Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Official Youtube.com Thread

General BJ Discussion

Old 01-14-2022, 10:11 PM
Something for the Posts

Thumbs down

That's ridiculous - Phil is there to entertain the audience and that's exactly what he was doing. Take attention away from the band? What is that supposed to mean? Sometimes I just don't get Jon. Surely he wants the whole band to put on a show? Bizarre...
Old 01-14-2022, 10:22 PM
Posting everyday

Jon's cracking 'cause all the attention is now focussed on him and once other bad members do something entertaining, they get restricted. No surprise that it feels like corporate gigs of bank employees who get together after work these days.

I mean it's not like Phil ran out into the arena and bursted into a 10-minute solo improvisation
Old 01-14-2022, 10:41 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Jon's cracking 'cause all the attention is now focussed on him and once other bad members do something entertaining, they get restricted. No surprise that it feels like corporate gigs of bank employees who get together after work these days.

I mean it's not like Phil ran out into the arena and bursted into a 10-minute solo improvisation
Well, remember these shows at the time were in 2011 when Phil was just subbing for Richie on that limited run of dates from april till may. You don't want a substitute guitar player to suddenly try and outshine your real player, not in skill or showmanship. If he were to do that today, I don't think there would be a problem....
Old 01-15-2022, 01:43 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
Well, remember these shows at the time were in 2011 when Phil was just subbing for Richie on that limited run of dates from april till may. You don't want a substitute guitar player to suddenly try and outshine your real player, not in skill or showmanship. If he were to do that today, I don't think there would be a problem....
Leaning towards this. Phil was much better received at this period because he was covering for a coming-back-soon Richie with the band's full support behind him. If his temporary replacement is showboating a little, it's not something he'd earned the right to do since his job was to hang in the shadows a bit and keep the show moving.

But on the opposite side, holy crap did did it look cool.
Old 01-15-2022, 02:26 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post

But on the opposite side, holy crap did did it look cool.
This move is a patented Springsteen move. Bruce has been doing it since the 70s. At a show - when the guitar started swinging around his neck - you knew there was more of an encore.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:49 PM
Something for the Posts

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
Yeah ok, I kinda get that, but still..it's not like Phil was going out left of field with something. It just lasted a second, during one of his solos, got a good reaction, you'd think that would make Jon happy.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:52 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
Yeah ok, I kinda get that, but still..it's not like Phil was going out left of field with something. It just lasted a second, during one of his solos, got a good reaction, you'd think that would make Jon happy.
100% agree. And besides that, when they hired Phil one should assume that they knew what kind of player he is.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:22 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
100% agree. And besides that, when they hired Phil one should assume that they knew what kind of player he is.
I just think Jon's very particular about the bands image and I kinda get it. It's a staged show. From sets lists, to speeches, to where the guys stand.

Sure it was small improv and it worked but it wasn't discussed. Jon's a perfectionist and it's his show.

Maybe it was too 80s or acrobatic for the bands image. I'm sure if Everett did a random back-flip, the crowd would eat that up too but it's not what Bon Jovi are about.

I'm actually on Jon's side with this one.

Now with that said, that was freaking awesome. Phil clearly improvised the solo and turned it into something bad ass. That could have been discussed afterwards and kept in as part of Phil's little signature piece... but it was also a different time.

Phil was just a temporary guy while Richie was in rehab. If it happened now, Jon might allow it however I think Phil gets who Jon is and is probably over it...

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rdkopper; 01-17-2022 at 06:25 AM..
Old 01-15-2022, 06:37 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Had the 2016-onwards period been Phil and Matt O'Ree I would have loved to see more of this energy..
Old 01-15-2022, 11:09 PM
Livin' on a Post

Jon needs to loosen up if that's the kinda' thing that bothers him. Besides, what's actually cringey is some of those 'uncle at a wedding' dance moves of his.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

@JayChapperz