Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Runaway Tour Sept 23-25 Las Vegas

Tour Discussion

Old 10-13-2018, 06:30 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
Jon has completely and utterly morphed into someone his younger self would be embarrassed of. These Runaway Tours package’s are disgusting.

They know there are some obsessed fans out there who will pay these crazy prices, so they happily take advantage of that blind devotion. What’s on offer? I’ll hazard a guess....Shit VIP experiences, poor sets, garbage vocals, dialled in performances.
I agree with you and Eveline about what a younger Jon might think of himself today. (But then again, I wouldn't want to know what my 20-y.o. self would think of me nowadays, either.)

I have never seen the value of the "VIP experiences" fans get in exchange for the ridiculous prices of RTs or the VIP concert packages. Paying more for seats so you can actually see the band, without depending on a jumbotron, makes sense to me; but the other perks like fan receptions, group photo ops, and folding chairs, not so much.

When it comes to the RT performances, however, I have to disagree. I think Jon sounds better and seems to enjoy himself in the those shows much more than he does in the full band concerts anymore. They actually seem less "dialed in" to me. Maybe it's because it's more intimate or because he knows that anybody who's willing to pay those prices won't mind if he doesn't play the hits and they'll appreciate whatever songs he chooses to sing that night. Whatever the reason, he seems much more engaged in the less formal and less structured setting.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:02 PM
Jovi Freak

I went to the Bahamas RT trip in 2015, setlists were pretty good... latest setlists are pretty boring to me, maybe in the cruises he can put a better setlist...
Old 10-14-2018, 04:36 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
I agree with you and Eveline about what a younger Jon might think of himself today. (But then again, I wouldn't want to know what my 20-y.o. self would think of me nowadays, either.)

I have never seen the value of the "VIP experiences" fans get in exchange for the ridiculous prices of RTs or the VIP concert packages. Paying more for seats so you can actually see the band, without depending on a jumbotron, makes sense to me; but the other perks like fan receptions, group photo ops, and folding chairs, not so much.

When it comes to the RT performances, however, I have to disagree. I think Jon sounds better and seems to enjoy himself in the those shows much more than he does in the full band concerts anymore. They actually seem less "dialed in" to me. Maybe it's because it's more intimate or because he knows that anybody who's willing to pay those prices won't mind if he doesn't play the hits and they'll appreciate whatever songs he chooses to sing that night. Whatever the reason, he seems much more engaged in the less formal and less structured setting.

Good point. Perhaps I should have replaced dialled-in with safe. I agree he does seem less stressed and more relaxed but the sets are very safe.

For this sort of money I would expect lots of rarities, interesting set changes, good vocals.

This is a money making exercise. (Not to be confused with he’s ONLY doing it for money - I’m sure he gets much enjoyment from this type of gig)

Of course people deserve paying for providing a service, but this is greed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2018, 06:40 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
Good point. Perhaps I should have replaced dialled-in with safe. I agree he does seem less stressed and more relaxed but the sets are very safe.

For this sort of money I would expect lots of rarities, interesting set changes, good vocals.

This is a money making exercise. (Not to be confused with he’s ONLY doing it for money - I’m sure he gets much enjoyment from this type of gig)

Of course people deserve paying for providing a service, but this is greed.

Can't argue with any of that. (Stop laughing!)

I also think one of the main reasons for the Runaway shows is that Jon seems to have trouble adjusting to life off the road. He's smart enough to realize that even with shorter tours and longer breaks, he still can't keep Bon Jovi on the road in a continuous round of touring. So while "the" band breaks, he fills in the gap with the RTs and his other band, to get his fix. Since those venues are smaller and there aren't as many tickets to sell to begin with, the prices are higher to make up the difference. That way he can justify it to himself as a money-making venture, rather than acknowledging that it's an escape mechanism.

(Don't you just love arm-chair psychoanalysis?)
Old 10-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
Can't argue with any of that. (Stop laughing!)

I also think one of the main reasons for the Runaway shows is that Jon seems to have trouble adjusting to life off the road. He's smart enough to realize that even with shorter tours and longer breaks, he still can't keep Bon Jovi on the road in a continuous round of touring. So while "the" band breaks, he fills in the gap with the RTs and his other band, to get his fix. Since those venues are smaller and there aren't as many tickets to sell to begin with, the prices are higher to make up the difference. That way he can justify it to himself as a money-making venture, rather than acknowledging that it's an escape mechanism.

(Don't you just love arm-chair psychoanalysis?)

I think you’re right. I would love someone to ask him directly in an interview why he thinks these prices are justified!