Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

GH Vinyl... Does it worth?

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 12-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Jovi Addict

Default GH Vinyl... Does it worth?

I'm thinking about buying the GH in Vinyl. Does anybody have it? Does it worth? Do the songs sound great, because of the high quality?

Old 12-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

wow..i could spend the whole day here talking about the advantages of vinyl. if it was properly mastered to Vinyl, its dynamic range should be broader and more pleasant actually. if you have a good record player and good speakers, i'd say yeah go for it !

Lisbon 2008; Lisbon 2011
Old 12-07-2010, 05:13 PM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseDaysEra View Post
the advantages of vinyl. if it was properly mastered to Vinyl, its dynamic range should be broader and more pleasant actually.
Vinyl isn't better than a CD, it's technically impossible. It's one of those myths vinyl-philes and wanna-be-hifi-experts want you to believe.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....e=Myths_(Vinyl)

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Crush

Send a message via MSN to Jim Bon Jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Vinyl isn't better than a CD, it's technically impossible. It's one of those myths vinyl-philes and wanna-be-hifi-experts want you to believe.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....e=Myths_(Vinyl)

Ice
I always assumed the bone of contention was about the "warmth" you get with vinyl rather than any ideas of technical advantages.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:38 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bon Jovi View Post
I always assumed the bone of contention was about the "warmth" you get with vinyl rather than any ideas of technical advantages.
That is a matter of personal preference. But if you speak about dynamic range or such technical things, CD wins in every category.

Ice

Old 12-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Friends will be friends
Bounce

It's only a shame SACD didn't take off because THAT wins over every other format, without a doubt.

Sadly it seems that despite wanting higher and higher quality TV, people want lower and lower quality music, just so that they can fit 1,000,000 songs in their pocket.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

The beauty of CDs when they first came out was because they had room for more dynamic range than vinyl, but it got more and more abused as the years went on by record companies boost the volume of CDs louder and louder sacrificing the dynamics in the process. From what I've seen and heard recently, vinyl hasn't become a victim of that which is why I guess people opt for that rather than cd these days.

Vinyl is technically not "better" than cd, it's just CDs are poorly mastered these days.

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:07 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

I'm sorry all, don't mean to sound smart or anything but a well mastered Vinyl IS better than CD. I'm a recording engineer and there are some facts you should probably know.

Most commercial music nowadays is either recorded digitally or using the best of both world (that is, using both analog and digital means). by recording digitally I don't mean your avarage audio interface. I'm talking about high priced A/D converters (Analogue to digital). Bon Jovi make use of an SSL analgoue mixer which then goes into the converters and into Pro Tools. I assume their sessions, being the band they are, are recorded at a sample rate of 192kHz, 24 bit. After the mix is done and that final mix is mastered by a mastering engineer, it always has to end up at a maximum sample rate of 44.1kHz/16bit, which is the standard for CD. in this conversion, something called Dither is used to prevent data being loss in the downgrade of quality. As with vinyl, there is no need for such downgrade of the quality as the medium it uses is not digital.

Don't get me wrong, vinyl DOES have its limitations but assuming that the mastering is done by a decent engineer in a decent mastering studio, CD is NOWHERE better than Vinyl, so keep your wikis in your pocket.

Lisbon 2008; Lisbon 2011
Old 12-09-2010, 08:16 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseDaysEra View Post
I'm sorry all, don't mean to sound smart or anything but a well mastered Vinyl IS better than CD. I'm a recording engineer and there are some facts you should probably know.
Yeah, you should know better.

Quote:
After the mix is done and that final mix is mastered by a mastering engineer, it always has to end up at a maximum sample rate of 44.1kHz/16bit, which is the standard for CD. in this conversion, something called Dither is used to prevent data being loss in the downgrade of quality. As with vinyl, there is no need for such downgrade of the quality as the medium it uses is not digital.
The trouble is that the VINYL isn't capable of saving the information. It's just not possible with vinyl, because there isn't enough "finesse" or what ever you want to call it in the material itself. It's capable of saving the information at the better quality, no matter what you try. And each and every time you listen to the record, the needle of the player scratches away bits and pieces of the vinyl so it degrades constantly. Not that it was ever as good as the CD to begin with.

Just read the article I posted, it has a very detailed test and review of both vinyl and CD.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, vinyl DOES have its limitations but assuming that the mastering is done by a decent engineer in a decent mastering studio, CD is NOWHERE better than Vinyl, so keep your wikis in your pocket.
It's basic physics. Vinyl is mechanical, CD is digital. CD has it's limitations as well, but it's well documented that the human ear can't hear that well, so it doesn't really matter. As to vinyl, the material, the way the soundwave is saved onto it and the way it's played makes it impossible for vinyl to ever be technically as good as a CD.

The sound a vinyl makes is a different thing, that is a matter of personal preference. Some like the "warmer" sound and the cracks and pops which every vinyl album will make when played back. No matter how good your equipment is. Again, it's just physics.

Ice

Old 12-09-2010, 08:30 AM
The Distance

Here is a good explanation why vinyl can never be as good as a CD:
http://everything2.com/user/hardly/w...s/CD+vs.+vinyl

Ice

Tags
loudness war, vinyl