Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Feb 14, 2017 - USA - Tampa - Amalie Arena

Tour Discussion

Old 02-15-2017, 06:29 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
That's true, time will tell and songs can filter in and out but it doesn't change the fact that it's been the same album cuts tour to tour to tour.
Jon stated that the more albums they put out, the tougher it is to put together set-lists...

Between playing the new stuff, the hits, and the stuff that fulfills him, he's challenged... He always loved Sleep and Lost Highway (One of the best lyrics he's claimed to writing - Oh patron saint of lonely souls) so if that's his thing, let it be his thing...

If I had to pick the 2 worst Jovi songs on an actual album, my choices would be Joey and Working Man... Working Man just happens to be in the set and as much as that eats me up, I'm not seeing this band for another month and a half so hopefully by that time, it'll be removed and it's not worth complaining about now...

Old 02-15-2017, 06:39 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by efpg0708 View Post
My main issue is not just about the static setlists, but with the overall performance of the band. As I said ... they still put on a good shows for the casuals, but for the majority of the diehards they don't. And it's not about watching it on youtube: I was there in 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2013. You might ask: How can you complain about the 2017 set if you didn't watch one gig ? Simple ... because it's clear that Jon is glued to the mic stand, his voice is gone (and that means that most of the GOOD rarities won't be played) and most of all:

1. This House Is Not For Sale
2. Knockout
3. You Give Love A Bad Name
4. Born To Be My Baby
5. We Weren't Born To Follow
6. Lost Highway

7. Roller Coaster
8. Work For The Working Man
9. I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
10. We Got It Goin' On
11. Who Says You Can't Go Home

12. It's My Life
13. We Don't Run
14. God Bless This Mess
15. Scars on This Guitar
16. The Devil's in the Temple
17. Lay Your Hands On Me
18. Blood on Blood
19. Have a Nice Day
20. Bad Medicine
21. Keep the Faith
-------------------------------
22. Someday I'll Be Saturday Night
23. Wanted Dead or Alive
24. Prayer

I have seen these songs played to death a hundred times. It's just not fun anymore. So for me and for a lot of diehards, an excelent performance of Lost Highway, Born to Follow and Who Says still is boring, because the songs are boring.

As for the setlists ... They can easily shake things up. Phil was able to learn songs in between shows in 2011 and 2013, and Shanks has been with the guys for 12 years now.
Jon's voice is what it is right now and that dictates much of the set lists... I don't agree that Jon is glued to the mic... After a few knee operations, I don't expect a 55 year old man to do jumping jacks either... He's moving around and invented other things to do...

Also, out of the songs you highlighted in red, most of them were hits, singles, or justifiable... So in essence you want to Jon to cater to you and you only...

You Give Love A Bad Name - Hit Song from 80's
Born To Be My Baby - Hit Song from 80's
Who Says You Can't Go Home - Hit Song from '05
We Weren't Born To Follow - 2010 Lead Single and the last one to get decent radio play (minor hit)

Lost Highway - Jon's Songs he Does For Himself
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead - Jon's Songs he Does For Himself

We Got It Goin' On - Great rare track crowd pleaser

Work For The Working Man - Needs to go
Old 02-15-2017, 06:40 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

The thing about the set list that always gets me is that before the Tour you hear from someone in the band how many songs they have to chose from. And yet to see the set list it seems like they don't have many songs to chose from at all
Old 02-15-2017, 06:42 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denmad View Post
They tried something new in Sunrise and it ended up with a big mistake:

https://youtu.be/A_mjP2HvCbE?t=59s
This is why I love this member... We are always in agreement... Thanks for posting that... Just proves my point...
Old 02-15-2017, 06:48 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

I can't get that link to work for me. But I remember someone saying that Jon sang the wrong verse of a song in a show. If other members mess up, Jon gives them the "stink eye". What happens when Jon messes up?
Old 02-15-2017, 07:21 PM
Posting everyday

Just listened to the first 3 shows on SBD and I really hope Jon gets at least comfortable enough to move around the stage more and show some showmanship. His vocals struggles on some songs are worrying...
Old 02-15-2017, 07:23 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Jon stated that the more albums they put out, the tougher it is to put together set-lists...

Between playing the new stuff, the hits, and the stuff that fulfills him, he's challenged... He always loved Sleep and Lost Highway (One of the best lyrics he's claimed to writing - Oh patron saint of lonely souls) so if that's his thing, let it be his thing...

If I had to pick the 2 worst Jovi songs on an actual album, my choices would be Joey and Working Man... Working Man just happens to be in the set and as much as that eats me up, I'm not seeing this band for another month and a half so hopefully by that time, it'll be removed and it's not worth complaining about now...
While you're mostly right, don't count on Working Man being removed from the set anytime soon. Why? Because I'd bet real money that Jon put it in the setlist for a reason, and that is because of the new president. And probably one of a few things that led to those twitter posts about Jon going political, which usually isn't his thing, but I can understand.

Like it or not, but I guess that's Jon's reason for including it in the first place, and the reason it isn't likely to go away any time soon.

BTW, I love Joey and even kind of like Working Man, but that's another story
Old 02-15-2017, 07:25 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Just listened to the first 3 shows on SBD and I really hope Jon gets at least comfortable enough to move around the stage more and show some showmanship. His vocals struggles on some songs are worrying...
That's what I don't get (besides the awful vocal mix on the SBD recordings). His voice is not actually that terrible or totally shot, it's terribly inconsistent. Some parts sound just fine, some excellent, and some are just off key or plain terrible. But those are not neccessarily the vocally demanding or high notes. That's what puzzles me. Like hitting the high notes in BOB and Always, but struggling with the Prayer verses.

Could be due to different singing techniques he's learnt to apply, which could also be why his voice sometimes sounds thin and sometimes much fuller. Maybe he should use the technique he's learned to hit the higher notes for the whole of the songs, but maybe that wouldn't sound too great either...
Old 02-15-2017, 07:41 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J. Always View Post
I can't get that link to work for me. But I remember someone saying that Jon sang the wrong verse of a song in a show. If other members mess up, Jon gives them the "stink eye". What happens when Jon messes up?
I like to picture Richie watching the videos and laughing himself silly every time Jon makes a mistake

Joking aside, I hope Jon's diva attitude NEVER makes a comeback. After everything that has happened, I can't imagine him throwing a hissy fit when somebody screws up

These days what's left of me ain't no Prince Charming

We know Jon, we know
Old 02-15-2017, 08:02 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovifan93 View Post
That's what I don't get (besides the awful vocal mix on the SBD recordings). His voice is not actually that terrible or totally shot, it's terribly inconsistent. Some parts sound just fine, some excellent, and some are just off key or plain terrible. But those are not neccessarily the vocally demanding or high notes. That's what puzzles me. Like hitting the high notes in BOB and Always, but struggling with the Prayer verses.

Could be due to different singing techniques he's learnt to apply, which could also be why his voice sometimes sounds thin and sometimes much fuller. Maybe he should use the technique he's learned to hit the higher notes for the whole of the songs, but maybe that wouldn't sound too great either...
This. I noticed it during the promo shows
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbeline View Post
I wonder if he really has a vocal coach, he seems to try different things to get the notes out in every song and even during the same song
and also when he sang Runaway from the first time in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbeline View Post
YGLABN sounded really good but like that Runaway from a few weeks ago it’s a bit of a mess, as if Jon is trying different approaches in the same song and not all of them are working
He's doing different things during the "difficult" songs and not all of them work. Is almost as if he's trying desperately to hold on to a technique until he can't anymore and then improvises

It doesn't explain why he struggles with easy songs, specially on the verses

These days what's left of me ain't no Prince Charming

We know Jon, we know