Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Who Do You Think Got Worse Vocals- Jon or Axl?

General BJ Discussion

View Poll Results: Who got a crappier voice these days?
Jon 23 71.88%
Axl 9 28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2018, 04:00 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

I've voted Axl. He's had a window in his career when he'd sound amazing but this was 87-91. After, he was always pretty much hit and miss. People look back on the UYI tours thinking it was all brilliant but on many nights Axl sounded awful. Good on one song, terrible on the next batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0r View Post
Axl has indeed had major voice issues 2010-2014, he straight up sounded like Mickey Mouse. I imagine he started working with a vocal coach, because he has been on point since the GNR reunion. Anyone online saying otherwise is just trolling the fan base.
Yeah, or he's/she's just not as deaf as you are.

Axl sounds dreadful when singing the Guns N' Roses stuff. Yes, he sounded brilliant during the AXl/DC shows but ever since GnR reunited he's grown back into doing Mickey Mouse. You're not able to hear so in concert because he gets drowned in the mix but just click on any song from the reunion tour and it sounds dreadful.

The sad thing is he deliberately sounds like this because he's working with a vocal coach. His original way of singing was damaging his vocal chords so he's had to resort to another way of singing which is this weird falsetto sound he's making nowadays. There's the occasional raspy scream or verse but for the most part his range is gone.

Quote:
Yes, his public ego was his worst enemy but that aside, he's actually very similar to Jon on multiple levels. He's very business savvy. He obviously owns the GnR name and one of the reasons why he got rid of Slash, Duff and some of the others is because of their self destructive ways.
Suuuure. Because Axl wasn't self-destructive with the many lawsuits, numerous anger issues, mental breakdowns, many delays, huge studio bills and let's not forget, the many yes-people he surrounded himself with.

Axl got rid of Slash, Duff and pretty much everyone else because he had a vision for GnR the others just didn't want to be part off. It's been well documented as long as you stick to the facts as opposed to whatever bullshit Axl, Slash and to a certain extent, Duff spout off in interviews.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Old 10-24-2018, 08:29 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Axl sounds dreadful when singing the Guns N' Roses stuff. Yes, he sounded brilliant during the AXl/DC shows but ever since GnR reunited he's grown back into doing Mickey Mouse. You're not able to hear so in concert because he gets drowned in the mix but just click on any song from the reunion tour and it sounds dreadful.

The sad thing is he deliberately sounds like this because he's working with a vocal coach. His original way of singing was damaging his vocal chords so he's had to resort to another way of singing which is this weird falsetto sound he's making nowadays. There's the occasional raspy scream or verse but for the most part his range is gone.
For the most part you are right, but one small thing - Axl/DC thing was in the middle of the reunion, not before (as your sentence structuring would suggest). Which means that his 'mickey' style of singing during GNR (minus 4-5 songs per show like I said in my response) is more of a choice than "for the most part his range being gone". It's interesting how he sounded like if he toured with AC/DC for more than two legs, but he did not show any signs of slowing down at the end of the NA leg, so maybe it's more sustainable than we thing and his singing during GNR is all down to his laziness as supposed to 'vocal preservation'. My guess that it's some combination of both.

Still, I'd take this version of Axl - 100% set in original key with a few killer performances per show and remaining songs sounding OK due to drawn out acoustics in a stadium - over what Jon is doing at this time. Thus, I really struggle to understand that the voting results at the moment, while in Axl's favor, are still somewhat competitive.

Last edited by Walleris; 10-24-2018 at 08:32 PM..
Old 10-24-2018, 09:03 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Send a message via Yahoo to sweetmisery

For me, Jon sounded better. Been to Sao Paulo concert of both last year. Jon doesnt sound good. Axl doesnt sound good.

But Jon atleast sounds like Jon(a weaker version but still Jon). Axl for the most part except a few songs doesnt sound like Axl. Mickey Mouse is really embarrassing. You wont notice it or not mind it with the concert rush you are feeling, but if you really listen to it, it is cringe. A rasp here and there doesnt really make up for the rest.

Maybe if he shorten the setlist from 30 songs to 20, he can pull it off.

That said, both cant touch Steven Tyler these days. Saw Aerosmith too last year, and damn... is he even human?
Old 10-25-2018, 09:38 AM
Price of posting

Always thought both were great back in the day.
When in prime it’s hard to separate.
Nowadays Axl has some issues but not as many as Jon.
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 10-25-2018, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

Axl sounded fine to me last year at the London show, although I'd probably prefer Jon from 2013 backwards. JBJ 2015 onwards is far worse, and outside of the palladium show (where his voice was fine on the new songs but poor on the 2 older songs) it's hard to judge apart from on YT vids for which the decline is well documented.

It's just weird with Jon's voice, all the way up to and including 2013 it's had varying degrees of quality, but it was still the same voice. From 2015 onwards it declined to the point that it sounds completely like a different voice altogether. Whatever the reasons, based on the last show Axl nudges it over Jon, but yet to feel in the flesh in the stadium how Jon's current voice sounds compared to the WAN tour which was acceptable (on the UK shows at least)
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 10-25-2018, 04:52 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Is this even a question? Jon by a longshot.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:35 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

Jon is way worse of course.

He can't sing his own songs, and can no longer hold the attention of the crowd.

If I was him I would no longer want to go out and embarrass myself, but he has every right to do it so good luck to him!! I hope he can get back to 2010 levels at least.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:05 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedingguitar View Post
I hope he can get back to 2010 levels at least.
He can't. I think it's clear for all of us by now.

https://youtu.be/U28c4-6rr-c

https://youtu.be/q9RPebGaVyM

There's no way Jon could ever pull off songs like that anymore. His voice is just too far gone.

Last edited by BJFan99; 10-27-2018 at 12:16 PM..
Old 10-28-2018, 10:19 AM
Jovi FANatic

Axl may not have been as wild as Slash/Duff with drink/drugs but he was way more ****ed up mentally.

He was obsessive, controlling, prone to wild mood swings.

Faith No More told a story about when who they supported GnR and how Axl invited them to come to his trailer and when they arrived, there were two female groupies performing a sex act on each other! Axl was no saint!

As for who is worse. They are both shocking at times. I think Jon’s decline is more obvious to an untrained ear, but Axl isn’t much better from the videos I’ve seen. How the mighty have fallen.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:58 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

I've been to a GNR concert last year in Prague. Axl sounded fine, I haven't heard Jon live since 2013, so I'd go for Jon. Performing wise though Jon > Axl. Axl was a bit static, left the stage often during jams and solos while Slash and Duff were the heartbeat of the show as they were amazing full of energy!

GNR show as an overall was a great experience for me and I would definitely pay to see them again! Worth the trip on a bus from Greece to Czech Republic