Article about Richie's Misuse of the Flag

General BJ Discussion

Old 09-11-2002, 04:46 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Default Article about Richie's Misuse of the Flag

Posted by EvanW219 on BWJBJ board:

You're a Grand Old Apparel!

At halftime of the Giants-Niners opener on ESPN, Bon Jovi performed. Guitar wallah Richie Sambora, the one who's married to Heather Locklear -- she must see something in him, or at least in his wallet -- took the stage with an American flag wrapped around his waist. He strutted around thrusting out his butt, and thus the flag draped over his butt, at the crowd.

Now maybe somewhere in Richie Sambora's fuzzy cranial cavity the idea of wearing an American flag seemed like a 9/11 gesture. Or maybe it seemed like a way to get attention. Or maybe Richie Sambora was trying to tell us he thinks the American flag can kiss his butt. At any rate, this was a huge violation of flag protocol, and TMQ was distressed that the ESPN announcers said nothing, gushing about Bon Jovi while pretending the flag-on-the-butt wasn't happening.

According to the American Flag Code, Section 8(d), "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel." People who handle the flag -- soldiers, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, building directors and so on -- take the Flag Code very seriously. The flag is never to touch the ground; it can only fly after dark if lit by a bright light; there are approved and unapproved ways of folding and washing it, and so on. Flag-like patterns -- stars-and-stripes ski caps, swimsuits, whatever -- are unrestricted, since they can't be mistaken for actual flags. But the flag itself is a special object and should "never be used as wearing apparel."

Saying the flag can't be worn is different from saying it can't be burned. The First Amendment clearly protects the right to destroy the flag as a gesture of political speech, as the Supreme Court has ruled several times, most recently in 1990. The Court's ruling that year, striking down an anti-flag-burning law passed by Congress, enunciated a broad First Amendment license regarding political speech and the flag, but left open employment of the Flag Code to regulate propriety.

Today the version of the Flag Code linked to above is law in the District of Columbia and in any state that has not passed a successor code. The Giants-Niners game occurred in New Jersey, and the New Jersey state attorney general's office told TMQ accomplice and The New Republic super-intern Spencer Ackerman that Jersey has no flag code to supersede the D.C. code. Thus, that code was in effect at Giants Stadium, and Sambora broke it. (If Sambora was making some kind of political statement, he neglected to mention anything about it to anyone.)

Bad enough that Jon Bon Jovi didn't tell his employee, "For God's sake man, show a little respect." Bad enough that the NFL front office, with control over the event, didn't tell Sambora to show some respect or stay in the green room. Bad enough that the ESPN announcing team didn't know what to say. Bad enough that so few Americans know what's in the code governing the flag they claim to love that this wasn't a controversy the next day.

Worst, American Forces Network beamed that game around the world to the dozens of distant nations where selfless men and women of the U.S. military have gone to defend the kind of freedom that allows people like Sambora to become exceptionally rich by making loud, unintelligible noises. Soldiers watching the game in Kandahar or at the Bagram fire base -- watching with one ear cocked toward the perimeter for the freedom-hating fanatics they are risking their lives to stop -- must have been disgusted to see everyone clapping and gushing, while the American flag was wrapped around some rich punk's butt.

Old 09-11-2002, 05:40 AM
Posting Always

Only a country like America would have pathetic rules for what should be done with a flag. I find it stupid that you are not allowed to dispose of a US flag by throwing it in the rubbish bin, nor are you, yourself allowed to burn it. It has to be taken somewhere official, where it will get burned in a dignified way.

'This is a huge violation of flag protocol'. Comments like that are what makes America the laughing stock of the whole world, except that Americans don't realise that since most of them never actually travel more than 100 miles from their home throughout their whole life, and the American media doesnt seem to report what is actually happening outside of the US.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:47 AM
Posting Always

'freedom hating fanatics' - it is impossible to take anyone seriously who describes Americas enemies as this.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:16 AM
Jovi Fan

Send a message via AIM to LittleBonJoviGirl

I don't know if it's because my generation isn't really aware of this flag protocol or what, but I didn't find the flag-in-the-pants statement offensive. I was telling my 56-year old mother how tragically hip it looked just flowing while Richie jammed on the guitar when she told me that he was violating this code.

Which just goes to show - lots of people aren't aware of these rules. I'm sure Richie didn't intentionally tuck the flag in his pants to cause an uproar.

Secondly, I really think this reporter needs to calm down. Report the facts, and try to remain objective. His attempts at witty insults fail miserably and only illustrate him as a jealous journalist.

"For with God, NOTHING is impossible" - Luke 1:37

"Big hair makes the hips look small." - Fran Drescher
Old 09-11-2002, 06:21 AM
Posting Always

You didn't know about the protocol and you are american?
I ave known about it for a long time and I am from Europe.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:24 AM
Jovi Fan

Send a message via AIM to LittleBonJoviGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by krb102
You didn't know about the protocol and you are american?
I ave known about it for a long time and I am from Europe.
I knew about the rules for not burning the flag, not depicting images of the flag upside down, etc.; but no, never knew that wearing the flag was prone to cause an uproar.

"For with God, NOTHING is impossible" - Luke 1:37

"Big hair makes the hips look small." - Fran Drescher
Old 09-11-2002, 06:35 AM
Undiscovered Posts

I'm Canadian so maybe it's different but it a sign of national pride here to wear the flag if it's an actual flag or a shirt with the flag on it nobody cares. who ever wrote this is so caught up with details of the law instead of spirit of the law. they should look into issues ( freedom haters what the f@#k ?) instead of trying to cause problems for the people trying to live life and have fun. It almost seem like he would have been happy if Richie burned the flag.
P. S. when olympic ahletes drape the flag around them like a cape. Is it ok to wear the flag like a cape if not better yell at all your olympic hereos.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:40 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

Judgeing by what this guy wrote, I can't take him as a serious reporter.
"Guitar wallah Richie Sambora, the one who's married to Heather Locklear -- she must see something in him, or at least in his wallet -- took the stage with an American flag wrapped around his waist. He strutted around thrusting out his butt, and thus the flag draped over his butt, at the crowd. " I don't remember Richie "thrusting his butt at the crowd". Oh and the comment about what Heather and what she MUST see in him.

Quite a few of us don't know the entire flag protocol. It isn't taught in school here anymore. I know some of it. Like disposing of it the right way, you can not burn it, it is never to touch the ground. But some of these codes are just to extreme. " it can only fly after dark if lit by a bright light; there are approved and unapproved ways of folding and washing it, and so on." I mean I am American, my father died for this country, so I am not dissing Americans and freedom when I say this, but sometimes people lose sight of the fact that the flag is just cloth. Rules on washing it and folding it. It is almost like they worhship the flag or something. Maybe I am wrong. Btw, I see people leaving out their flags at night with out the bright light, and the people who had those little flags on their cars. I have seen some that were in rags. Are those people going to be punished?

I see so many famous people on tv "wearing" flags in various ways. Like someone said, the olympics we seeing our athletes draping flags over their shoulders. Jon himself wears a flag. Remember Madonna in the "go vote" commercial on Mtv? The list is endless.

And I really doubt our troops overseas were offended by Richie. But I am sure if they read this article they would be offended by this idiot.

Frankly, I don't see what was so offensive about what Richie did. As my (non-jovi) friend said, "it wasn't like he was wiping his butt with it". There are worse offenses this reporter needs to deal with. Oh yeah, and maybe he needs to get a life. Maybe he is just jealous that Richie is married to Heather.
Reach out to me
And I’ll be there for you
And even if you lose yourself
I’ll follow you anywhere…

~Apathy "Anywhere"
Old 09-11-2002, 08:55 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

When Richie came out at Times Square, I noticed the flag right away. Being a former Girl Scout, I knew it wasn't proper protocol. But let's face it, you've never seen the United States flag around more than you have this past year. Everyone is showing their partriotism in one way or another. I personally don't find harm in that. Also, I don't think Richie would have worn it that way had he known it would offend. Glad he was American enough to wear his colors! What if he had worn the colors of another country(no offense) to the gig? What would this so called "writer" have said then? He was anti-American? Geesh! Was protocol broken? Yes. Was it intentional? Doubt it very much! In my opinion, I don't think any of the band wanted to or would even try to offend veterans and others who have fought and served to protect our country and our flag. Most likely they didn't know. or maybe got caught up in the patriotism of things. Probably an honest oversight or lack of knowledge. (Or maybe they were bad Boy Scouts?!?!)
Looking at the bigger picture, there are worse things happening. Murderers, child molesters,etc. being set free, while jails become overcrowded with mandatory minimum drug offenders, just for starters. Terrorism, without saying, etc. This guy makes it sound like Richie belongs in the clink because he wore the flag. Umm hello, where's the real story, Mr. Journalist? Must have been a dull day sports wise... No matter what your social status, income, gender, etc. it is important that we are united, rich man, poor man, famous, unknown. Richie is just an easy target because he's in the spotlight. These days, everyone is a critic. Thanks for reading.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:12 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to JoviGirl

i think it was more of an opportunity for the reporter to take a shot at Richie than any anti-flag protocol issue. Haven't we seen many celebritys, and as earlier said, athletes, wear the flag, wrapped around or draped over themselves? Nothing much is said about that, other than this person is a proud American. I have seen Britney Spears in nothing but an American flag. But she is "America's sweetheart". She's showing her pride. And being naked with it isn't a bad thing? This reporter was showing a very uncivilized opinion of Richie Sambora right from the start. Sounds like a personal dislike to me.