Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Favorite BJ concert of all time

General BJ Discussion

Old 06-27-2021, 11:20 AM
Price of posting

Default Favorite BJ concert of all time

Mk bowl 93. Band were on fire.
And. Because it was my first ever BJ gig - Wembley arena Jan 1990.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo

Old 06-27-2021, 11:35 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

Oslo, Norway 2011

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2021, 02:12 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

I partially agree with Dom's choices. I think if you'd add a show from April 1993 in there and then one of the shows done in Asia in may 1995 you've got the basics covered. I think Frankfurt 1996 is also a pretty good show.

I've never understood the enthusiasm for Helsinki 1996 though. The entire show has an interesting set but a terrible flow, a thing which often happened with these long shows in 1996. With the amount of ballads they either worked or they really didn't. Cologne 1996 is similar but a far better show. It's not to say Helsinki is terrible, it's a good show. But one of the best? Nah...

I'v no idea why people keep mentioning Wembley and Yokohama as great.

Jon blows his voice out after Always and gets raspier and raspier as the night goes on and by the time they're hitting the encores the entire band is tired and sloppy. Yeah, they're better than most of what was done that came after but compared to several other shows in 1995 Wembley isn't really that good. Rotterdam 1995 is far better.

Then there's the broadcasted show of Yokohama in 1996, which is about the worst show of the 1996 tour. The first night is slightly better but also not particularly great and yet the third night is a different band where everything suddenly seems to work. The difference between the second and third show at Yokohama is night and day.

How people who supposedly have listened to multiple Bon Jovi shows don't hear these things is beyond me. Then again, I think it's also the reason why so many fans still think Bon Jovi are a great band.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
It’s called opinions! Sometimes it’s down to the atmosphere of the show. For me Wembley was an electric atmosphere and the energy from the band was second to none. It’s not always about the vocals!🙄
Old 06-27-2021, 02:29 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoviForever View Post
It’s called opinions! Sometimes it’s down to the atmosphere of the show. For me Wembley was an electric atmosphere and the energy from the band was second to none. It’s not always about the vocals!
You have encountered Seb before, haven't you?

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

@JayChapperz
Old 06-27-2021, 07:08 PM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Send a message via MSN to liljovi93

Quote:
It’s called opinions! Sometimes it’s down to the atmosphere of the show. For me Wembley was an electric atmosphere and the energy from the band was second to none. It’s not always about the vocals!
This. Well said.

I think mines potentially the same as Dominik in regards to Tampa 95. Lie To Me is absolutely insane. Genuinely get goosebumps every single time I hear that version.

Some shows I just love watching for different reasons, though.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Bon Jovi - Old Trafford - June 26th 2003
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 4th 2006
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008
Bon Jovi - Old Trafford Cricket Ground - June 24th 2011
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 8th 2013
Bon Jovi - Slane Castle - June 15th 2013
Bon Jovi - Hyde Park - July 5th 2013
Bon Jovi - London Palladium - October 10th 2016
Excuse me, has anyone got a bottle of orange juice?!

Not afraid of Burning Bridges, cause I know they're gonna light my way...
Old 06-27-2021, 07:46 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
It’s called opinions! Sometimes it’s down to the atmosphere of the show. For me Wembley was an electric atmosphere and the energy from the band was second to none. It’s not always about the vocals!🙄
Definitely a vaild point and I agree on that about Wembley. On Yokohama, I don't
I think what Seb was more or less trying to do is to encourage fans to look past the two or three Soundboard recordings of a tour. Of course, they're always the first to go to because of the sound quality (was the same for me in the beginning), but there's simply a lot of great moments from this band to find once you get past them. And luckily, many of those are available in decent sound quality as well
Wembley was fantastic - but Night 2 was. It knocked night 3 out of the park left, right and center. The band had been playing these shows on three consecutive days and halfway through the Sunday concert, they were exhausted. That's mostly the reason why the official release contains mostly of songs up until Bad Medicine and rarely of anything afterwards. Even Hey God and TAALS had to have major overdubs. The crowd was probably insanely good on all three occasions.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:03 PM
Livin' on a Post

Hammersmith 1990
-im dying for the official release which is more than likely not going to happen

Rotterdam 1989
-audience participation is once-in-a-lifetime

Cincinnati 1987
-my first Jovi bootleg ever, Jon's voice wasnt too shot at this and they were firing on all cylinders
Old 08-19-2021, 06:44 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

Best one I've attended was Giants Stadium 7/19/2006.

I'm younger so am not as familiar with the band's prime years, but from 2001-present I think the band peaked in 2010/2011. The shows in Sydney 2010 looked insanely good, as did Argentia and many shows on the European 2011 leg. If I could go into a time machine though I'd be fine with going to any concert from the KTF tour. I'd want to see a show with Alec and all footage/audio from that era is awesome.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:59 PM
Something for the Posts

I'll never forget the first time I saw them at the Birmingham NEC in 1993 - the image of Richie stepping out on to the stage into a blue light and kicking into the I Believe intro is etched into my brain forever. And when Jon performed Fields Of Fire for the first time a couple of years before it was eventually released.

Milton Keynes 93 was also incredible as was Don Valley 95 with Van Halen and Thunder.

There were many shows in between, but seeing them in a small Theatre at the Nokia Theatre in NYC 2005 was something special, just because it was so intimate and I was so close to the front. Jon was really giving it some that night too.

the last time that I saw them was the last night of the O2 run in 2010. Whatever happens now, that will be the last time I saw the band that I remember, still somewhat at their peak. Highlight was hearing a couple of These Days tunes in the encore, especially '(It's Hard) Letting You Go'. Great way to end it for me really.

I started to become disillusioned with the band and the album when What About Now was released, so didn't see any shows on that tour or anything that has followed. I just haven't had the heart to see Jon in his current vocal state. I'm sure I would enjoy parts of it, but I want to remember the band as one of the greatest live bands on the planet, not a shadow of their former glories...but that's just me.

Last edited by Thinny; 08-19-2021 at 01:02 PM..
Old 08-19-2021, 02:20 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post

I started to become disillusioned with the band and the album when What About Now was released, so didn't see any shows on that tour or anything that has followed. I just haven't had the heart to see Jon in his current vocal state. I'm sure I would enjoy parts of it, but I want to remember the band as one of the greatest live bands on the planet, not a shadow of their former glories...but that's just me.
You maybe wouldn't even enjoy parts. I was on a similar path to you and stopped attending live shows in the late 00s when I left the UK. That changed whenever the last time they played Buenos Aires was (I think 2016?) when I took my wife because she has never seen them. It was manageable at best for me. Jon was mostly fine, his shakey voice was not as noticeable in the stadium, but there was simply no energy. In fact, I think it was Jon bringing the energy but it felt like him and a backing band.

Although, people going on about Jon's vocals or other marks of quality in a show as if that is a defining factor. I know people who had their first gig at less than respected shows who name them as their favourites even after multiple more shows. You cannot account for experience and meaning, which will always win over any other criteria. For example, if you were at Wembley 2000, which were just ok shows, it is hard to beat the experience of the band opening with Prayer (I think it was actually the second song).

I know people who were teenagers becoming fans in 1997, didn't get a show for the following three years and then had It's My Live, Crush, and then Wembley all happen within four months. That was huge and considering some of those kids didn't even know if Bon Jovi would ever return, that was the summer of Bon Jovi. Hindsight has changed a lot about that period but 2000 was a cool year to be a fan.

Also, question wasn't best Bon Jovi show so it is interesting that some people's favourites are shows they have seen on YouTube over ones they attended.

Last edited by semigoodlooking; 08-19-2021 at 02:34 PM..