Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Jon's use of autotune?

General BJ Discussion

Old 02-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Default Jon's use of autotune?

When listening to "scars on this guitar" , I am pretty sure I hear autotune. Right when he says "I find the lights" I hear a robotic pitch shift. I don't know why he would do this, as he can sing it perfectly live, with no pitch issues. Am I imagining it? Also, in 2013, it seems that he may have used a pitch correcting microphone/soundboard filter to fix patchy vocals. Eg, listen to the chorus of this because we can tour version of these days.
https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=...?v=4xbboyqb0cY

Last edited by Samdoyle1987; 02-08-2017 at 07:44 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Next 100 Posts

I think nowadays pitch correction is used in every song in any album. It's faster that way. And the show from the video was streamed with some delay and they corrected some vocals, but Jon sang live.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:53 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdoyle1987 View Post
When listening to "scars on this guitar" , I am pretty sure I hear autotune. Right when he says "I find the lights" I hear a robotic pitch shift. I don't know why he would do this, as he can sing it perfectly live, with no pitch issues. Am I imagining it? Also, in 2013, it seems that he may have used a pitch correcting microphone/soundboard filter to fix patchy vocals. Eg, listen to the chorus of this because we can tour version of these days.
https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=...?v=4xbboyqb0cY
Hi,

Your link does not work, but if it is the New Jersey broadcast, it is pitch corrected. Pitch correction is used throughout that broadcast. It was not done live, it was added afterwards.

Cheers
Old 02-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Livin' on a Post

Jon has probably used some pitch correction on records since it came available (since Crush), but it only became noticeable from Have a Nice Day onwards.
And yes, it is the scourge of our times, can't believe how many good singers utilise without any real reason. Since they are capable of delivering a perfect take in the studio. It ruins whole songs IMO.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Send a message via AIM to Grantos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampinen View Post
Jon has probably used some pitch correction on records since it came available (since Crush), but it only became noticeable from Have a Nice Day onwards.
And yes, it is the scourge of our times, can't believe how many good singers utilise without any real reason. Since they are capable of delivering a perfect take in the studio. It ruins whole songs IMO.
100% agree, it's used more than ever now. Some current pop singers don't have great voices, so the pitch correction is used too much making their voices sound borderline robotic. It's the way things are going, yes it's been used forever, but there are singers out there that are very good and don't need it overdone.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:53 PM
Livin' on a Post

Since the last posts generalized the discussion, I have a feeling that here is a good spot to place some off topic abstract piece of discourse.

I am wondering whether it is not the case, that big money who own the big media are content in promoting a degeneration of the general culture into precisely what they can from afar provide and dictate. Hence yes, anything that is human and in human scale gets bashed, in favor of some mass produced, flashy but simplistic in its core .. abuse.

No?
Old 02-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Keep the Faith

I don't blame autotune I blame X Factor and American Idol. Those shows have taught people that the only way to sing good is to sing perfectly, not passionately. Now, when the technology is available, who wouldn't run it through a subtle autocorrect to avoid being told they can't sing by hordes of keyboard warriors?

Its use on the live show 'official recordings' is a little less forgivable though.

Milton Keynes 1 (HAND), Manchester & Bristol (LH), Dublin 2 (2011), Dublin 2 (THINFS)
Old 02-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

I watched a YouTube that a guy did of a friend of his singing. She was awful. Then he did all his musical "magic" when she sang again and I swear it sounded wonderful! If you had just listened to the second time she sang, you would have wondered why a recording label hadn't signed her up.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:42 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J. Always View Post
I watched a YouTube that a guy did of a friend of his singing. She was awful. Then he did all his musical "magic" when she sang again and I swear it sounded wonderful! If you had just listened to the second time she sang, you would have wondered why a recording label hadn't signed her up.
Can you share it?
Hit the sunrise, scared the daylight out of me...
Old 02-12-2017, 05:10 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantos1 View Post
100% agree, it's used more than ever now. Some current pop singers don't have great voices, so the pitch correction is used too much making their voices sound borderline robotic. It's the way things are going, yes it's been used forever, but there are singers out there that are very good and don't need it overdone.
Unfortunately that doesn't apply for Jon anymore.