Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Def Leppard - Mirrorball

Other Bands

Old 04-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvi View Post
Just wanted to add my sentiments that Promises is a brilliant song.
Correct. It's one of their best.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomamasofat View Post
Correct. It's one of their best.
I think so too, itīs a very good Leppard song with a chorus that may be their best.

Anyway, despite of the obvious drawbacks, itīs great to get the live album.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:51 AM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

They were on Jay Leno last night.... performing "Sugar." *sigh*

What really sucks is they looked and sounded great. I kept think how some kid who has heard of them might otherwise be captivated... but that wasn't the song to do, hit single or not. I'm not sure what the answer is since what I have heard so far of the new songs, I'm really not liking them.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Do you think they like QUEEN?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambos apprentice View Post
Do you think they like QUEEN?
Hmm, are you being sarcastic or genuinely asking?

They are huge Queen fans and they've cited them as the reason for their backing vocals.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Jovi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist View Post
They were on Jay Leno last night.... performing "Sugar." *sigh*

What really sucks is they looked and sounded great. I kept think how some kid who has heard of them might otherwise be captivated... but that wasn't the song to do, hit single or not. I'm not sure what the answer is since what I have heard so far of the new songs, I'm really not liking them.
Shoot I meant to catch them and forgot. I have to agree why oh why do Sugar for the millionith and one time espeically when they do have some new stuff out.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:31 PM
These Days

In response to earlier posts, i think Promises comes an extremely close second to Tomorrow in my favourite post Viv joining songs, both amazing songs in my opinion.

With regard to Mirrorball, I'm really excited to hear the live stuff, as for the new studio songs, I really like Undefeated but Kings of the World is absolutely godawful, utter tripe, i couldn't listen to it (and i'm a huge fan).

I actually met Joe Elliot about 2 or 3 weeks ago and had a fairly long chat with him (mainly about how shite Sheffield United are) nice chap!
24.06.2011 - LCCC, MANCHESTER
25.06.2011 - HYDE PARK, LONDON
16.10.2012 - RICHIE - SHEPHERD'S BUSH, LONDON
0̶8̶.̶0̶6̶.̶2̶0̶1̶3̶ ̶-̶ ̶E̶T̶I̶H̶A̶D̶ ̶S̶T̶A̶D̶I̶U̶M̶,̶ ̶M̶A̶N̶C̶H̶E̶S̶T̶E̶R̶
05.07.2013 - HYDE PARK, LONDON
Old 05-13-2011, 03:33 AM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK View Post

I actually met Joe Elliot about 2 or 3 weeks ago and had a fairly long chat with him (mainly about how shite Sheffield United are) nice chap!
I'd tell him to listen to High 'n' Dry entirely for two consecutive weeks, and maybe he'll write a good damn song again.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

i actually like the new 3 songs especially Undefeated and Kings Of The New World. they sound current while the band still stays true to their sound. they can't really release High'n'Dry in 2011 or be stuck in the 80's if they want to attract a new younger audience. which i'm not sure that's what they are aiming for if they played Sugar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist View Post
it sucks that they put three songs from Sparkle Lounge, none from On Through the Night (not such a big deal since they have understandably barely touched it since the Pyromania tour,) none from Slang, none from Euphoria, and none from X.
this is what i don't get. Slang is such a defining moment in their career, an album that shows their versatility as songwritters and if nothing else it would be interesting to include a song from an album that represented a change in their sound. they are my 2nd favourite band after Bon Jovi so i'm a big fan of the classic albums. But i consider Slang their masterpiece if there is to be one. i remember all the fuss surrounding its release and how long it took me to get into it. 6 months or more on a shelf getting dusty cause i hated it upon first listen. but when i picked it up again, i never looked back. i truly think it's one of their best albums and it's a shame there isn't a single song off of it.

that said it doesn't bother me much, i'm not a fan of live albums. the only live album i listen to on a regular basis is Whitesnake's "Starkers in Tokyo" and i love it probably because it's an acoustic one.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:49 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie79 View Post
i actually like the new 3 songs especially Undefeated and Kings Of The New World. they sound current while the band still stays true to their sound. they can't really release High'n'Dry in 2011 or be stuck in the 80's if they want to attract a new younger audience. which i'm not sure that's what they are aiming for if they played Sugar...

this is what i don't get. Slang is such a defining moment in their career, an album that shows their versatility as songwritters and if nothing else it would be interesting to include a song from an album that represented a change in their sound. they are my 2nd favourite band after Bon Jovi so i'm a big fan of the classic albums. But i consider Slang their masterpiece if there is to be one. i remember all the fuss surrounding its release and how long it took me to get into it. 6 months or more on a shelf getting dusty cause i hated it upon first listen. but when i picked it up again, i never looked back. i truly think it's one of their best albums and it's a shame there isn't a single song off of it.

that said it doesn't bother me much, i'm not a fan of live albums. the only live album i listen to on a regular basis is Whitesnake's "Starkers in Tokyo" and i love it probably because it's an acoustic one.
I wonder if they are truly clear on what happens when they do an appearance like that and they play "Sugar?" All it does is underwhelm their fans and solidify the idea that Def Leppard are firmly cemented as an 80's hair band with everyone else. It's one thing to play it as part of a live show, but the effect is very different when it's the only song on a broadcast like that.

They played Lopez Tonight last night. I have yet to watch it, but I know they played Rock of Ages. That is probably just as bad as "Sugar" though I'd pick it over the latter. It's not that I hate either song, the life has been sucked out of them due to overplay. However, they should be choosing a song that lyrically can appeal to today and not make them look like old men living in the past. It's no different than playing "Wasted," and they avoid that one for that exact reason.. it doesn't represent them at all anymore.

If I had to pick one of the old staples, I'd probably go with Photograph or Foolin' because they both hold up lyrically today and are more timeless.

I loved Slang right off. It was actually exactly what I was hoping from them... something fresh that demonstrated their maturity and abilities as a band. The title track was really the only one they would even consider putting on the live album and they couldn't even do that. In another dimension, Adrenalize never saw the light of day, Desert Song was the first single on their come-back post-Steve and prevented their being permanently associated with a trend, and Slang was a critical success.

Starkers is great, btw. I went through a heavy Whitesnake re-discovery period in the late 90's and that album was part of it along with the back catalog prior to Slide It In. The perfect antidote after the horrible Slip of the Tongue period.

Tags
2011, def leppard, live, mirror ball – live & more, undefeated