Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Circle Era

General BJ Discussion

Old 07-17-2020, 12:04 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post

However, I've also heard from sources that Jon and Richie actually weren't seeing eye to eye at all when it came to the sound direction of it. Richie wanted to go for a much more guitar-driven, anthemic sound, reminiscent of their 80's stadium hits and Jon, knowing how the sound went in the decade afterwards, was pretty much striving in another direction. That "compromise" is probably why this album sounds a bit off production and sound wise.
That makes sense. If the guitar was more prominent on this album it could be better but this album is where solos got even shorter (follow didnt have one and only got one as the fans kicked up a fuss) and by the time WAN came round there were hardly any and thats how its gone from there.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo

Old 07-17-2020, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

Gave The Circle a listen to based on he topic. Holds up better than I thought, even the production, whilst not at These Days or Lost Highway levels, is much clearer than the muddy mess that were to follow. Probably because it was the last album where they didn't have to do a huge amount of work to hide / improve Jon's vocals.

Even the weaker half of the album was more enjoyable than I remembered, plus studio versions of Follow and Working Man were a nice change, often miss out on listening to the original versions rather than concerts.

I would hope that Jon still rates Thorn In My Side, one of my favourite from the album and an absolute highlight for me live. The live era was the best time ever for me as a fan, thanks to going to multiple O2 shows and then HRC the following year.
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 07-17-2020, 04:54 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

I agree. I think it's VERY important to note he's not trashing the era (nor do I think he's trashing the album). To a LOT of us, it was the last great kick in the can as far as the band goes as a touring entity with Jon's voice and a good deal of rarities brought out of the cobwebs.

But hearing him talk negatively about something from 2009 brings me hope he's gotten more honest with fans.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:09 AM
Jovi FANatic

I am torn on this one, like all post 2000 albums.

If you had a choice to mix in the 4 new tracks from the greatest hits what songs would you swap from the Circle?
Old 02-20-2021, 01:57 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster73 View Post
I am torn on this one, like all post 2000 albums.

If you had a choice to mix in the 4 new tracks from the greatest hits what songs would you swap from the Circle?
I love The Circle so I wouldn't change much but the weak tracks on the album are When We Were Beautiful, Live Before You Die, and Fast Cars, and to a lesser extent, We Weren't Born to Follow and Learn to Love.

I think that This is Love This is Life, No Apologies, and The More Things Change are far better than these five album tracks. If This Is Our House could count, I would choose that one too. My tracklist would be something like this:

1. No Apologies
2. Work for the Working Man
3. Thorn in My Side
4. Superman Tonight
5. Bullet
6. The More Things Change
7. What Do You Got?
8. Brokenpromiseland
9. Love's the Only Rule
10. This Is Love, This Is Life
11. Happy Now
12. This Is Our House
Even innocence has caught the midnight train
And there ain't nobody left but us these days
Old 02-20-2021, 08:52 AM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
But hearing him talk negatively about something from 2009 brings me hope he's gotten more honest with fans.
He's only talking negatively because pretty much every song of the album went over like a lead balloon and it being the first album spawning absolutely no hit singles. This was supposed to be Bon Jovi's first "serious" rock album in 15 years and the plan was to convince everyone after Lost Highway that they were still a rock band as opposed to "having gone country". Yet instead they sound like a borderline parody/tribute act being neither.

Still, Jon kept insisting on playing most stuff when the atmosphere at every show during which more than 3 songs of that album were played was dreadful. Superman Tonight, When We Were Beautiful and Work For The Working Man sucked out all energy during every show and there's a reason why most other stuff was rarely played. The album's just full of mediocre songs that just didn't work. Instead of gaining back the fans they'd lost with their country phase they pretty much lost a large of that group of fans forever.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 02-20-2021, 10:29 AM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Send a message via MSN to liljovi93

Always loved The Circle. I've probably 'grown out of it' the longer time has gone on but some songs still hold up.

Love's The Only Rule is one of my favourite songs by the band. Loved it from the minute I heard it and then the first live performance, even though Jon messed a bit up, shown a more energetic side to Jon that we hadn't seen in a while.

Brokenpromiseland & Happy Now are quality songs. Love the intro to both!

Thorn In My Side is great but I prefer the live version.

Superman Tonight is excellent. From the snippet we got on some TV show or film, I loved it. Not into snippets much but I just knew I'd like this one.

Learn To Love is probably my favourite closer to an album. Not sure why. It isn't the best song in the world but I'll always remember listening to the album for the first time and thinking it ended well.

Live Before You Die & Fast Cars are songs that people would skip but I have a soft spot for them. Love the rasp Jon has on 'YOU FIGHTT' on Live Before You Die.

Not a fan of Follow, Beautiful or Working Man.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Bon Jovi - Old Trafford - June 26th 2003
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 4th 2006
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008
Bon Jovi - Old Trafford Cricket Ground - June 24th 2011
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 8th 2013
Bon Jovi - Slane Castle - June 15th 2013
Bon Jovi - Hyde Park - July 5th 2013
Bon Jovi - London Palladium - October 10th 2016
Excuse me, has anyone got a bottle of orange juice?!

Not afraid of Burning Bridges, cause I know they're gonna light my way...
Old 02-20-2021, 04:52 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

He's only talking negatively because pretty much every song of the album went over like a lead balloon and it being the first album spawning absolutely no hit singles. This was supposed to be Bon Jovi's first "serious" rock album in 15 years and the plan was to convince everyone after Lost Highway that they were still a rock band as opposed to "having gone country". Yet instead they sound like a borderline parody/tribute act being neither.

Still, Jon kept insisting on playing most stuff when the atmosphere at every show during which more than 3 songs of that album were played was dreadful. Superman Tonight, When We Were Beautiful and Work For The Working Man sucked out all energy during every show and there's a reason why most other stuff was rarely played. The album's just full of mediocre songs that just didn't work. Instead of gaining back the fans they'd lost with their country phase they pretty much lost a large of that group of fans forever.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Yeah but Jon is iron-clad into re-writing history to fit his version. It feels rare when he admits failure.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:58 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
That makes sense. If the guitar was more prominent on this album it could be better but this album is where solos got even shorter (follow didnt have one and only got one as the fans kicked up a fuss) and by the time WAN came round there were hardly any and thats how its gone from there.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
The solos had actually gotten LONGER from Bounce to Lost Highway, and certainly more stand out-ish... as much as I like the track, Bounce's solo is more of a melodic bit than a typical Richie solo.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:55 AM
Price of posting

So next week is 14 years since The Circle was released.

Whats your views on it? like it? hate it?

When JBJ was doing those mini album reviews he said this album doesnt hold up and that was few years ago now.

The O2 were great gigs and although the album is bang average the tour was the last great tour.

I dont think i love any songs on this but can listen to WWWB, Superman Tonight, Thorn in my side, Brokenpromiseland and loves the only rule. Few others i dont mind.

There never were any bonus tracks for this and apparently the 2 ear marked for bonus tracks were used on the GH album a year later.

views????

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo

Tags
the circle