Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Don't Believe The Truth: What is The Truth?

Other Bands

Old 05-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Default Don't Believe The Truth: What is The Truth?

Right I just got through listening to Oasis' new one for the second time and I am so dissapointed by it . I was expecting so much from this album, fans and critics alike were both saying how this was the best thing since What's The Story......, completely BS in my opinion.

There's only one song I really like on it and that's Lyla. There's a couple other half-decent songs like The Importance of Being Idle, Guess God Thinks I'm Able, Part of The Queue and Loves Like a Bomb but none of them, not even Lyla can hold a candle to anything they did on WTSMG.

Lyrically it's pretty damn good but the music is boring, there's no great melodies and it's all too lazy and uninspired. I can't think of one great rock songs, bar Lyla, and there's certainly no Noel-sung-classic in the vain of Little By Little, Master Plan or Talk Tonight.

Then there's Liam's voice . Man I've never been the biggest fan of his, always more of a Noel fan, and he's certainly gotten worse over the years but there are some songs here where it's just painful to listen too. "The best Oasis album to date"? I'd say it's the worst. What'da think of it?

Phil

Old 05-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Last Man Standing

Yup I agree with 90% of that

After hearing Lyla I was really optimistic about this CD but my expectations havnt been met not even close. The only memorable songs for me are, Lyla, a bell will ring, Let there be love and possibly Turn up the sun. I cant even really see where a successful 2nd single will come from

Have to disagree about Liams voice though I think its sounding better than ever these days. Also heard a bootleg from the club shows and it did sound pretty good.

The sooner Noal takes back all ownership of writing the better.[/list]
Old 05-30-2005, 08:27 PM
Price of posting

Send a message via MSN to Alex

I really like it. It's defninitely not a WTSMG, but still a pretty decent album. I really like Part Of The Queue, The Importance of Being Idle, A Bell Will Ring and I adore Let There Be Love. Mucky Fingers however..

Oh, and twisted thoughts that spin round my head
I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning
Old 05-30-2005, 08:35 PM
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Mucky Fingers however..
I echo that!!!!
Old 05-30-2005, 10:49 PM
Livin' on a Post

Send a message via Yahoo to joviangel92

I just love this album.....I got it last Wednesday when I was in london & couldnīt stop listening to it since....

I donīt see how people can compare it with DM & MG because itīs completely different, but this new sound which still sounds very Oasis like is what i love. For me itīs def. the best album of this year.

My rating so far:

Turn up the sun 8/10
Mucky Fingers 06/10 (getting better the more I listen to it...)
Lyla 9/10
Love like a bomb 8/10
The Importance of being idle 06/10
Meaning of soul 9/10 (live 10/10)
Guess God thinks Iīm Abel 10/10 (best song on this album for me)
Part of the Queue 9,5/10
Keep the dream alive 10/10
A Bell will ring 10/10 (even better than I expect - really donīt get why the press critizised it that bad )
Let there be Love 10/10
I can see it now 10/10
Old 05-31-2005, 05:55 PM
Crush

Send a message via MSN to Jim Bon Jovi

the problem is that every time oasis bring something new out people expect a new morning glory and it's never going to happen, it's pretty much as close to perfection as they'll ever get and even noel has said he'll never write anything better.

in turn what happens is they release good albums but still get grief because they aren't as good as morning glory or definetely maybe. Think about heathen chemistry, bands would kill to have a couple of songs like little by little and stop crying your heart out in their full lifetime, oasis can whack a bundle of them on one record and it still gets over-looked because it isn't as classic as don't look back in anger or wonderwall.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:15 PM
Livin' on a Post

Send a message via Yahoo to joviangel92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bon Jovi
the problem is that every time oasis bring something new out people expect a new morning glory and it's never going to happen, it's pretty much as close to perfection as they'll ever get and even noel has said he'll never write anything better.
Yes, thatīs right But take whatever big band & youīll see the same phenomenom....

BJ f.e. - everybody wants another Keep the Faith or NJ or TD
Old 06-01-2005, 01:37 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

That's very true Jim and it's pity. From my perspective though I didn't expect to get something like Morning Glory but there's no reason why they can't write 10 or 11 superb songs. Bon Jovi could never do slippery again but they did better albums in KFT, TD and Bounce. It's all relative, however I think I was guilty of expecting too much from this one and I was always setting myself up to fall. I listened to it today a few more times and it's starting to grow on me, it's still got it's problems but I think I was to harsh on it at first.

Track by Track:

Turn up The Sun: 3/5. Not a bad little rock tune.
Mucky Fingers: 2/5. Still don't think it's great but it's grown on me since I heard it live.
Lyla: 4.5/5. Kick ass song
Love Like a Bomb: 3/5.
The Importance of being Idle: 5/5. Really grown on me and I love Noel falsetto voice.
The Meaning of Soul. 2/5. Meh! Sort of nothing'ish
Guess God Thinks I'm Abel: 4.5/5. Great song this one, even better live.
Part of The Queue: 5/5. Another one that's grown on me alot.
Keep The Dream Alive: 1/5. Rubbish and a bad vocal from Liam
A Beel Will Ring: 2/5. Not much better. Surely Noel could've written 2 better tracks then these.
Let There Be Love: 3.5/5. It's no Aquiesce but it's a good enough duet. I would've liked to have heard more of Noel.

So I guess overall, it's pretty good. Better then Standing on The Shoulders of Giants anyway. The production is pretty sh*t. Had they a decent producer then who knows.

Sorry just got to say that I watched that MTV Oasis Live in Milan thing last night and Liam sounded fantastic, best I've heard him in ages. Bad set-list though.

Phil
Old 06-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Crush

Send a message via MSN to Jim Bon Jovi

I'm inclined to believe the production was supposed to be scuzzy.

Oasis have never really done excellent pristine production and from what i've heard and seen of this album, it's their rawest yet and it's pretty much deliberate.

on one of the tunes they had a box of cornflakes on top of the snare to give it a "really percusive like Elvis drum sound" so they were going for a dirty cheap sounding vibe.

the irony being that it would be nothing but cheap to do that.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

I agree, probably their weakest album yet.

I wasn't blown away by Lyla so I didn't really have high hopes for this album anyway. Mind you I've only listened to it once so maybe it'll grow on me....if I bring myself to ever play it again.