Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Bon Jovi Concert Incident Entered In Documenting Hate Database

Tour Discussion

Old 08-07-2017, 07:04 AM
Something for the Posts

Default Bon Jovi Concert Incident Entered In U.S. "Documenting" Hate Database

Quote:
USA Today: On March 18...Karina Brown...a mother and college administrator...and her childhood friend went to see Bon Jovi at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus (Ohio). They were celebrating her 45th birthday. Toward the end of the show, another concertgoer turned to her and said, "You don't belong in this country."

...Brown, the daughter of a Japanese immigrant and U.S. military veteran, was shaken and disturbed by the woman's comment...(and)...left immediately...But in the days that followed, she realized something even more alarming.

Several of the people she told about the incident tried to justify it, or told her she was exaggerating its impact. Then, after documenting the night on Facebook, she received many negative comments. Brown decided to report her story to Documenting Hate, an online database that aims to track and spread awareness of discrimination across the country...(C)reated by nonprofit newsroom ProPublica...the project...is an effort to document hate crimes and discrimination and spread awareness about how often it happens...

Although Brown isn't a stranger to discrimination, she attributes the incident to a shift in culture sparked by Donald Trump. Since his election as president, people feel more emboldened to express racism, she said....

Brown said she reported her story because she wants people to know that hate can happen in the "most unsuspecting of places...Here’s this woman standing next to me...She looks like someone I would see at one of my kids’ PTA meetings, and the look she gave me, the contempt she had for me. It floored me, I just couldn’t believe it," Brown said...
The real problem is, that woman didn't belong at a Bon Jovi concert: does she feel the same way about the Cuban or the Jew or the black percussionist she'd been watching all night? That's what I would have asked her instead of leaving -- especially in view of how much Bon Jovi tickets cost!

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 08-07-2017 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-07-2017, 09:59 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

There is hate everywhere (apparently) but your response would have been good. How about the Italian fronting the band? Not that long ago the Italians were reviled as greasers and foreigners too

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:16 PM
Something for the Posts

And there was the time when the Irish needed not apply.

Oh, and since Karina Brown is part Asian, I would have mentioned Jon's Chinese sister-in-law for good measure!

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 12-02-2020 at 06:20 AM..
Old 08-09-2017, 12:14 AM
These Days

Send a message via MSN to mo_rizwan

I have to say, from the first gig I went to (in 2006) right upto the 10th time I saw the band (in 2013).....to this day, I'm still surprised that NOT ONE person ever approached me asking how comes I'm into the Band.

It don't matter what colour/background anyone is.....Music is Universal. If you like it, you get into it
Old 08-09-2017, 03:24 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_rizwan View Post
I have to say, from the first gig I went to (in 2006) right upto the 10th time I saw the band (in 2013).....to this day, I'm still surprised that NOT ONE person ever approached me asking how comes I'm into the Band.

It don't matter what colour/background anyone is.....Music is Universal. If you like it, you get into it
I agree Mo - music is (or should be) universal. If you like it; you should enjoy it. I have no idea where the music police came from but I sure hope they don't show up at my concert (or yours).

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:01 AM
Something for the Posts

Well, that's a whole other species of bigotry we definitely can do without. Suppose someone had said to Tico, "You're not supposed to like rock and jazz -- you're supposed to like salsa!"

Or suppose someone had convinced Jessye Norman that she wasn't "qualified" to be an opera singer:

And here's a ballerina who was advised to get her skin bleached (she's dancing with a company in London):

Last edited by rocknation; 01-18-2022 at 01:05 AM..
Old 08-11-2017, 01:05 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

http://www.wapt.com/article/man-alle...-show/11665559

Talk about bad behavior at a concert! Wow... there are idiots among us.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:46 AM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I suppose we can take comfort in his being so drunk he would have pissed on anyone. And he's studying law? He might have just "pissed away" his entire future career!

Last edited by rocknation; 08-11-2017 at 06:54 PM..
Old 10-01-2019, 05:25 PM
Something for the Posts

Default Sad Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknation View Post
(S)uppose someone had convinced Jessye Norman that she wasn't "qualified" to be an opera singer...