General BJ Discussion

Old 02-17-2021, 02:00 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
They did play countries like France, Netherlands or Switzerland on occasion, but not beyond that. The costs of a "European tour" would be too high for what they'd earn on that scale (also since they all have day jobs and usually do this on weekends only). That's why I think that clubs rather hire local cover bands instead. They don't even play their shows equally spread over Germany because of that.
Yeah, this is true. However, with so many popular bands either just not existing or just not playing like they used to cover bands have become a small business. I've gone to a small festival which travelled all over Europe. Tickets were cheap and I had a blast. I think if they'd sign up for those they could really gain a lot of popularity.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Old 02-17-2021, 04:03 PM
Breakout

Here in Spain there is this tribute band called "Band Jovi", very nice guys.

What do you think of them?

Cheers!

Old 02-17-2021, 04:54 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanova View Post
Not bad musically, but the singer's accent is horrendous. I get that English isn't his first language, but come on...

Speaking of Spanish Jovi tributes, this Chilean (?) guy does a MAGNIFICENT job on the Spanish version of TAALS:

https://youtu.be/xFWfUgvihwM
Old 02-17-2021, 07:25 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan99 View Post
Not bad musically, but the singer's accent is horrendous. I get that English isn't his first language, but come on...
This sounds like he's got no idea of what he's singing about. I don't think he speaks English and really only knows the words in the songs.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 02-17-2021, 07:30 PM
Jovi Freak

Singer sounds like he's reading the Spanish writing of English words from a teleprompter. Shame, because the actual vocal is rock solid.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:28 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanova View Post
Ive seen them a couple of times and that was enough
I didnt enjoy their show.
The first time I saw them,they had to stop Wanted Dead Or Alive in the middle of the song cause a terrible mistake and begin again.
They are no Bon Jovi fans,they only created that tribute to earn a bit of money and have access to play in places that with your own songs you wouldnt have access.
I once talked to the singer at the end of a show a I said to him,joking that they should play outtakes and b sides,and put as an example Another Reason To Believe.
He didnt know what song I was talking about,and replied that they were thinking of playing a song called Hey God,that was the first song of an album called These Days,and if I knew that song?
I said I didnt know the song and ended the conversation.
They have the support of the main rock radio station in Spain,thats why they played a lot of shows,not because they do a good job,cause their show is horrendous.
Another thing I didnt like is that attitude of "who wants more 80s songs?" with a tone of trying to be harder or cooler instead of playing songs from the 2000s...
When he said that,made me feel ashamed
MADRID-22/5/2003 / MILTON KEYNES-10 & 11/6/2006 / LONDON-24/6/2007 / STUTTGART-29/5/2008 / BARCELONA-1/6/2008 / LONDON-27 & 28/6/2008 / NEW JERSEY-26 & 27/5/2010 / MADRID-4/6/2010 / PARIS-16/6/2010 / MADRID-6/11/2010 / DRESDEN-10/6/2011 / MUNICH-12/6/2011 / ZEEBRUGGE-24/7/2011 / BARCELONA-27/7/2011 / SAN SEBASTIAN-29/7/2011 / LISBON-31/7/2011 / RICHIE SAMBORA-LONDON-16/10/12 / BERLIN-18/6/13 / KOLN-22/6/13 / MADRID-27/6/13 / MILANO-29/6/13 / LIVERPOOL-19/6/19 / LONDON-21/6/19 / MADRID-7/7/19

Last edited by Xavi; 02-17-2021 at 08:43 PM..
Old 02-18-2021, 10:03 AM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

I think the future is bright for such bands. Given that the original musicians are dying out but the legacy stays. I don't want to campare Bon Jovi to Beethoven but you know, that kind of music lives because there are people performing it. One day it could be a similar case with rock music.

I love a Czech Queen cover band because they are musically and vocally perfect. What they do is called concert theatre. They dress like the band and perform to evoke the feeling of the original band, they say they play the characters. It's actually the only thing I don't like about them. I go to their shows because the singer can nail Freddie's vocals and overall they sound excellent not because stupid wigs.
On the other hand - Queen's music is so legendary that it might be reaching Beethoven's status. Even Queen themselves produced a live show called Queen Extravaganza. Meat Loaf is planning something similar. It aims to the concept that TSO do - the singers and all band members are replacable.

Sorry, all the BJ cover bands shared recently suck. I love Bounce because they have found the right way to do it. They are themselves, even though they incorporate a few typical BJ things, moves or the guitars etc. However they play the music and it's about the music. They do rarities and even they played three shows with an orchestra and many of the songs were totally reworked.
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights
Old 02-19-2021, 12:29 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986
Default Best Bon Jovi Tribute?

I've only seen one Bon Jovi tribute band and that was "The Bon Jovi Experience".

http://jonbyjovi.com/

Saw them twice in 2014 and really enjoyed it. The lead singer has even joined the real Jon on stage. The band mostly resembled the real members (circa 2000-2005) and they played well as well. The lead singer sang in the style of early/mid 2000's Jon but with more power. The setlist I remember being good, although they didn't play "Wanted Dead or Alive" (!) but they played "Blaze of Glory" and even threw in Van Morrison's "Have I Told You Lately" before leading into "Bed of Roses".

My only criticism was that the show did feel very 'staged' rather than seeing a live band. It's been a few years now so my memories of those shows aren't as lucid as they were but if you're in the UK, they're worth checking out.

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.

Last edited by Dave 1986; 12-17-2021 at 05:06 PM..
Old 02-19-2021, 07:54 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 1986 View Post
I've only seen one Bon Jovi tribute band and that was "The Bon Jovi Experience".

http://jonbyjovi.com/

Saw them twice in 2014 and really enjoyed it. The lead singer has even joined the real Jon on stage. The band mostly resembled the real members (circa 2000-2005) and they played well as well. The lead singer sang in the style of early/mid 2000's Jon but with more power. The setlist I remember being good, although they didn't play "Wanted Dead or Alive" (!) but they played "Blaze of Glory" and even threw in Van Morrison's "Have I Told You Lately" before leading into "Bed of Roses".

My only criticism was that the show did feel very 'staged' rather than seeing a live band. It's been a few years now so my memories of those shows aren't as lucid as they were but if you're in the UK, they're worth checking out.
Holy f*ck, that singer looks like Jon.

Like seriously.

I’ve seen videos of them and overall think they’re good, but the guy has a very strong vibrato which can be pretty hard on the ears at times. Still obviously sounds better than current Jon, though, and his stage presence is spot on
Old 02-19-2021, 12:35 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan99 View Post
Holy f*ck, that singer looks like Jon.

Like seriously.

I’ve seen videos of them and overall think they’re good, but the guy has a very strong vibrato which can be pretty hard on the ears at times. Still obviously sounds better than current Jon, though, and his stage presence is spot on
You’re right. He is a full-on dead ringer for Jon. The rest of the member (besides the drummer) look almost as close to their counterparts. Obviously with a tribute band, I was able to to get a lot closer to them than I would at an actual Bon Jovi concert and it is quite weird seeing “Jon” up close.

Nowadays I’d rather see these guys than the real Bon Jovi.

Here’s a clip of the band with Jon on stage with them;

https://youtu.be/DLZ86SLesnE

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.

Last edited by Dave 1986; 02-19-2021 at 09:26 PM..

Tags
tribute band