Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2020, 07:42 AM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic
Default Rate: Do What You Can

Aloha !

I give it a 6.

Like with any Bon Jovi song the production and vocals are stopping me from listening to this stuff. Somewhere there's a great song in there but it's just been recorded by the wrong artist. Despite all the studio tricks Jon still sounds out of breath and because he can't keep up it's almost as if they've recorded the vocals line for line. His breathing is off, at times he's still breathing out and then the next line starts and it makes it really hard to listen to, you're constantly wondering when he'll pass out and he does suck the life out of the verses, really. Add to that how the drums just don't fit the rest of the arrangement and you end up with this really weird miss mash of things.

The song is very catchy though, easily one of the catchiest stuff written in years but the words in the chorus are dreadful. Most of the verses are great but it's as if Jon just didn't know what to do with the melody in the chorus. "This ain't my prayer it's just a thought I'm wanting to send" is so bad it makes me want to skip the song. You can't sing along to it either.

As for the rest; Either the bass is horribly mixed or it's just someone putting a really simplistic bassline there because it needs to have some bass notes. There's no melody in the bassline which is causing me to think it's not Hugh McDonald playing on this track. Drums could've been recorded by anyone, really and guitars are irrelevant. It's a sad thought a band who could once deliver any rock song with great passion now struggles to record a simplistic song like this. Most of the issues mentioned above won't be noticed by 99% of the audience still listening to new Bon Jovi songs though but what could be a fun little rock & roll songs now sounds like this robotic manufactured product with little soul in it.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Last edited by Supersonic; 07-23-2020 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-23-2020, 08:06 AM
Jovi Freak

Nice lyric, meh melody, no guitar solo. Again.
Yeah, better than the acoustic version but I still don't like it. Yet, it's better than Unbroken and American Reckoning...
So 5/10.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:08 AM
Blaze of Posting

I think I disagree with almost everything you posted except the catchy part. For me it's an 8, I'm usually pretty generous with my scores but they rarely change, I love the groove of the song and the energy and optimism it gives out. I love that line you singled out, it works he's not preaching he just a songwriter sharing his thoughts. Simple bass lines don't bother me much, but maybe I need a few more listens before I start to nitpick stuff out that could be better
Old 07-23-2020, 08:49 AM
Keep the Faith

"drum's could've been played by anyone" is generous. It's so simplistic I'm convinced it's just a basic loop not even a drum machine. I think Jon's done this on his laptop and either him or Shanks has just thrown it against the wall as an attempt at mastering.

Milton Keynes 1 (HAND), Manchester & Bristol (LH), Dublin 2 (2011), Dublin 2 (THINFS)
Old 07-23-2020, 09:20 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
''....and guitars are irrelevant. It's a sad thought a band who could once deliver any rock song with great passion now struggles to record a simplistic song like this. ....what could be a fun little rock & roll songs now sounds like this robotic manufactured product with little soul in it.
This sums it up pretty well,
a good song(nothing special)destroyed by an awful production and uninspired guitar work again...fourth song without a guitar solo!!!

Last edited by angelsambo; 07-23-2020 at 10:55 PM..
Old 07-23-2020, 09:50 AM
Jovi FANatic

6/10 for me.

The song is catchy, I like the lyrics and even the chorus. But it screams the need for a solo. The middle breakdown needed a rock solo from Phil, would build up the song.

Apart from that, I don't like the production and mixing, the sounds are a bit weird. The bass and drums sound weak and generic. This song deserved more.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:21 AM
Price of posting

4/10

This could’ve been a very good song but the horrible drum machine, twangy shanks guitar and Jon’s auto tuned voice ruin it.

Some lyrics are really good and it’s a song that everyone can relate to as everyone has been through COVID but the song feels empty to me as the drum machine and lack of prominent bass gives no feeling and depth to the song.

But unfortunately it’s another song for the above reasons in my first paragraph I won’t be buying - that’s 4 from 4 now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 07-23-2020, 12:59 PM
Posting everyday

5/10

Catchy, lyrics are decent, but the production once again kills it. As others stated, it sounds so much like the most simple drum loops and a someone learning how to program a bass line that has no melody.

The guitar sounds so much like some tune from a 90's sitcom or movie to me. Can't put my finger on which one though...
Old 07-23-2020, 01:10 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Gave it a 6,which is the same as I gave American Reckoning I think. I like it, it's catchy, upbeat, with some reasonable vocals. Agree that the production is crap, everything sounds compressed, and I'd prefer someone other than Jon doing the harmonies in the chorus, but overall I like it.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:03 PM
Jovi FANatic

I give it an 8 because I love the lyrics and it is catchy, plus it is a great surprise at my birthday.