Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Velvet Revolver live?

Other Bands

Old 03-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Well, you'd better go see them, since Weiland apparently announced during yesterday's gig that this tour will be VR's last tour. Ever.
And there was me reading last week that VR are already working on a new album. Ah well.

I'd def go and see them for Slahs and Duff if nothing else. I've seen them twice (both in Cardiff), and that's what persuaded me the first time. The first show I went to was awesome. The second was...so/so. I thought they were terrible on Live8 aswell, so you can safely say they're hit and miss live. Not just Scott, but in general. I'm not exactly a fan of his voice anyway.

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:00 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2k86 View Post
And there was me reading last week that VR are already working on a new album. Ah well.
Matt already anounced that it was "just" Weiland feeling shit that night.

Hey all you great Fans,
So lastnight was interesting. Had a little band termoil on stage as you probably all could tell. Being in a band is a lot like being in a relationship. Sometimes you just don’t get along. I guess there has been more termoil lately I guess with the cancellations and all. It has been frustrating I am not going to lie. My career and life in Rock n Roll has come with its ups and downs. Unfortunatly some people in this business Don’t relize how great of a life they have. Touring the world, meeting great people and fans all over the world. And just playing music for a living. I feel truly blessed. But sometimes the road can be draining for some, being away from home and family Does grind on you sometimes. With all the travelling And different beds. Personally I Love this Shit and sometimes can’t believe I am so lucky to still be doing what I do for a living. Everybody could see who was unhappy lastnight but all I can say is Let’s keep the Rock alive people!!!! In this life u just pick up and keep moving. And don’t ever let anybody stand in your way. The TRUTH Rock On!!!!!! Matt Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

That said, I wouldn't mind it if Weiland would just **** off and Velvet Revolver would find someone reliable. The thing is, they had a hard time finding a lead singer in the first place, so I'm not sure what they would do if Weiland indeed would go his own way (and would end up dead somewhere).

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 03-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Keep the Faith

Send a message via MSN to JerseyboyUK

IMO, Velvet Revolver are hit & miss in every way.

I've seen them 4 times,

Manchester Appollo - fantastic
Birmingham NIA - Ok
Download Festival 06 - rubbish
Download Festival 08 - really poor

The problem i have with VR is the anount of covers they play in thier set.
Take last years Download set, they were on for under an hour and played 5 covers - Sex Type Thing (STP), Vasoline (STP), It's So Easy (GnR), Mr Brownstone (GnR), and Psycho Killer (Talking Heads). They also sometimes drop in Patience (GnR), Crackerman (STP), Interstate Love Song (STP) and Negative Creep (Nirvana).

This for me is out of order!

They have plenty of thier own tunes that weren't played that could have taken them slots (eg. Dirty Little Thing, Illegal I Song, You Got No Right etc etc), and the likes of Sex Type Thing, Mr Brownstone, and Its So Easy have been played to death pretty much from when VR first started out! Why oh why do they keep playing them?!

For a band that doesn't like being labelled a 'supergroup', i expected them to put much more emphasis on thier own material when playing live.

And for the record, i like Scott. Whilst he hasn't got the greatest voice in rock he sure does play with more enthusiasm than the rest of them. Yes, maybe has got something to prove and maybe he doesn't have the legacy and pulling power that Duff & Slash have, but he works his ass off onstage for that band way more than the other guys.

Last edited by JerseyboyUK; 03-21-2008 at 08:43 PM..
Old 03-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Next 100 Posts

STP has reunited for a tour this summer. Is this just a summer thing or a full fledged reunion and they just haven`t officially announced VR`s demise
Old 03-22-2008, 02:14 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

Wasn't Sebastian Bach considered originally to be the lead singer for VR, but they turned him down cause he would make them sound too much like Skid Row?

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:22 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

They're history, or at least Weiland will leave them. Here's his "statement":

"Well, first of all, the state of my family affairs is really none of his business, since he is too immature to have a real relationship, let alone children. So don't attempt to stand in a man's shoes when you haven't walked his path. Secondly, 'keeping rock 'n' roll alive?' I've made many attempts to remain cordial with the members of VR, but mainly, the likes of you. Funny though — this is your FIRST band, as opposed to being a hired gun. I've been making records (now on my ninth), which have sold over 35 million copies worldwide and have maintained a level of professionalism regardless of how many drugs I've ingested into my system. I have only cancelled one tour during the entire course of my 16-year run and that was the 'make-up' Australia tour. Now, shall I open that can of worms, Matthew? Release the Kraken? Serve... Volley! You cancelled the Aussie tour in the fall because you went to rehab, but I won't say why… we'll just let Blabbermouth find out for themselves.

"As for our fans — I will sweat, bruise, and bleed for you. And will continue to do so until the end of this tour. However, you deserve to hear VELVET REVOLVER playing… not certain individuals singing along to get a muddied up sound. God forbid — could one imagine if I grabbed a guitar and started soloing along with Slash? That would never happen because I know my place. It's a shame… we were a gang. But ego and jealousy can get the better of anyone. I wish the best and plan to annihilate the stage in the last few shows.

"On a separate note, we did an STP [STONE TEMPLE PILOTS] photo shoot before this tour and it was fun, inspiring and it gave me that thrill — that feeling that got my rocks off from the get-go."

What a moron. I'm not saying Matt Sorum is the smartest drummer around, but at least he kept the flame burning. But no, Weiland, who indeed is, like Spunky said in another thread, a self centered mother****er. Here's to hoping that they'll find another singer soon enough. And I don't give a **** about his hint at the Stone Temple Pilots. People listened to Velvet Revolver because they digged GnR, not the other way around.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 03-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Something for the Posts

What cunt. Oh well, at least I'll get to see them, unless the prick suddenly decides to cancell the gig.
________
SILVERSURFER REVIEWS

Last edited by Ferret; 03-11-2011 at 09:58 PM..
Old 03-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Jovi Fan

Worst band I have ever seen live. Saw them at Hammersmith a few years back and they were horrible. The band had no interaction with each other, Scott just seemed to scream at the crowd through his megaphone at every available opportunity, didn't bother singing half the words and kept doing ridiculous posing! The sound was so loud it was distorted, and you couldn't pick out Slash's guitar from the other bloke's (whose name escapes me).

I don't know if I caught them on a bad night !
Old 03-23-2008, 02:30 AM
Keep the Faith

Send a message via MSN to JerseyboyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
People listened to Velvet Revolver because they digged GnR, not the other way around.
People should listen to Velvet Revolver because the like Velvet Revolver.

Contraband sounded like fresh, angry new record cut by a new exciting band. It wasn't a retro trip, this was something a lot harder and aggressive and modern sounding than most people expected to hear. The production was uber-shiny and the record on the whole had a fantastic contemporary feel to it.

Then 'Libertad' came along and showed VR for what they really are.
'Libertad' sounded like a bunch of old men embaressingly stumbling through tired classic rock-esque songs. Each song runs out of ideas after a couple of minutes, leaving Slash to fill the void with the worst solos he's put on record. No passion, shit songs, shit production.

If they had got Seb Bach (Skid Row) or Josh Todd (Buckcherry) as frontman as rumoured, then i've no doubt the debut would have sounded a lot more like 'Libertad' ie. wank. Both are (like Duff and Slash, for the most part) quite happy to bash out classic rock by numbers with thier respective bands, with either of them at the helm VR would have become no bigger than Slash's Snakepit did.

Egotistic? Maybe. Troubled? I guess. Unreliable? Most definatley.
But would 'Contraband' have sounded so aggressive, alive, interesting, and anywhere near as truely fan-****ing-tastic with anyone but Scott?

No, it ****ing wouldn't.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Jovi Freak

What is with Slash and Duff ending up with arsehole frontmen?

Anyway, Contraband was awesome, and I've never listened to it with any nostalgia about GNR. While inevitable, I always thought it was unfair to try to compare them to GNR... that album stood up in its own right. I liked Libertad for a while and still think it's ok but it's not likely to be an album I'll feel compelled to pull out of the vault on a rainy day.

PS - "Other bloke" = Dave Kushner.
Etihad Stadium, Melbourne - 8 December 2013
Perth Arena, Perth - 12 December 2013
Arena Joondalup, Perth (Soundwave) - 3 March 2014
ANZ Stadium, Sydney - 8 December 2018

Blame It On The Love...

Tags
live, velvet revolver