Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Which Bon Jovi do you prefer?

General BJ Discussion

Old 04-17-2003, 11:42 PM
Livin' on a Post

Default Which Bon Jovi do you prefer?

Does anyone else feel that Bon Jovi have become much more a "chick band" since 2000? I've been a fan since 1994 and I can't get over the feeling that they have changed their image dramatically. Maybe it's me but I really see a difference between 1983-1996 and 2000-present. They changed their style during the first period but remained a rock band but now I have the feeling they decided to start taking advantage of their looks more. It's hard to put into words. Basically what I'm saying is that I don't see them as a rock band anymore but rather a band for girls. The singles they put out are more pop than rock. The last album is heavily polluted with ballads.

Maybe the change in how I perceive the band has a lot to do with how Jon looks. He looks like a Barby doesn't he? Peroxide hair and all and cashing in on his looks. He used to be less flashy in the old days. You may not agree but I think looks have become more important than music in the Bon Jovi camp and I don't like it. Maybe it's just me but I'd love to hear if anyone else feels the same.

Old 04-17-2003, 11:59 PM
Friends will be friends
Bounce

I personally don't care much about what they look like, as long as they keep making records. For me, Bon Jovi is about the music, not how they look, or what instruments they use, or what they play at concerts...I just love the music.

I love hearing live variations of my favourite tracks, collaborations with other artists, and some of the live covers are great too. They have a terrific energy onstage, and although I haven't been to any shows, that much is obvious from seeing footage.

They do it to give us great music, and we should enjoy that...not focus on how they look or dress.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:03 AM
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Posting Dead Or Alive

Thomas Anderson wrote:

Quote:
personally don't care much about what they look like, as long as they keep making records. For me, Bon Jovi is about the music, not how they look, or what instruments they use, or what they play at concerts...I just love the music.

I love hearing live variations of my favourite tracks, collaborations with other artists, and some of the live covers are great too. They have a terrific energy onstage, and although I haven't been to any shows, that much is obvious from seeing footage.

They do it to give us great music, and we should enjoy that...not focus on how they look or dress.
wow, excelent Portrayal or the band. Couldnt have said it ANY better myself. Well said Neil!
2010: NJ x3, London x4. 2011: Munich, Manchester, London, Dublin x2, Lisbon. 2012: RS London.
2013: Manchester, Birmingham, Dublin, London. 2014: RS Belfast. 2016: London. 2019: Dublin x2, Liverpool, London

Old 04-18-2003, 12:08 AM
Livin' on a Post

You completely missed my point. Everything has changed: music, looks, attitude. I just think they have become a pop band and put most of their efforts in their looks instead of music. What I'm saying is that they don't have the rock band image anymore. Would they qualify as a rock band if Crush and Bounce were their only 2 albums or would they be considered pop?

So if you don't care what instruments they use or what they play at their concerts and are happy with whatever they put out how do you rate if one album is better than the other? Are you saying you are happy with whatever they do regardless if it is good or not?
Old 04-18-2003, 12:13 AM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

They have always been a chick band right from the beginning, women swooning over them etc. Their style has changed, along with the fashion, like most other rock bands, unless you are Alice Cooper who has looked the same for 20+ yrs.

Just like fashion the music changes to and yes I think BJ have changed their music to suit the fashion also. Do I like all the changes , NO. But I can see that they have been needed to keep the new generation interested.

I think Jons voice has developed well though.

Dawn
Old 04-18-2003, 12:14 AM
Something for the Posts

Default Re: Which Bon Jovi do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_K
Does anyone else feel that Bon Jovi have become much more a "chick band" since 2000? I've been a fan since 1994 and I can't get over the feeling that they have changed their image dramatically. Maybe it's me but I really see a difference between 1983-1996 and 2000-present. They changed their style during the first period but remained a rock band but now I have the feeling they decided to start taking advantage of their looks more. It's hard to put into words. Basically what I'm saying is that I don't see them as a rock band anymore but rather a band for girls. The singles they put out are more pop than rock. The last album is heavily polluted with ballads.

Maybe the change in how I perceive the band has a lot to do with how Jon looks. He looks like a Barby doesn't he? Peroxide hair and all and cashing in on his looks. He used to be less flashy in the old days. You may not agree but I think looks have become more important than music in the Bon Jovi camp and I don't like it. Maybe it's just me but I'd love to hear if anyone else feels the same.
I have always thought that Bon Jovi has always been considered a "chick band" ever since Slippery When Wet became very successful. Ditto for bands like Def Leppard and Poison. Mainly because at that time "guys band" are supposed to be Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Carcass and all those good stuff So I guess that hasn't changed.

Jon has always had good looks... that's one of the reasons that they became successful. Sure they have the songs and the great live show, but if Jon looks like fat bastard, Bon Jovi would've gone nowhere and some of those groupies in backstage wouldn't be there!

There's nothing wrong with him using his looks as one of the ways to sell records. We guys like pretty girls, and girls like pretty boys. That's the way it's always been. And I think Jon was much 'flashier' back in the SWW/NJ era. Since I'm a guy, I don't pay much attention to his looks, so I can't really tell if now his looks matter more than the music. All I care is the music, as long as the albums have some tracks I enjoy, I'll buy them.

I agree that the music becomes more 'pop' starting with Crush, but hey it saved their career And I actually enjoy Crush more than These Days, although it is nowhere near the holy trinity of SWW, NJ and KTF. Bounce is so so in my opinion but I still have faith that I will enjoy parts of their next studio effort... whenever that will come out.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:17 AM
Friends will be friends
Bounce

Quote:
Are you saying you are happy with whatever they do regardless if it is good or not?
No. There are some songs I don't like too much, but Crush is my favourite album, and although it may seem more pop compared to Slippery When Wet or New Jersey is because the band is maturing, and their writing styles have changed. They now have more life experience, and although some of the songs are lighter than older ones, they are still a heck of a lot better than the best band of today.

There are some songs from Crush and Bounce that are harder rock tracks than some of the older tracks.

If you call Crush and Bounce pop, then you should re-consider calling Slippery When Wet rock. Livin' On A Prayer and You Give Love A Bad Name, as great as they are, are just as pop as It's My Life or Captain Crash, or even One Wild Night.

Like I said about not caring about the looks and stuff, I also don't care what genre they are put into. As long as they keep producing music that I like, they will remain my favourite band.

To quote Dave;

"People always try to put us into some classification, although they really can't"

(Crush DVD)
Old 04-18-2003, 12:21 AM
It's my post

tom_k i agree with you. they band has changed a lot. they have changed both their image and their music.
(and bounce would have been a lot better if it hadn't so many silly ballads )
Old 04-18-2003, 12:46 AM
I Wanna Rock
Jovi Freak

Send a message via MSN to {_Warrior_}

Quote:
Everything has changed: music, looks, attitude.
Totally agree.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:54 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Are we following the same band? Having been following this band for 14 years and communicating with their fans for almost as long, it seems to me there are a lot more males who are fans NOW than ever. Sure, some of them still come across as embarrassed to be a fan, but they're still there.

They were MUCH, MUCH flashier in the 1980's. *Everything* was much flashier in the 80's. LOL The looks have always been a selling point for this band and that's one reason the record company wanted Jon to sign solo. It's easier to market a single good looking male. There is a difference in that Jon seems more comfortable with his looks. He used to seem resentful every time someone commented on his looks. It truly did overshadow their talent for a long time. The fact is the band has stood the test of time and they keep drawing in an audience and filling those arenas and stadiums. That's the MUSIC and they KNOW it's the music. If people were going to a show for their looks, most could stay at home, play a video, and have a better view.

I think some fans take much more of an issue with the bands looks/image than the band does. It seems a lot, especially males, resent the fact that Jon is good looking. You know, some people hit the genetic jackpot and some don't. Should Jon gain 20 lbs and let his hair go gray to appease those few fans who are concerned with the band's image being too slick? I sure as hell wouldn't and I don't even have the pressure of being "perfect" for my job's sake. I think any self-respecting person who is in the world spotlight would take special care of themselves. Even those of us who aren't public figures take care of ourselves as much as we can. I mean, as long as I'm covering my gray hair do you think I can fault Jon, Richie, Tico, and Dave for hitting the bottle? LOL

Appreciate the music, but realize image is part of marketing and this is still a BUSINESS.

Becky