Bass Solo
08. Rock On
09. Two Steps Behind
10. Bringin' On The Heartbreak
11. Hysteria
12. Armageddon It
13. Photograph
14. Pour Some Sugar On Me
15. Rock Of Ages
Encore:
16. Bad Actress
17. Let's Get Rocked

C'mon C'mon went down really well. i don't mind Nine Lives or Bad Actress, but i'd rather have Go, which i reckon would be a great opener, Cruise Control, that has a very Slang feel to it and/or Gotta Let It Go. again, no songs off Slang, Euphoria or X. Mirrorball hasn't got a single track off these 3 albums either. sounds like a plan to write them off their career. whatever i think of Promises or Slang (the song), they should've made it to Mirrorball and should be staples. and i agree with you guys, Gods Of War would be totally epic.

looks like they're going down the "nostalgia band" road, which is something that really puts me off. they're so much better than that. i'd still go see them though. i still love them and they put on a fantastic show. if they toured Portugal again that is, which they don't since 1996. they're not touring Spain either and UK's shows are in December, which sadly makes it impossible for me to go.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

I was ecstatic when they played Wasted at Download this year. I also got Foolin', Let it Go, Love Bites and Switch 625. apart from LiG, the others I'd never heard the previous 2 gigs I've been to. I got Promises in 2006 though.

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Jovi Freak

Aw man! Women, Slang, Rock Rock (Til You Drop), When Love & Hate Collide and Gods of War have all become staples in the setlist for the Japan shows! Unfair!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/def-le...-4bd1976a.html

Plus in the final Tokyo show they played Another Hit & Run, High & Dry and Wasted.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/def-le...-43d18ff3.html

Perth - January 25, 2008
Perth - December 8, 2010

Old 11-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Women was my favourite Lepp song for a looong time and i love seeing Gods of War as a staple and Wasted in the set.

i've been crying and crying for months now that i'm not going to any shows. i still had to try and make it happen somehow and i found a way! so i'm going to Manchester's show on the 11th but i'm flying from/to a city 4 hours away from Lisbon (flights from Lisbon were super expensive) and i have to be in Lisbon the day after as i'm going to another show. it's a bit crazy and it's going to be logistically challenging, also because i still haven't got a clue when i'm going to sleep, but it's all good now they better give me Foolin' and Gods of War for sure, and if i had Women, so to speak, it would be amazing.

Tags
def leppard, live