Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

What's the worst song on Bounce?

General BJ Discussion

Old 02-27-2018, 04:29 PM
Jovi Freak

Default What's the worst song on Bounce?

Given the topic of "Bounce could have been a much better album if they only swapped some tracks out and b-sides in" is reoccuring around here, I was wondering... is there even a consensus as to what the worst song on the album is? I mean, you gotta swap something out, obviously. Discussions usually tackle both "what should have been in instead" as well, and things tend to get a little messy from there, since that's basically two questions in one.

Since the album's direction is all over the place, a lot of the lesser tracks still serve as a token track in a particular style. Plus IMO you shouldn't delete singles, since that's just not something that could have ever happened.

Track by track:
1. Undivided - no way. Great opener, must stay
2. Everyday - first single, one of four rock-ish songs, stay
3. The Distance - okay track, was played live and I think most people enjoy it - stay
4. Joey - I know a lot of people don't like that one. Me, I do. I vote stay
5. Misunderstood - terrific pop track, stay
6. All About Lovin' You - super bland with super dated and weak production, but was a single - stay
7. Hook Me Up - notable for being rather heavy, nice attitude, stay
8. Right Side Of Wrong - sole JBJ credit, epic storytelling (by the band's 2002 standards), not a huge fan but the only one of its kind on the album, so stay
9. Love Me Back To Life - tough one. For me, I think it's a lesser version of The Distance plus it features the ol' talkbox, but I think some people actually prefer it over The Distance? I vote out
10. You Had Me From Hello - great intro lick, but the rest is super boring, plus It Only Takes One To Say Goodbye pulls off that vibe in a much more convincing manner. I say out
11. Bounce - promo-single, was played live, great track, stay
12. Open All Night - I think this one was hated on release, but is actually a pretty little ballad. It just has no business closing the album. Undecided

I suppose the next step would be to find out whether the unused tracks could have been good subsitutes for the tracks deemed "worst", but... one thing at a time.

So, what's the consensus on the worst track(s) on the album that could/should have been left out?

Last edited by Alphavictim; 02-27-2018 at 04:34 PM..

Old 02-27-2018, 04:32 PM
Keep the Faith

I'd take out You Had Me From Hello.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:16 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

You Had Me From Hello, for sure, is the filler song to me. I loved the production style, subject matter, lyrics and delivery of Open All Night since long before it was resurrected in 2008. I don't think it should have closed the album but it's in my top 25 band songs.

I really still think putting Undivided and Everyday back to back was a bad move.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:20 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
I really still think putting Undivided and Everyday back to back was a bad move.
How so?

For me personally, the weird intro of The Distance (are those harmonics?) is always kinda rough after Everyday. Yeah, it's somewhat hooky and instantly recognizable, but it doesn't sound good IMO.

Would you two have substituted YHMFH for a different ballad or rather for something a little punchier?
Old 02-27-2018, 05:26 PM
Something for the Posts

I actually quite enjoy a lot of Bounce but I can't stand Joey...
Old 02-27-2018, 05:34 PM
These Days

Everyday. I never got the song and still don't. The title track is only slightly better. Undivided and Hook Me Up are both far superior as far as album's 'rockers' are concerned.

Unlike, most I do like all the ballads. Open All Night was always one of my semi-guilty pleasures and You Had Me From Hello has found a soft spot recently. All About Loving You is terribly produced, but tremendously written. So I'd keep all of them. Joey I guess is the weakest one, so that could go, but I wouldn't call it a bad song by any means.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:49 PM
Posting everyday

I never liked The Distance and would probably take that one off as well as Joey and Love Me Back To Life. Plus moving Open All Night from the album-closer-spot up a few ranks.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:05 PM
Price of posting

Can’t stand All about, Right side of wrong and you had me from hello.
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 02-27-2018, 06:28 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

I'd happy lose All About Loving You or You Had Me From Hello, and I'd swap Postcards or We Can Dance in instead.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:32 PM
These Days

Right Side of Wrong. I appreciate the effort and vision Jon had for that song, it's clear what he wanted to appreciate. But for me the entire story sounds forced and the entire song is quite meh. The highlight is the solo section which is great. In my book the only proper guitar solo on Bounce.

Hearing how people bash the recent solos, but in my opinion the solos on Bounce are really safe. Probably the most safe solos on a Bon Jovi album. I'm not using the word bad, because I enjoy solos that fit with the song - not being a fast rock solo for the sake of it.