Bon Jovi's Soul Keep On Rocking Towards Title

General BJ Discussion

Old 07-19-2008, 12:53 AM
These Days

Send a message via MSN to mo_rizwan
Default Bon Jovi's Soul Keep On Rocking Towards Title

18 July 2008
Bon Jovi's Soul Keep On Rocking Towards Title

Jon Bon Jovi's next stop on the road has nothing to do with his band's tour. Fresh off a free concert in Central Park, Bon Jovi is taking a break.

The rocker's Arena Football League team keeps on going. Up ahead for the Philadelphia Soul — the San Jose Sabercats in the ArenaBowl XXII in New Orleans. Bon Jovi will be there, but he'll leave his guitar and his greatest hits behind.

"I'm going there as the owner of the Soul," Bon Jovi said on Tuesday.

Jon Bon Jovi was set to meet with the Soul and the coaching staff before the band's final concert Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden. The team planned to present Bon Jovi with the National Conference trophy.

"It's really rewarding," he said by phone hours before the final show. "We're proud of the whole organization. We've built a team of character. Coach (Bret) Munsey has been everything that we've hoped for. Fingers crossed, one more to go."

The Soul won their first nine games and the Eastern Division title, and beat the Cleveland Gladiators 70-35 on Saturday to advance to their first title game. San Jose has won three of the last six ArenaBowl's and is looking to become the first repeat champions in 12 years. The Soul defeated San Jose 58-57 back in April.

They get at least a night to celebrate with their famous boss.

"Then they can go back and get to work," Bon Jovi said.

Sure, San Jose has all the titles, but it doesn't have the worldwide recognition that Bon Jovi gives the Soul on every tour stop. He wears the Soul jersey at packed arenas around the globe and even dedicated a tune to the band at Saturday night's free concert in front of 60,000 fans on the park's Great Lawn.

While the concert started hours after the Soul won the conference title, Bon Jovi was too jittery to watch. He caught a replay of league MVP Matt D'Orazio leading the Soul to victory after the concert was finished.

"It was impossible for me to consider watching it live," he said. "I would have been too caught up in it. So I shut off the phones and the computer and television, closed the doors and just concentrated on playing Central Park that night."

Bon Jovi then performed at Madison Square Garden on Monday and Tuesday as part of its "Lost Highway" tour.

"I feel like a prize fighter answering that bell for the 15th round and I've got to go to the Garden," he said.

One arena the band likely won't play again is the Spectrum in Philadelphia. The Spectrum, once home to title-winning 76ers and Flyers teams, will close in 2009 and be demolished to make way for an entertainment development. Bon Jovi, whose band played there 14 times, called the arena's closing a "sad day."

"It's a dark day in Philadelphia," he said. "It's a great piece of history. Some of my favorite (memories), some of my greatest, both as the owner of the Soul, as a performer, and even as a concert goer (were there)."

Bon Jovi planned a short vacation before heading to New Orleans. Bon Jovi — who has become as much of a philanthropist as he has a rock star — once donated $1 million to Oprah's Angel Network to help aid in relief of victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Serving as the face of his band, his football team and his charitable foundation tires Bon Jovi, but he has no plan to give up any of his jobs. He wants to own an NFL team one day, though he has no plans of selling the Soul.

"It's been a lot of fun, it really has," he said. "We're really made an impression now in Philadelphia and the league. We're certainly one of, if not the premier team in the league. We're the team that's best known."

As for Tuesday's tour finale? It's not curtains on the band yet. Bon Jovi said the band plans to keep on rocking for as long as the fans are belting out all the songs, filling stadiums and buying the music.

"I don't envision myself necessarily living out of a suitcase at 64 like (Mick) Jagger, but (the Rolling Stones) are the benchmark," he said. "When they decide to call it a day, then the rest of us can look at our calendars and decide how to take it. As long as we're having No. 1 albums and you can't get a ticket to the show, why should I quit?"

Source: Associated Press

Old 07-19-2008, 02:04 AM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

thanks Mo great article.. Soul have done so well.

This line warms the cockles of my heart WOO HOO

As for Tuesday's tour finale? It's not curtains on the band yet. Bon Jovi said the band plans to keep on rocking for as long as the fans are belting out all the songs, filling stadiums and buying the music.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bon-Jo...41182859285688

JOVITALK LIVING ON A PRAYER VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkHD8FJtJQ4

Dry County 8th June 2010 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB3Yi...eature=related

ALL I NEED IS YOU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-UDWk6e_aE
Old 07-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Jovi Addict

Send a message via AIM to JJx23

It is a great article, that's for sure! The band isn't going anywhere for a long time, so we have plenty of tours to look forward to!

I hope the next tour is a Greatest Hits Tour, but a tour that also plays songs like Dry County, Stick to your Guns, Hey God, Always, etc more often. I mean I shouldn't have noted Always since that is a greatest hit, but still, you get what I mean... I just think these other songs that don't get much recognition in certain places, should get more! It would definitely broaden the casual fan's minds and they would appreciate more of Bon Jovi's music.

Bon Jovi will never have trouble selling out arenas and stadiums, they are a historic band that have broken a lot of world records, and they are one of the very few who have played Central Park. I look at it this way, as long as they can sell 2 or more nights out at Giant's Stadium, they are fine. We all know that they could sell 10 nights out at Giant's Stadium, but that's a lot of nights haha. They sold out 10 nights at the Prudential Center.

I am psyched for Jon's team. He must be going ape shit, but he is a great guy, and he must be a great owner. I rest my case. Jon is the man!

Regards,

Jason F.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJx23 View Post
It is a great article, that's for sure! The band isn't going anywhere for a long time, so we have plenty of tours to look forward to!

I hope the next tour is a Greatest Hits Tour, but a tour that also plays songs like Dry County, Stick to your Guns, Hey God, Always, etc more often. I mean I shouldn't have noted Always since that is a greatest hit, but still, you get what I mean... I just think these other songs that don't get much recognition in certain places, should get more! It would definitely broaden the casual fan's minds and they would appreciate more of Bon Jovi's music.

Bon Jovi will never have trouble selling out arenas and stadiums, they are a historic band that have broken a lot of world records, and they are one of the very few who have played Central Park. I look at it this way, as long as they can sell 2 or more nights out at Giant's Stadium, they are fine. We all know that they could sell 10 nights out at Giant's Stadium, but that's a lot of nights haha. They sold out 10 nights at the Prudential Center.

I am psyched for Jon's team. He must be going ape shit, but he is a great guy, and he must be a great owner. I rest my case. Jon is the man!

Regards,

Jason F.
Well, Central Park isn't that great of an accomplishment, considering tickets were free. But I completly agree with the rest of your statement. It would be really cool if they played the last concert at Giants stadium. That would be amazing.

Go Soul!