These Days

General BJ Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 06:41 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
I don't think I ever disagreed more with a comment on this board

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk
Ach, haste KopperChopper etwa auch auf ignorieren gesetzt?

Old 07-02-2020, 08:13 PM
Something for the Posts

I wouldn't change a thing about These Days. It's a near perfect record.

The B-sides are good, but don't compare to anything that made the album. I always though Wedding Day was the best of them. Jon delivers a great passionate vocal on that one.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:27 PM
Jovi FANatic

That I agree, I think the only strong B-Side is Wedding Day.

The Boxset songs from that era are awesome, through.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:03 AM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

Interesting that he went for that record and not Crush which celebrated 20 years. It's surprising for me because he's always seemed not to care about this album.

This is the album I mention when I bitch about the current production. It's an absolute masterpiece in the way it sounds, the instruments just breathe the music into you. You can clearly hear everything not some messy noise.

When I discovered BJ in 2000 I liked to go the only local big music store where it was possible to listen to a few CDs begore you bought it. I remember thinking that tha TD was such a heavy record because of Hey God and unfortunately I only listened to the first track. So when saving up for my new BJ albums, I had TD as the last of the band's records on my list. And when I finally felt prepared (and had the money) and bought it, you can imagine how I was surprised to learn that the majority of the album are slow songs but none of them is power ballad. I loved to make mixes and my favourite one was to pick a big love ballad out of all the records. Love Lies wasn't the strongest start but I liked it, SIlent Night, Never Say Goodbye, I'll Be There For You, Bed Of Roses, Always and then there was no choice for me. This Ain't A Love Song started to quiet for me even though the choruses are more powerful. I remember that I liked Thank You For Loving Me better which logically was the next one in line. Bounce killed it for me anyway and HaND didn't make it better and with LH I was happy there was a ballad in the vein of This Ain't A Love Song actually

So that's my story with that album. It's one of those you need to find the right moment to strat loving for what it offers. It's amazing how the band evolved from Slippery or even Fahrenheit in ten years to These Days.
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights
Old 07-03-2020, 01:34 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
Ktf isn't the better album for me - it contains I want you, blame on the love and woman in love. 3 poor tracks on one side.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Blame it on the Love is a banger! Would prefer it to Sleep When I'm Dead any day of the week.

I also enjoy Woman in Love and I Want You. The only song on KTF I dont particularly like is Little Bit of Soul.

These Days is probably a little more consistent than KTF, but the songs I like on KTF I like a lot more than the songs I like on TD, if that makes sense. I just can't go past Bed of Roses, Keep the Faith, I Believe, and the greatest of them all - In These Arms. If I stack those 4 songs against my favourite 4 songs from TD, KTF wins every time.

(And yes, Dry County is great, but not in my top 4 from KTF - bite me )

It's all subjective though. Everyone likes different things.

Perth - January 25, 2008
Perth - December 8, 2010
Sydney - December 17, 2010
Sydney - December 19, 2010 (I Believe!!!)

East Rutherford - July 25, 2013
Melbourne - December 7, 2013
Melbourne - December 8, 2013
Perth - December 12, 2013

Sydney - December 8, 2018
Old 07-03-2020, 02:48 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 1986 View Post
As much as I love These Days the way it is, the one thing I wish were different was if it had more rockers in a similar vein as Hey God.
Yep, I agree with this. For me it is a perfect album, but even so, I would have liked a couple of rock songs in the lot. But let's not forget that some slow songs feel very rocky (My Guitar bleeding... Something to Believe In)

Even so, I have to say one thing, it seems that the way to choose the track list was to include the best songs, it does not matter if there are too many ballads or rockers, simply the best songs, so I am very satisfied with that.

With all that said, for me All I Want Is Everything and Bitter Wine are part of the album, I cannot see them as bonus tracks, because they are as great as the rest of the songs included on the album. In fact, All I Want Is Everything was played live several times, I have always felt that its place should be on the official track list.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 07-03-2020 at 02:51 PM..
Old 07-03-2020, 03:05 PM
Keep the Faith

I remember when I first listened to the These Days album that I was in shocked since the very first listening.
For me its perfect,from the recording and production,to the songs,the lyrics,the promo photos,the cover,everything is perfect for me on that album.
It has always been there for me in the good and the bad moments,its the record of my life.
But,back to when I first listened to it,I remember when I got to Something To Believe In.
I was impressee with Jon vocals but when the song got to the final something to believe in scream I suddendy standed up impressed and with the feeling that Jon had reached the peak of his career.
Nowadays when I listenee to it I have the same feeling.For me,that moment is the peak of their career,the scream on something to believe in.
I will never forget the first time I listened live many These Days songs.From These Days in Madrid 03,to TAALS in San Sebastian 11,Something To Believe In Dresden 11 and of course,Letting You Go Lisbon 11
MADRID-22/5/2003 / MILTON KEYNES-10 & 11/6/2006 / LONDON-24/6/2007 / STUTTGART-29/5/2008 / BARCELONA-1/6/2008 / LONDON-27 & 28/6/2008 / NEW JERSEY-26 & 27/5/2010 / MADRID-4/6/2010 / PARIS-16/6/2010 / MADRID-6/11/2010 / DRESDEN-10/6/2011 / MUNICH-12/6/2011 / ZEEBRUGGE-24/7/2011 / BARCELONA-27/7/2011 / SAN SEBASTIAN-29/7/2011 / LISBON-31/7/2011 / RICHIE SAMBORA-LONDON-16/10/12 / BERLIN-18/6/13 / KOLN-22/6/13 / MADRID-27/6/13 / MILANO-29/6/13 / LIVERPOOL-19/6/19 / LONDON-21/6/19 / MADRID-7/7/19

Last edited by Xavi; 07-03-2020 at 03:07 PM..
Old 07-03-2020, 03:55 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986
Default These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
Yep, I agree with this. For me it is a perfect album, but even so, I would have liked a couple of rock songs in the lot. But let's not forget that some slow songs feel very rocky (My Guitar bleeding... Something to Believe In)
That’s very true. I love “MGLBiMA”, mainly for that reason. That heavy break-down between the 2nd chorus and guitar solo is awesome and probably what pulled me in the most when I first heard it. Those power chords really takes you by surprise that far into the song. Same with “StBI” where the tempo picked up during the first solo and Tico’s drum fill.

The whole album really does feel like it was born out of the band just jamming and improvising almost as they we went along. I know this album is not unique in that respect but for Bon Jovi, this was when it really shows and again, something lacking in subsequent albums.

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.

Last edited by Dave 1986; 07-03-2020 at 11:08 PM..
Old 07-03-2020, 09:26 PM
Price of posting

About of the These Days era ... Fields Of Fire song actually belongs to the 1992 sessions, at least it was written that year, but the studio version we all know is so different from the one they played on MTV An Evening With BJ .... I always felt that the studio version of this song sounded more like the Crossroad-These Days sessions.

I think it was even mixed by Bob Clearmountain if I'm not mistaken. Do you think the studio version of Fields Of Fire could have been re-recorded in the 1994-95 sessions again? Or maybe they took the 1992 recording and Bob Clearmountain remixed it in 1995 for the Special Edition double disc release?

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 07-03-2020 at 09:37 PM..
Old 07-03-2020, 11:07 PM
Jovi FANatic

these days...my all time favorite record ever...the first record i ever got!! still the best after all these years...
the fellow jovitalkers have said everything i was gonna say but i cant resist but hail this masterpiece of an album!!
i remember the day i bought it in 95, the first time i listened to it with my sister, to this day the music means the world to me..
its true there are many many great bj songs but this album has some magic for sure. a creative peak, sadly makes me wonder how the same songwriter writes slogan titles and songs like dwyc, and everything we ve listened from 2020 til now..
i wonder if jon listens to past albums with a bittersweet feeling or he has completely move on.. nice to see him aknowlidging these days though, the greatest album ever

Tags
these days