Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Dave not in the writing after 7800

General BJ Discussion

Old 11-03-2016, 10:05 PM
Next 100 Posts

Default Dave not in the writing after 7800

It would be interesting to know why Dave Bryan fell out of the songwriting circle after 7800. Did he have writing credits on songs that didn't make Slippery? He may have been a little pissed about not getting any publishing royalties from Slippery or Jersey. Just having a writing credit on one song would have been a lot of money. Richie was cool enough to collaborate with him on his solo albums but those didn't sell well.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:16 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Dave had a handful of song writing credits post 7800. Nothing of note sales wise minus In These Arms. A few b-sides too.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:50 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

I swear Jon was asked about this once and said that they don't typically write well together despite their friendship. As in they are great as friends, not so great as collaborators.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:24 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

i love Dave's solo albums and hope he will release his 3rd
Old 11-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME-XIII View Post
i love Dave's solo albums and hope he will release his 3rd

Yeah, I would like to have an album of David not only the piano, also singing.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:44 PM
These Days

He did co-write Borderline with Jon for Slippery. Fantastic song, but only made it as a B-side.

He obviously co-wrote In These Arms for Keep the Faith with Jon, first called Water Into Wine, and then Richie added the chorus. Also together with Jon and Richie he wrote Love Ain't Nothing But a Four Letter Word but the song didn't make it to the album and was first released on the box set years later.

For These Days he was once again involved with the writing though none of his songs made it to the final product. Both The End and When She Comes was written early during the writing process but only made it as B-sides. Flesh and Bone was another co-write presumably during this era.

He did return as a writer for Have a Nice Day with Last Cigarette being the last song to date that he has written for a Bon Jovi-album. Unbreakable was another David co-write that was featrued as a bouns track in some regions.

These are the ones on top of my head. I may have forgotten some bouns/b-side.

To answer the question I would guess the reason David has been used so sparely is as simple as the fact he and Jon just aren't great writers together. They don't have the chemistry when it comes to writing songs as Jon/Richie or Jon/Falcon or Jon/Child etc.
Sure, In These Arms is an amazing song but Jon and David couldn't finish the song themselves and had Richie save their work with the chorus. I would like to see David more involved for an emotional reson but logically there is a reason for his absence and I can't see him writing more BJ material ever again. The last cigarette really was the last cigarette it seems.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Undiscovered Posts

A little question about that: What do they consider as a co-writing?
Does that only include writing lyrics or the main structure of a song, or contributing anything to it?
For instance, didn't Dave write any of his keyboard parts in the songs, did Jon write them? Cause in some songs mainly from the 80's the Keyboards are very dominant and making the song (Wild In the Streets etc..)
Old 11-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Next 100 Posts

It really depends on what type of agreement the writers have when working together. People have gotten co-writing credits for altering one line. Many pop singers do this. Sometimes people who didn't help write the song at all are given credit as a "gift".
Old 11-05-2016, 12:07 AM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD135 View Post
It really depends on what type of agreement the writers have when working together. People have gotten co-writing credits for altering one line. Many pop singers do this. Sometimes people who didn't help write the song at all are given credit as a "gift".
It's not a gift if you pay for it (most popstars) or blackmail people (Ozzy, or rather Sharon Osbourne).

Dry County should give you a rough idea how much you can add to a song and still not get a writing credit in BJ. I also really doubt that the guitar riff of I Want You was written by Jon, but then again, Hugh wrote KTF's bass riff and wasn't credited.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:45 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherGuy View Post
A little question about that: What do they consider as a co-writing?
Does that only include writing lyrics or the main structure of a song, or contributing anything to it?
For instance, didn't Dave write any of his keyboard parts in the songs, did Jon write them? Cause in some songs mainly from the 80's the Keyboards are very dominant and making the song (Wild In the Streets etc..)
I'm pretty sure that in Bon Jovi world, it means lyrics, or being present when the song was being written. Just hearing the story behind "New Year's Day" confirms it. Jon practically admits the song took life after Tico and Dave added their parts but still they don't have credits.

(+ Santiago 09/24/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/26/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/16/2017)
These Days!