Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

2020: The New Album

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 02-26-2021, 03:07 AM
Jovi Freak

It's true, Jon is the image of Bon Jovi more now without Richie.
In the videos, the band only appears on the Limitless video.
On the interview of the other day, Jon said: "I wrote most of this record, eight of the ten by myself and I co-wrote two just because you know some of the chord progression stuff in the other two uh were better suited with John Shanks of collaborating with me."
Old 02-26-2021, 09:20 AM
Price of posting

Default 2020: The New Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
All due respect, this is coming from someone who has barely listened to it. That rhetoric is getting really old and dated. Band is loud and clear for a good chunk of the album.

Maybe I didnt make myself clear, I’m not saying the band didn’t play on the album (at one point I thought they didn’t) but I believe they had little input re songwriting (Jon wrote 10/12) or wasn’t really asked about giving any input in other areas.

As per yovanas post Jbj did everything for this album the band are hardly involved in videos and song writing. It’s a shame but I guess that’s the “band” now

David would rather do his shows and Tico is happy to turn up where required. I don’t blame them after 30 odd years.

I actually think I could accept the songs a lot more if they were a Jbj solo album. All the really slow songs on here are very Jbj solo sounding in the vein of the Fighter and not running.
2020 and THINFS are probably the least “sounding” Jovi albums bar the odd track ever released and I include LH in that.

I guess it’s up to the individual whether they like this new direction and sound. Lots don’t as 2020 has shown sales wise despite some good reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo

Last edited by steel_horse75; 02-26-2021 at 09:33 AM..
Old 02-26-2021, 09:24 AM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Send a message via MSN to liljovi93

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
It's true, Jon is the image of Bon Jovi more now without Richie.

In the videos, the band only appears on the Limitless video.

On the interview of the other day, Jon said: "I wrote most of this record, eight of the ten by myself and I co-wrote two just because you know some of the chord progression stuff in the other two uh were better suited with John Shanks of collaborating with me."
Even with Richie, the Lost Highway videos barely had him or the rest of the band in.

Memory had them in a bar for two/three clips.

Lost Highway had them in but not a great deal and I remember posts on here saying that Richie looked like he tried to get himself in the shot.

Whole Lot Of Leaving had photos of Richie (I know it was during rehab as well)

Till We Ain't Strangers didn't have them in at all.

This isn't anything new. I wish the band featured in videos more but we're talking about them playing on the album and to me, you can hear them more clear than the last few albums.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Bon Jovi - Old Trafford - June 26th 2003
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 4th 2006
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008
Bon Jovi - Old Trafford Cricket Ground - June 24th 2011
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 8th 2013
Bon Jovi - Slane Castle - June 15th 2013
Bon Jovi - Hyde Park - July 5th 2013
Bon Jovi - London Palladium - October 10th 2016
Excuse me, has anyone got a bottle of orange juice?!

Not afraid of Burning Bridges, cause I know they're gonna light my way...
Old 02-26-2021, 04:57 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
Maybe I didnt make myself clear, I’m not saying the band didn’t play on the album (at one point I thought they didn’t) but I believe they had little input re songwriting (Jon wrote 10/12) or wasn’t really asked about giving any input in other areas.

As per yovanas post Jbj did everything for this album the band are hardly involved in videos and song writing. It’s a shame but I guess that’s the “band” now

David would rather do his shows and Tico is happy to turn up where required. I don’t blame them after 30 odd years.

I actually think I could accept the songs a lot more if they were a Jbj solo album. All the really slow songs on here are very Jbj solo sounding in the vein of the Fighter and not running.
2020 and THINFS are probably the least “sounding” Jovi albums bar the odd track ever released and I include LH in that.

I guess it’s up to the individual whether they like this new direction and sound. Lots don’t as 2020 has shown sales wise despite some good reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I get this. But we're in 2020 and complaining that the other members aren't involved in the songwriting....why? Dave's last co-song writing credit was Last Cigarette, and even then Jon came clean about him having nothing to do with it. Past that it's a bevvy of b-sides until you hit the mid 80's. If it were a case of them being more "present" from a song-writing perspective prior then sure. I hate using the pandemic as an excuse but a lot of the promo had Jon, Tico and David doing interviews prior to the shut down.

I wish he'd involve the band more but Christ, even when Richie was in the band how much were press and promo focussing on Dave. This isn't a solo project, its a continuation of the machine they dug themselves into years ago. I think you're right it's not a Jovi sounding album because it's not. We have two new(ish) guitar players finally working together in the studio and it is a new sound but why wouldn't it be? Richie left and with him went his playing style. Would you rather they try and ape how he'd do a solo?

I don't get your obsession with sales. Sales doesn't dictate quality, especially considering how the ticket bundling is gone and how weird this promo cycle has been given we're in a pandemic. I could provide a bunch of articles about how major labels are telling artists not to put out records during this because of how hard they are to promote and get word out and with no tour to promote it. The album hasn't been selling but at least around here the album was best received than since The Circle maybe?

Anyway, I'm rambling again.

Last edited by Captain_jovi; 02-26-2021 at 05:26 PM..
Old 02-26-2021, 05:18 PM
Jovi Freak

Friendly reminder that Lost Highway was originally "not a Bon Jovi album, but JBJ and Richie doing Nashville". I remember that quote; hopefully I'm not the only one. "The band" usually meant "Richie". There's been rumors that Tico didn't even play on the whole record. With Richie gone, it's all about JBJ. Which is true, but it was never a "proper band" situation as far as the involvement of the others goes.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:29 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
Friendly reminder that Lost Highway was originally "not a Bon Jovi album, but JBJ and Richie doing Nashville". I remember that quote; hopefully I'm not the only one. "The band" usually meant "Richie". There's been rumors that Tico didn't even play on the whole record. With Richie gone, it's all about JBJ. Which is true, but it was never a "proper band" situation as far as the involvement of the others goes.
I think the rumour that went around some parts was Tico played on half the album. I'm dead certain he's not on We Got It Goin On and I assume the other earlier ones.

But I agree with this sentiment. Having the band record together for the last two albums puts it into the same place the non-Shanks album were in. Jon brings the songs in, the band work out the parts, the band records the songs. That only started deviating when they recorded the albums with guitars and vocals first and then built around that. I think a handful of songs were recorded like that on this one given Phil isn't on a few of them.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:44 AM
Jovi Freak

So JBJ's Bon Jovi options for Biden's Inauguration were Do What You Can or American Reckoning...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptka...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS2W...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpRS...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-04-2021, 04:54 AM
Jovi Freak

Ask Jon Bon Jovi anything: https://now.axs.tv/
Old 03-04-2021, 06:24 AM
Jovi Fan

I'm really keen to get his opinion on his vocal state so I asked "As people get older, they can't always sing like they used too,
how do you deal with vocal struggles of past hits and how
does it affect your current song writing?"
Old 03-04-2021, 05:43 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
Ask Jon Bon Jovi anything: https://now.axs.tv/
Interesting

Tags
2020 (album)